PDA

View Full Version : Boiling Temp. vs. Density (Specific Gravity)

Sapster
01-11-2016, 02:14 PM
Can anyone out there direct me to some data or a chart relating the density (specific gravity) of maple syrup near the finished state to the boiling temperature? I want to know how much a given increase in boiling temperature (for example 1 degree) will affect the density - or vice versa. Thanks in advance.

Sapster
01-29-2016, 08:47 PM
Wow! I completely struck out here. If I get a chance this season, I will try to create a graph relating sap/syrup boiling temperature to Brix value and post it here. I'm not sure if this is going to win me that Nobel prize, but it would be interesting to see the relationship.

mellondome
01-29-2016, 09:06 PM
Boiling point of finished syrup changes constantly due to changes in barometric pressure. If you want accurate records, each entry should be based on temp above current boiling point of water. Calibrated using vigorously boiling water.

Sapster
01-29-2016, 09:19 PM
mellondome,

Thanks for mentioning that. I do plan on showing the Brix measurement as a function of temperature above the boiling point of water (as measured on my stove at the time).

mellondome
01-31-2016, 06:27 PM
There is also a table in the maple syrup producers manual that lists temp above boiling point of water and associated % of sugar solution. Done in .2 deg f°.