PDA

View Full Version : Trash cans for collecting sap.

Bill Southern NH
01-09-2016, 02:37 PM
I just read that the Rubbermaid brute trash cans are nsf 2, 21 complient. Does that mean that they are safe for collecting sap in? I was looking for food safe stock tanks, but the prices and the shipping for them is crazy. I just wanted to check to see what all of my options were.

western mainer
01-09-2016, 03:10 PM
http://www.behlencountry.com/product-category/tankswaterers/poly-round-end-stock-tanks/
This is what I use in till I can go to stainless. They are FDA approved. You can get them at Paris Farmers union in Maine and NH. Use the dealer search there are alot in NH.
Brian

ScottyWelden
01-09-2016, 06:03 PM
Beware! I bought a stainless can from home depot and it leaked.

Helicopter Seeds
01-09-2016, 08:23 PM
I understand moonshiners use them for mashing. I would wash it with Hot water and detergent, triple rinse. Any flavor you leave has got to make it to your syrup.
I just found some 58 gallon food grade blue barrels at a local grocery that specializes in ethnic selections. $36 each, I bought two. Now I see an online tag sale in CT where someone has four tanks he used for Sap, 250 gallon each. I am tempted, but already bought these. I may get one and return the barrels since I did not use them yet.

n8hutch
01-09-2016, 08:54 PM
Bill, Bascom's has 50 gallon food grade barrels with lids for 20 dollars. Can't beat that.it's always worth a trip over there

eustis22
01-09-2016, 10:18 PM
search for food-grade on craigslist....there are people selling 55 gallon barrels.

lyford
01-10-2016, 10:07 AM
I use the brute cans for sap storage, have done so for the past four years. Never had any off flavored any any problems.

Ghs57
01-10-2016, 10:19 AM
Bill, Bascom's has 50 gallon food grade barrels with lids for 20 dollars. Can't beat that.it's always worth a trip over there

X2! A long trip for me but well worth it, and I may pick up a few more soon along with other supplies.

RC Maple
01-11-2016, 08:00 AM
Before I started collecting sap my first year I searched for containers to hold sap before I boiled. I called Rubbermaid's tech line about their Brute trash cans. The lady I spoke with told me the gray containers were made of food grade plastic. I am not sure what other colors they had but she was specific about the gray cans. However, N8hutch says that 50 gal food grade barrels with lids can be had that are close to you for $20. I don't think you can buy a 32 or 44 gal Brute can for that.