PDA

View Full Version : Question for home brewers

Camp
01-09-2016, 10:18 PM
We are going to cut about an 8" diameter maple and place it in the sugar house and drill a 2" hole up through and run 2 beer lines. We are then going to attach the lines to old sugar taps. The question is what do you think would be the best way to start and stop the flow since it will not have a traditional beer tap? I was thinking a simple ball valve down low but was worried about beer sitting in the lines above the valve.

rayi
01-10-2016, 08:11 AM
Nice idea but I don't think a ball valve will work well. Most faucets need to be on full or off or they foam. I think I would do real faucets and find some nice looking Maple branches and sand them up and varnish them. The concern about the beer left in the line is only a problem for the first glass of the day. Warm beer does not pour it foams

maple75
01-10-2016, 08:12 AM
I'm not a home brewer but I would think if the beer sit open to atmosphere in the line then it would go flat given enough time. Would it possible for you to feed the lines from above then they will drain. You could also use a long stem ball valve inside the tree hollow with just the handle outside above the tap.

esetter
01-10-2016, 09:25 AM
Will you be pushing the beer from a keg with co2? If so you could simply use the co2 regulator as an on off switch as long as you don't over pressure it. The beer sitting in the lines will go flat eventually and as stated by rayi will cause more foam but ,depending on its distance from the keg the waste will be minimal. I agree that conventional beer taps would be easiest. I do always like a good ''can I make this work?'' project. Cool Idea. This isn't an advertisement but I use morebeer.com for most of my supplies. They will have a ton of tap / kegerator parts for you to look at.

bigschuss
01-11-2016, 12:38 PM
Awesome idea. I think that for the amount of waste you're talking, you're idea will work. Just discard what's in the line and enjoy!

Camp
01-11-2016, 05:07 PM
Thanks for all the input. I will be sure to post some pics when complete.

mtcrumpit
02-03-2016, 07:49 PM
If you need people to test it for you make sure you put up a post

maple flats
02-04-2016, 04:30 AM
Get better fire insurance. I can for see so much beer being tested that you burn the pans.