PDA

View Full Version : Leader 5/16 drop line observations

Bucket Head
01-17-2016, 10:07 PM
I bought a roll of Leader's Max Flow Flex drop line tubing this year for drops and I'll have to say it's the most difficult 5/16 tubing I've ever used. It's very soft and grips the barb's well, but it's softness allows it to kink before you get the tubing pushed on to the fitting completely. My father and I were disappointed with it this weekend. We struggled with it for the most part. I have a Pruno single-hand tool and it's worked okay on everything except this tubing. I am using leader fittings as well.

Out of curiosity, for those who are using this tubing, what are you using for a tool? Or are you having some trouble too? Any tips, tricks or suggestions?

Or, any suggestions on drop line tubing that works better?

I'm not bad-mouthing Leader's tubing- it's flexible and seals the barbs, but it's made drop line assembly very difficult this year.

Steve

spud
01-17-2016, 10:59 PM
Say goodbye to Leader and hello to CDL.

Spud

wwright
01-18-2016, 05:56 AM
Use a little water they will go right on

blissville maples
01-18-2016, 06:06 AM
yes, I wet them with mouth before sliding on, unbelievable how much easier it is. spouts too, although white smart spouts leave nasty taste in mouth!

Thompson's Tree Farm
01-18-2016, 06:07 AM
yes, I wet them with mouth before sliding on, unbelievable how much easier it is. spouts too, although white smart spouts leave nasty taste in mouth!

It may make them go together better but it also loads them with bacteria

sapmaple
01-18-2016, 06:24 AM
I use the flex for all my drops very happy with it I make drops with a two handed tool and dip the end of the tubing in about one inch of water in a glass the fittings slip right on like .............. ah well you know what I mean, in the woods however you may need to use your bacteria laced Sylvia

WESTMAPLES
01-18-2016, 08:53 AM
i use leaders MFF and its worked nice for me with a screwup here and there. i have the normal single and 2 handed tool with cutter i don`t seem to have the bending problem and don`t wet them or anything. a fellow sugarmaker was having a similar problem to yours with cdl tubing and it ended up being one of the tubing clamp holder was slightly cocked upward, i cut it apart on the bandsaw re-aligned it ,welded it. and he hasn`t had anything but good luck with it since and hes still using the cdl tubing maybe something to look at bucket head

BreezyHill
01-18-2016, 09:31 AM
Spud is right. We are changing all of our tubing to cdl from leader. Had several issues with leader last season with drops coming off of spouts.

Floppy tubing...try soaking themin a tub with a couple of the little blue pills they advertise on TV. LOL

sapmaple
01-18-2016, 10:42 AM
No Spud is only right for Spud I however I prefer the flex for drops so I can place anywhere I want when tapping in cold weather
So I don't want the hard-On your describing Oh by the way I have tried CDL tubing and the squirrels like it better but that's just me LOL

Bucket Head
01-18-2016, 10:55 AM
Yes, the few fittings one of us dropped in the snow slid on better. However, I've never had to wet anything first before and I shouldn't have to have a cup of water with me at all times. I may, or may not, use this tubing up. If I do, I'll use some water- just to keep the aggravation levels low...

Westmaples- Yeah, this tool I have isn't the highest quality thing I've ever bought... Its off a little. But it has worked on everything but this stuff.

I'll have to try CDL's drop line tubing. I'll try em' all after this experience. I won't be buying another roll of Leader's drop tubing.

Steve

madmapler
01-18-2016, 04:40 PM
One thing worth mentioning is the leader fittings are bigger around than all the others. They are tougher to use but I use them because the inside diameter is a little bigger as well.

mellondome
01-18-2016, 05:04 PM
I had an issue with the max flex couple years ago. The internal diameter wasn't consistent through out the roll( ok 5 rolls) I returned them to the dealer I purchased them through and they were promptly replaced. It was said that there was an issue with some new equipment that leader was using with production what caused the issue. The newer rolls have not had the issue.
Alignment of the fittings is crucial with any tubing that is flexable. I use a 2 handed tool to assemble drops. I have a bolt with a recess in the center that I put in one side to push the fittings against. You can shove the tee through the sidewall of the tubing if you don't have it aligned.

adk1
01-18-2016, 08:10 PM
Why don't u just stick to the 30p

Bucket Head
01-18-2016, 08:27 PM
We've always used a more flexible tubing for the drops. Figured I'd try the Leader stuff. Might have figured wrong.

Steve