PDA

View Full Version : Electric releaser help

mapleman3
03-02-2004, 10:51 AM
Waiting for My favorite friend.. The UPS guy, coming with my releaser today or tomorrow. Anybody out there using electric releasers care to give any pointers? does the vac run at the same time the pump emptys the releaser tank? do I put a check valve between the releaser and the pump? and any maint. on the float assembly inside. what precautions from freezing do you do??? I know ...lots of questions but this is the place to ask as I sit here wearing my new MapleTrader.com sweatshirt 8) you all need to buy some stuff with the logo and help the website... plus they are cool looking while boiling :wink:

howden86
03-02-2004, 09:49 PM
i just replaced my electric releaser with a mechancil one. i kept the pump and releaser heated with a small building and light bulb so i did not have to unhook it. i had problems with mine not pumping the sap out so now i also will have a moisture trap with a float switch to shut the pump off in case of problems. the float slide to turn the pump on and off should be lubricated bacause the sap gets on it and can stick the float switch.
the vaccum runs while the pump is pumping sap out. a check valve goes between the pump and storage tank and i believe after the tee in the discharge line.

good luck i changed mine into a moisture trap

Parker
03-03-2004, 04:37 AM
HI Jim
I dont know much about this vacume deal yet, I did work on getting my unit together for some time yesterday. I dont know how your pump is set up but on mine there was no vacume regulator. I was told that you can put a valve between the pump and releaser and crack it open to regulate the vacume, but, when I was at Bascomes bought a regulator. On the manual releaser I got there is a spot for a vacume gauge on the manifold. I should know more tonight as I will be trying to compleat and deploy the setup today best of luck Parker

mapleman3
03-03-2004, 05:38 AM
Parker, Rick (syrupmaker) set me up with the pump, and said the same thing you said about the valve for regulating. I did buy a vac gauge, which will go in the threaded hole at the top of my releaser also. did you pipe yours in schedule 40 PVC? thats what I'm hoping to do, don't want to bother with all that threaded pipe.

Parker
03-03-2004, 06:21 PM
As if I did not have enough mechainical pains in the $%% allready. Lets try a little used VACUME JUNK!!! AHHHHHHHHH.

Sorry, I had a little pump trouble today, but I should be better after several of the Ice Cold Malted bevrages....

No I went with 3 trip to the hardware store conversion to 2" black pipe so I can have the pump/moter in a shed 60 feet from the releaser/tank.

mapleman3
03-03-2004, 06:25 PM
I did a dry run with piping tonight.. came out great. looks enormous, but thats cuz all is on a skid and packed together.. can't wait to use it by this weekend!!

http://www.desjardinsmaple.com/vac_setup.JPG

syrupmaker
03-03-2004, 07:03 PM
Jim...nice so far but i believe i mentioned to you to use a sheeve pulley on the pump drive. I know they are pricy but the problem will be keeping the set screw tight and keeping the driven pulley from sloping the center bore out.The sheeve type grips at 360* all around the shaft. Other than that what a plumber you are!!!! :wink:

Rick

mapleman3
03-03-2004, 07:07 PM
Master I'm sorry, yes I did try to get off cheap :( will it be that bad? how long before she does it? I worked the keyway in nice, fits like a glove,

syrupmaker
03-03-2004, 07:10 PM
Silly ol' bear....it may go forever if the key is tight,AND STAYS TIGHT. Might want to try a splash of green loctite on shaft, pulley and set screw. If you do need to take it back apart the green will soften for removal with some torch heat.

Master :roll:

OOPS Rick

mapleman3
03-03-2004, 07:14 PM
Maybe with the 1.5 hp and lower RPM it may do fine. I will get the loctite for sure... Thanks a bunch Bud... it will be nice to not have a tank down there and have the releaser pumped right to the sugarhouse !! :)

Brian
03-04-2004, 05:05 PM
Congratulations Jim on your releaser. Did you get her up and humpin' yet? Sap rolling yet? She looks like a good setup, if the sap stops rolling down there, we can bring her up here to vermont and test it out :lol:

mapleman3
03-04-2004, 05:41 PM
seting it in the bush tonight, and hooking to the electric, and hopefully test it too, want to try it tomorrow for sure.

syrupmaker
03-05-2004, 10:55 AM
Jim...now that the pump and releaser are setting at the bush there is the sap flowing today? Should have 50 gallons at least by tommorrow!!!

Rick

mapleman3
03-05-2004, 12:28 PM
thats if I run it tonight. I still have a few things left to do... it will run tonight oh yes it will run

syrupmaker
03-05-2004, 01:53 PM
Jim.... I was just looking at your picture again of the pump and releaser. Where you foaming at the mouth that bad when i dropped the pump off that it blocked your hearing.It looks like you only have a single groove pulley on the motor and pump.????????????????????? Might not be able to get enough torqe through the single belt to bite on the pulleys and spin the pump.

Rick

mapleman3
03-05-2004, 02:47 PM
I checked with my motor guy up here(not to judge your expertise) :wink: and he said I should be fine, it turns it no problem, it that changes I will quickly go get the double WITH the bushing :lol: trying to save a few before I get started... :? :oops: Live and Learn my friend huh!!