PDA

View Full Version : Time to tap or premature?

Daveinpa
01-20-2016, 10:40 AM
Hi folks, With the EL Nino having thrown the weather for a loop this year, is it time to tap this year or is it still too early? Next week's forecast looks like last year's late February weather. I'm thinking I should get the taps in the trees now. What is everyone else doing? I'm located in NE Pa.

Thanks!

unc23win
01-20-2016, 01:27 PM
Well a few have already tapped and made syrup and some are getting ready to tap. It pretty much depends on where in PA you are and how long it will take you to tap. The season in Southern PA usually is 2-4 weeks ahead of northern PA while others are tapping early because they have a large amount of taps and they are hoping for some early runs. As for myself in north central Pa if I can believe the long forecast I might start tapping Feb 1 which would be the earliest for me. However I have never seen the long term forecast be accurate past 5 days so things might change between now and then.

Jim Brown
01-20-2016, 01:47 PM
Its not spring yet!
we tap around Feb 14th give or take
Jim

bkell947
01-20-2016, 04:03 PM
Hey there,
I'm in schuylkill county, I am tapping my trees January 30th.

PA TAPPER
01-20-2016, 05:01 PM
I am in Northern Berks County PA and tapped on January 1st. Had 4 small runs so far ( 475 Gallon of sap collected from 143 taps on 3/16" tubing ). Sweetened my 2x6 drop flue and drew off 4 gal syrup so far. I tapped early because I am pulling maple taps on Feb 28th and tapping Walnut trees for March / April runs.

psparr
01-20-2016, 06:10 PM
Hey Pa tapper, where abouts in berks? I'm from Birdsboro, but tap in Huntington county.

PA TAPPER
01-20-2016, 08:34 PM
Hey Pa tapper, where abouts in berks? I'm from Birdsboro, but tap in Huntington county.

I live on a farm between Lenhartsville and Kempton. Not too far from the Berks, Schulykill , Lehigh county tri corner. I will send a PM.

Z/MAN
01-20-2016, 08:45 PM
Dave I am in NEPA around Moscow and I usually tap around Feb 14th.

3GoatHill
01-20-2016, 09:24 PM
Feb 14th weekend for us too.

Maplewalnut
01-21-2016, 08:36 AM
You will find a lot of variables in your question. First of course is where in Pa are you. I am at 1900 feet so a lot different temps than others even 20 miles away. Tubing guys on vacuum tend to tap sooner than gravity or bucket guys because the holes stay 'cleaner' longer. North facing or south facing taps will make a difference. When you figure it out let us know because the last few years I have tapped within a range of 5 weeks difference anywhere from early Jan to last week in Feb. Good luck and enjoy

pennslytucky
01-23-2016, 02:34 PM
I think I'm just gonna go ahead and tap mine and see what happens. The extended forecast is pretty mild, and the few little maple branches I've cut in the past week are all running from the cut.

Sugarmaker
01-23-2016, 03:27 PM
Haven't been into it to much this year. Looked at the long range forecast today for the first time. If you can believe any of it then I should be out doing something! We might get a little warm up above freezing by next week? We try to be ready and tap around Feb mid. Might get going a little earlier if the weather actually does warm up some.
Still a few things to rework in the sugarhouse. Sap plumbing from the holding tanks to evaporator needs re-designed and updated.
All road side tubing, base pallets, and holding tanks need to be set. Then a day of tapping.
Currently 20 to 30 inches of snow around the trees. Not nearly as deep as last year! Getting closer.
Would like to get around and watch others boil too. So if we miss it by a few days its OK.
Right now the neighbors haven't tapped so I am not to worried:)
Hope things are good out there!
Regards,
Chris

maple flats
01-23-2016, 05:01 PM
I'm in central NY and I have about 80% of my taps in.

Windy Acres
01-24-2016, 05:21 AM
hey flats, are you gravity or vacuum, im about 30 minutes north of binghamton, right between greene and bainbridge and ive been pondering what to do, we are all gravity, but the weather looks tempting!

Sugarmaker
01-25-2016, 07:57 PM
Will try to hang some tubing in the morning. Temp got to about 40 here, but really not much melting today.
Regards,
Chris

pennslytucky
01-26-2016, 07:50 AM
I have a run of 5/16 on a dozen or so maples along the edge of my woods/yard and couldn't resist drilling them yesterday. 16 taps in and all were running. Was dripping still at 10pm and it's starting up again now at 8:30 this morning. Extended forecast is all sugar. Guess I'll go drill the rest :)

Sugarmaker
01-26-2016, 03:46 PM
We hung up the tubing "sets" for 650 potential taps today. May distribute the collection supports and collectors in the next few days.
Just not real thrilled about the extended forecast in our area. If you can believe it we wont make much syrup till near the end of FEB?
Regards,
Chris

Etown Maple Syrup
01-29-2016, 10:25 AM
Happy New Year! I am awakening from my snow slumber. I keep a journal of tapping time. It seems that there is a pattern. I get excited about the January thaw, put taps in, some run, then everything freezes for two weeks. I need 60 gallons of sap to make my Oil Tank Evap worth firing. I noticed every year that I should just wait until the second Saturday in Feb. and go from there. Why is this year different, I say to myself? I don't want to miss any opportunity to make syrup and this coming warm up is certainly a teaser. But with only 100 or so taps to go in, I will take this warm up time to wash the salt off my truck and prepare for Feb 13 without rushing.
Hope everybody has a great season!

Sugarmaker
01-29-2016, 06:12 PM
Cassell,
I think you have it about right.
I plan to use the 4-5 day warm spell to get the rest of the plumbing done in the sugarhouse, clean tanks, set the containers, get the wood carts loaded, put the evaporator together, re-stock the shelves, and clean up around the place. Looks like a couple warmer days about mid Feb if you can believe the forecast.
Regards,
Chris

Sandersyrup
01-30-2016, 07:30 AM
I'll have 50 on 3/16 here in southern PA by next weekend. I've been slow to prepare, now I have my work cut out for me.

~ John Sanderson