PDA

View Full Version : Hello

red dorakeen
01-18-2016, 12:15 PM
Hello everyone,
This will be my first year for syrup. I’ve cobbled together a block arch with three steamer pans and I’ll go for the usual starter’s 10 taps. I appreciate the wealth of information I’ve been gleaning from this forum.
Thank you

DuncanFTGC/SS
01-18-2016, 12:34 PM
Run, run while you still can!!!! :) Welcome aboard!

optionguru
01-18-2016, 12:40 PM
Welcome. pretty close to how a lot of us started out. You'll be tweaking and growing in no time. Enjoy

georgelineman
01-18-2016, 01:38 PM
Hello and Welcome, We are also in the Hudson River Valley, Cornwall. Three of us that I know of in Cornwall all pretty small outfits. Are you close to our area?
georgelineman

red dorakeen
01-18-2016, 01:49 PM
Pleasant Valley, a little north and on the other side of the river.

Do you know of any local stores that sell tapping supplies?
I've had to use the internet for everything so far.

georgelineman
01-18-2016, 02:23 PM
I know Pleasant Valley pretty well. 42 years with CHG&E till I retired in Aug. 2015. Worked out of Newburgh but did a lot of storm work on your side of the river over the years. Dont know of anyone local selling supplies. We mostly order from Bascoms most orders come in one to two days. May not always be the lowest price but good service counts for alot to me. I think there is a guy by IBM rt 52 Fishkill who is a Leader Dealer. I forget his name but you can look him up. I have never used him. If you are ever out wandering around on this side of the river feel free to PM me and i will tell you where we are. Stop by and shoot the bull. We have only been doing this for 5 years but maybe you can get some ideas. We are at 75 taps. Make app. 20 + or - gallons a season. Thats plenty for a one person opperation.
george

red dorakeen
01-18-2016, 03:02 PM
Guess I'll keep ordering stuff online.
I grew up here in PV, moved away and came back after retiring.
Of all things, I was glad to see that the old art deco building was still there at the CHG&E substation.
When I was a kid the science fiction look of it appealed to me.
You make a lot of syrup. It sort of seems I had to retire to have time for something like syrup.

lakeview maple
01-18-2016, 06:51 PM
Welcome to the club, get ready to expand and have a lot of fun along the way

groomer_guy
02-10-2016, 11:57 AM
Welcome to the club. As everyone else has said most of us started the same way you are. Good luck and we are all here for you.