PDA

View Full Version : orientation of sugar house

tbear
01-18-2016, 05:06 PM
Hey Everyone,
I'm thinking of, over time, upgrading from my outdoor cinderblock arch. If I should purchase a new REAL arch and pan, no offense to being outside on cinderblocks, I'd want to be inside. Moving towards those ends, we have a large shed that needs some work. First, I'll clean out all the junk that we've stashed in there, then determin whether to repair or tear down and build something smaller, new.
Now for the questions. Does the orientation of the shack matter at all? The current building runs east and west (approximately 30 x 60) and I'm assuming the cupalo would be open to the north and south (would need to build a cupalo), with the prevailing winds from the west. Any problem with that? Thanks, Ted

Ed R
01-18-2016, 06:10 PM
Our shantey is oriented E/W, we fire and enter from the east end. The west end is built into a hill so sap can be emptied by gravity inside. If you have a steam hood, you could forgo the cupola and just go out the roof with a steam stack. Our shantey has been on the same site and orientation since the 1800's.

GeneralStark
01-18-2016, 06:29 PM
Tanks/sap storage should be on north side of sugarhouse in the shade and wood storage should be on south side.

Sugarmaker
01-18-2016, 06:31 PM
The building will be big enough. You may need only 1/2 of it for the evaporator room. Rest would be great storage area.
Our sugarhouse runs north and south with the arch set with the door at the south end.
As loon as you have good draft. you should be good.
Regards,
Chris

tbear
01-18-2016, 07:40 PM
I'm only going to bump up to a 2x4 so won't be going with a steam hood. I don't plan on increasing buckets (70) just want to enjoy making steam, out of the elements. Thanks for the input so far!
Next question: how do you run a smokestack through a roof without setting the building on fire? I know that's a very basic question, but I have to start somewhere! Ted

BreezyHill
01-18-2016, 08:18 PM
If you can have the peak running east west so that snow can pile on the north side you have an ice bank on the wall that the tanks will be placed under an eve extension. Heavy weight shade cloth is great for a breathable wall and the snow will pile up next to it. Plenty of vertical supports. Shade cloth is also great for roll up doors. Checkout greenhouse supply places like FarmTek for material and ideas.

Modify the cupola design so you can open the ends as well as the sides incase you need them due to wind and those late winter odd wind patterns.

jbelany
01-18-2016, 08:47 PM
I like having the south exposure for my door, therefore a little natural heat on the cool spring days when I step out or stand in the doorway....get the most light into the shack then too.

Most places that sell chimney sell a very inexpensive flashing which allows you to cut a square hole much larger than your round chimney, thus keeping the heat away from the flammable wood.

buckeye gold
01-18-2016, 09:31 PM
Next question: how do you run a smokestack through a roof without setting the building on fire? I know that's a very basic question, but I have to start somewhere! Ted

They're called roof jacks. I had a welding shop make me a Stainless Steel one for $130.00. You can get cheaper ones, but mine will outlast my shack. They will need to know your roof slope. Then box out your rafters for the stack using non flammable materials. It's best to use insulated or double walled pipe through the roof at least.