PDA

View Full Version : VT inspection required for sap hauler?

tuolumne
01-16-2016, 07:14 AM
We have obtained an 1973 C65 with a 2000 gallon tank for hauling sap. Originally, we planned to run with orange triangles for the 3 miles of back roads on which it will operate. We did now register the vehicle "agricultural." Does this hauler need an inspection sticker? Would that require a liability policy? I am a bit confused as where the line is drawn between a farm tractor and such an exclusive use farm clunker.

Thanks for any input from those of you who have asked these questions in the past.

wiam
01-16-2016, 10:05 AM
i would look it up for yourself but from memory the law says you do not need registration or inspection if the truck is used for hauling inputs or outputs of agriculture, which includes sugaring. If it is registered I believe it needs inspection, which would require insurance.

wiam
01-16-2016, 10:06 AM
Glenn Goodrich's sap haulers have triangles. No plates.

mellondome
01-16-2016, 10:35 AM
If you are on the road, always have liability . Your farm policy may or may not cover the vehicle.

Big_Eddy
01-21-2016, 08:23 AM
Ontario law
Self-Propelled Implements of Husbandry (SPIH) Converted From Highway Vehicles

The HTA defines a SPIH as “a self-propelled vehicle manufactured, designed, redesigned, converted or reconstructed for a specific use in farming”.
Combines, swathers and forage harvesters are examples of SPIH. Trucks that have been converted for specific uses in farming may also qualify as SPIH.
In order for a former truck to qualify as a SPIH, it requires significant and specific physical change to the cargo-carrying portion of the vehicle. The modifications must lend themselves to a specific use in farming with the vehicle being of little use except to carry the farm products that it was designed to carry. Also, after conversion, it would not be practical to use the vehicle for its original purposes.

See page 22
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/trucks/pdfs/farm-guide-farm-equipment-on-the-highway.pdf

State laws may vary

Paul VT
01-24-2016, 07:02 PM
Pretty sure if you have it insured for on the road it has to be registered. Insurance company probably won't cover it if it's not registered. I know farmers that swear it does or doesn't need state inspection. When in doubt ask a DMV officer.