PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone worried about this years season?

paraord
01-10-2016, 04:51 AM
Good Morning guys, with all this up and down weird weather this year is anyone else worried about the season? I cant seem to gauge when to tap in. I only have 30 taps but we normally have had at least a month of sub freezing temperature. This year I think you would be hard pressed to find 3 days that stayed under 32 F. My 1st season I yielded 5 gallons, last year was didnt cooperate with me and I yielded about 1 gallon. Im over between Rochester and Buffalo NY and our weather has been all over except where it normally is.

Urban Sugarmaker
01-10-2016, 07:07 AM
Like you, I live in Western NY. I tap on some land east of the city. It's definitely hard to decide when to tap using buckets with this weather. The forecast here for the next 15 days, as accurate as it can be, is for high temps no greater than 33F. If this pattern holds, I'm not tapping for at least 2 weeks. I did speak to a sugarmaker from southwest of Rochester yesterday, and they are tapping. He said they have had flow, but they tap early anyway because they have thousands of taps drill. They won't have any sap either for the next 2 weeks if the weather holds. I if we get a 10-15 day forecast with above/below freezing most days, I'll start.

If you look around a bit you'll find several recent threads talking about the concern for this season due to weather. The consensus from experienced people is that the only weather that matters is during the season. No one really knows for sure.

wnybassman
01-10-2016, 11:08 AM
I'm 20 minutes south of Leroy, and I hope to hold out until the 2nd week of February. That is the earliest I have ever tapped. The first stretch of promising weather after that time period I am all in.

Flat Lander Sugaring
01-10-2016, 04:39 PM
i have no bills didnt purchase anything this year so if the season falls on its face I wont be hurt. Will feel bad for a couple friends who are out there but will be good for the price per gallon next year.

sugarsand
01-11-2016, 09:45 AM
If it does turn out to be a terrible season, we only need enough to keep our can customers and not worry about how much we ship in barrels. It would effect any updating or expansion project's, if we don't get it, dealers dont get it.

Flat Lander Sugaring
01-11-2016, 05:13 PM
if we don't get it, dealers dont get it.

maybe they could lower their prices on equipment since the prices are so jacked up any ways

adk1
01-11-2016, 09:12 PM
Wishful thinking

spud
01-12-2016, 06:00 AM
If it does turn out to be a terrible season, we only need enough to keep our can customers and not worry about how much we ship in barrels. It would effect any updating or expansion project's, if we don't get it, dealers dont get it.

For a lot of sugar makers if they don't get it the dealers will take it back. Or maybe if we don't get it then we will be sleeping on the couch. Lets hope it's a great season. I think it's setting up to be a great one.

Spud

adk1
01-12-2016, 06:21 AM
For a lot of sugar makers if they don't get it the dealers will take it back. Or maybe if we don't get it then we will be sleeping on the couch. Lets hope it's a great season. I think it's setting up to be a great one.

Spudthats all we can do is keep a positive attitude!

wnybassman
01-12-2016, 07:49 PM
I am much less worried now that we have turned to full blown winter. Hope it sticks for at least a month or so.

PACMAN
01-12-2016, 09:34 PM
8 below here tonight. Only about 5 inches of snow in the bush and its frozen hard. Winter is here and Im still workin to get stuff done. I think this year will be really good. Besides,there is nothing we can do with mother nature.

Bucket Head
01-12-2016, 09:50 PM
I'm not worried about it. A lot of winter time left on the calendar where I am. I agree, nothing you can do about Mother Nature. I don't remember which years they were, but many decent sugaring seasons had little snow cover to start the season.

And after last season, I won't be mad at all if there is little snow cover to go tap in.

mudr
01-13-2016, 12:03 AM
Paraord- I'm on the other side of the muck in elba. My plan this year is to keep an eye on the 10 day starting the past week of jan. Like you I don't have a ton of taps, though I am expanding 25% this year!!!! From 40 to 52. :) given our size we can be "nimble " and wait till we see good weather. If we had thousands of taps we'd have to just start tapping at some point because it would take a longer time.

paraord
01-13-2016, 06:56 AM
First off its great some of you are in my neck of the woods! Mudr, you are only a short drive from me.

So glad to actually see this good freezing temperature finally, the weather going this way makes me feel a bit better. Hopefully it will stick for a few weeks and we will have a more gradual warm up too. Like everyone said you cant change mother nature.

I would be ok with a little less snow cover this tapping season, I could keep the snow shoes at home when Im collecting. Heck I havent even plowed with my new 8 foot bucket!

Id love to know when you guys all are getting ready to tap in. This is only my 3rd season and I absolutely love it. In the off season this year Id like to go up to 50 taps and actually build a stove for evaporating. Ive seen them done out of a 55 gallon barrel and you drop a steam pan in. What I am currently using is stainless steel steam pans over propane burners. I guess even if I built a cinderblock "frame" around to keep the heat going up not out would be a big upgrade for me.

adk1
01-13-2016, 08:24 AM
"will tell you how the season is once its over"