PDA

View Full Version : 220 Maple Half Tapped

220 maple
02-27-2007, 06:26 PM
Trader Friends,
I finally got the evaporator fired up Sunday evening. Didn't have a large amount of water, but it's time to roll. I will try breiflly to explain why It's been a struggle this year. On the mourning of Valentines Day my 22 year old son departed this life. He had Muscular Dystrophy. We knew what his life expectancely was but you are never prepared. If anyone is interested his Obit. can be found at Grant County Press.com/Obit.html. So with that happening and the weather at times being uncoorperative I may have half of the holes drilled, hopefully I can get some more drilled tomorrow and Thursday. I made a rule for myself several years ago that I would never tap a tree after March 1st. Simply because our season usually ends by the middle of March. However all bets are off this year. I've boiled the last day of March before and hope to make syrup in April sometime.This could be the year?
This past Sunday the weather man called for one inch of snow. We got 10 inches. It's probably a good thing he didn't call for 2 inches. I'll be back on the message board this coming weekend.
Mark 220 Maple

LittleGuy
02-27-2007, 06:42 PM
Sorry for your loss Mark.

Our prayers are with you.

Fred Henderson
02-27-2007, 07:37 PM
My prayers to you and your family.

royalmaple
02-27-2007, 08:01 PM
Mark-

Sorry to hear about your son. It doesn't make it any better to hear or is cliche but at least he is not going through the pain etc.

Hope your season ends up good for you.

HanginAround
02-27-2007, 08:07 PM
220, I am very sorry to hear of the loss of your son. I can't imagine a harder thing to have to go through.

brookledge
02-27-2007, 08:25 PM
220maple
As you said you know the situation was inevidable but it is still hard when the day actually comes. Sorry for your loss. I hope for you he will look over you and guide you to a banner year of syrup.
Keith

TapME
02-27-2007, 08:33 PM
sorry to here of your loss it's never easy. Our thoughs and prayers to you and family.

Sugarmaker
02-27-2007, 09:04 PM
Mark,
Very sorry to hear of the recent loss of your son.
Wishing you and your family the best in the future.
Our thoughts and blessings go out to you.
I know this must be a very hard time for you, may the coming of spring and maple season bring some happiness to your family.
Regards,
Chris and Cheryl Casbohm

maplehound
02-27-2007, 10:13 PM
My wife and I both wish to offer our condolences of your son's death. It must be hard to pick up and go on at this time. We are sure that he is now in a better place, where he is free of his pain.
God bless you and your family

Russell Lampron
02-28-2007, 05:34 AM
220maple,

Sorry to hear of your loss. I hope you have a busy sugaring season to help ease the pain. Good luck and god bless.

Russ

mapleman3
02-28-2007, 02:45 PM
Mark We too are sorry for your loss, I'm sure it has been a tough time for you all. I'm sure as Brookledge said he's looking down on you now hoping you have a great season !

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-28-2007, 09:30 PM
Mark,

My prayers will be offered daily as I remember for you and your family. I can't imagine the pain and I am sure the past few years have been rough with that in the back of your mind.

God bless and maybe we can hook up some day soon and good luck this season.

220 maple
03-02-2007, 08:30 PM
Thanks to all for your kind words. My wife read some of them and wants to print them all out to keep.
I was back in WV at the camp Wendesday and Thursday. Got several more trees tapped. Pendleton County sugarbush probably 90% complete, Grant County sugarbush about 50%. The best news of all is my helpers have boiled every night (Sun thru Thurs.) . I finished one batch down and have four milk cans setting in the kitchen to finish. The trees that I have open have run pretty good but I believe they have run harder in the past. One factor that could be causing this is the ground is frozen. If the ground would thaw then we have some heavy frosts I believe we would really get some big runs. The sugar content has averaged 2.4 to 2.7. Now all we need is some good freezes and business will pick up.
Mark 220 Maple

220 maple
03-18-2007, 07:46 AM
Season winding down. Considering that it started later than usual. We made some really good syrup. Myself and my helpers are hoping to make some commercial syrup this week. We got 5 inches of snow this past friday and the overnite temps dropped back in the twenties. Hopefully the trees will recharge and run again. Some of them was opened on the 20th of March. They are reaching their 30 day production cycle. I have had this happen in the past where they ran good then froze up but would not run after the freeze. A fellow syrupmaker who has made syrup for many years said that it's hard to get a run after 30 days.???? Has anyone had a simliar experience? What is the longest you've had a taphole run with out doing anything to the hole like reaming with larger drill bit?
Visited some fellow syrup makers in Highland County, Va. during their festival. Some are happy and some are not. Even the happy ones said it was difficult with the weather this year.
Hopefully this coming weekend I'll make it Pa. to visit the camps around Salisbury. Henry has two of my stainless steel syrup barrels and I'll need to get some Glass for my Lite Syrup.
Mark 220 Maple

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-18-2007, 08:13 PM
Mark,

2 years ago we had sap down here for 6.5 weeks. I tapped 17th of Feb and am expecting a run the next 3 days. Hopefully the holes didn't dry up last week. I don't expect anything big, but I think it should be decent. Never heard the 30 day theory, it is not uncommon for me to go 5 weeks which seems normal but it all depends on the temps and I am 3 to 4 hours south of you.