PDA

View Full Version : Where can I buy 3/4" mainline PVC tubing?

longlivenintendo
01-21-2016, 10:10 AM
Hey guys,

I've been finding some maple farm sites selling Polyethylene tubing but because I don't want my tubing to be a permanent installation I hear PVC is best for re installation. Where can I find some sellers?

Cheers,

Ben

longlivenintendo
01-21-2016, 10:23 AM
http://www.lowes.com/pd_289924-61002-APPB10034_0__?zipCode=10918&k_clickID=8f6c0915-e2ea-46aa-a805-b449196132a9&address2=&state=NY&address1=3924+Summerville+Way&store_code=540&catalogId=10051&productId=3660044&city=Chester&selectedLocalStoreBeanArray=%5Bcom.lowes.commerce. storelocator.beans.LocatorStoreBean%40ac70ac7%5D&storeNumber=0540&kpid=3660044&cm_mmc=SCE_PLA-_-RoughPlumbingElectrical-_-PexPipeAndFittings-_-3660044%3AApollo&langId=-1&CAWELAID=&CAWELAID=1375807976&storeId=10151

is this the same stuff that can be used?

unc23win
01-21-2016, 10:43 AM
I guess I am curious as to why pic would be easier to take down? Seems to me maple tubing would be easier to take down and reinstall next season as it is a quite a bit easier to work with than pex as far as unspooling and spooling. Sure you have to be careful not to kink it. If I were going to take it down after each season I would use maple tubing the smallest diameter suitable for the number of taps 3/4" is probably a good choice and then I would get an old spool from electric co or phone co and use that to spool it back up. Also I am not sure how you are planning on running your lines, but 3/4" saddles might not fit pex often times water pipe has a bigger OD than sap tubing.

longlivenintendo
01-21-2016, 11:26 AM
I guess I am curious as to why pic would be easier to take down? Seems to me maple tubing would be easier to take down and reinstall next season as it is a quite a bit easier to work with than pex as far as unspooling and spooling. Sure you have to be careful not to kink it. If I were going to take it down after each season I would use maple tubing the smallest diameter suitable for the number of taps 3/4" is probably a good choice and then I would get an old spool from electric co or phone co and use that to spool it back up. Also I am not sure how you are planning on running your lines, but 3/4" saddles might not fit pex often times water pipe has a bigger OD than sap tubing.

I was going off of an instruction manual on tubing installation and they say that PVC is used to take down and reinstall every year.

unc23win
01-21-2016, 11:55 AM
Well your all set then.

West Mountain Maple
01-21-2016, 01:10 PM
i don't think pex is pvc, cross linked polyethylene, to rigid to work with standard maple fittings, and as stated probably different diameter

mellondome
01-21-2016, 02:14 PM
I was going off of an instruction manual on tubing installation and they say that PVC is used to take down and reinstall every year.

What manual is this? What was its publication date?

DrTimPerkins
01-21-2016, 02:37 PM
I hear PVC is best for re installation.

You should probably use semi-rigid polyethylene (standard semi-rigid maple tubing) for the laterals and droplines, and either standard black water pipe or maple mainline tubing for your mainlines. PVC was standard in the industry as lateral/dropline tubing 30 yrs ago, but has been supplanted by polyethylene tubing, which is far superior for lots of reasons. Don't get your tubing from a hardware store (unless they carry maple tubing)...buy the real thing. Otherwise the fittings may not work depending upon the ID of the tubing, and the real rigid stuff that you will find at those places will be quite difficult to work with.

OldManMaple
01-21-2016, 03:35 PM
From the description in the link you provided,
note the last line:

3/4-in x 100-ft 160-PSI PEX Pipe

For use with hot and cold potable water applications
Flexible and lightweight
Suitable for harsh water conditions
Corrosion and freeze damage resistant
Do not store or install in direct sunlight

tuckermtn
01-21-2016, 05:47 PM
CDL Rapidtube?

WESTMAPLES
01-22-2016, 08:34 AM
note the last line
Do not store or install in direct sunlight i would believe that do not store or install is referring to the fact that sun ex poser makes it brittle, i have 800 plus feet of blue pex in use, its potable water grade, the inside diameter is slightly bigger,and one bush i rollup and unroll 360 ft of it in 20 degree temps. yes it can be a pain but i got 2 new - 500 ft rolls of blue for 1/4 the list price due to some shipping damage for the first year i installed mainlines ( very cost effective), still works great and keeps sap cooler than the black waterline. anything new i install now 4 years later i use leader p30 which is easy to work with no matter what.