PDA

View Full Version : What happened.

MaplePancakeMan
02-27-2007, 11:33 PM
I got a little crazy today, i had a bunch of 5 gallon pails full of sap but were frozen, i broke the ice and only collected what was in the block, i got about one bucket full, i couldn't wait any longer so i boiled it down on the stove, 2 hrs later i was done with great tasting very light syrup. I filled 3 12oz jars and about 4 ounces left over. However as i was pouring the last bit out of the pan it got really thick really quick, almost thicker than honey, did i boil it too long, it didn't give any inclination of being different than before, are my bottles that i filled going to be like rock candy when they cool? Has this happened to anyone else? Let me know

markcasper
02-28-2007, 12:51 AM
Sounds like it got a bit overdone. It most likely will get sugar lumps in the bottom if it was as thick as you described. If your not going to sell it, then theres no worry.

MaplePancakeMan
02-28-2007, 08:58 AM
i let it cool today, and its moving around like normal syrup oh well we'll see if its not good i don't need to sell it i'll just use it. Might have been rapid evaporation from the heat on the sides of the pan as i was pouring? anyway it tasted really good. It was exceptionally light aswell.
Thanks again

maplehound
02-28-2007, 01:23 PM
try stiring it after it cools. You may end up with candy or cream.

MaplePancakeMan
02-28-2007, 02:20 PM
awesome, will do. Right now they sti in my maple leaf jars. I'll play it as it goes.