PDA

View Full Version : flat pan options

Bricklayer
01-08-2016, 07:16 PM
I've decided to go with a 2x6 continous flow flat pan. I'm upgrading from a 2x4 homemade pan so it is a major upgrade in my opinion. I flirted with the idea of getting a hybrid pan but would like to slowly graduate into learning the whole continous system first. The pan is divided length wise with 3 long compartments. And a drawoff valve and a thermometer. It comes stock with a preheater pan that sits on top of the pan with a valve to control sap flow. I really don't like the whole preheater pan idea. Will it really heat sap enough. And where does the condensation go. I'm thinking of going with a float box. Do float boxes work ok on these types of pans? Will I really be able to draw off on this pan? I've read a couple post where guys have had the middle section turn to syrup. Should I get plugs made to block off sections when I shut it down.?

psparr
01-08-2016, 07:59 PM
I made continuous flow flat pans, and make some great syrup, albeit slow. I draw off syrup right from the pan. The trick to not make syrup in the middle is good firing and a drop or two of defoamer each firing. I also draw continuously from the evaporator. It's usually just a trickle but it helps keep things flowing. Here's a video of my setup. Hope it helps a little. https://youtu.be/whRR8BlfocY
The preheated pan should be sloped a little to slow it to drain condensate away from the pan. Any increase in temp of the sap is helpful, but not major.

Bricklayer
01-08-2016, 08:16 PM
Would it be better to have a float box? And is the defoamer added to the float box? Or a little bit in each section?

psparr
01-08-2016, 08:50 PM
I like my float box, one less worry while I'm boiling. I can just glance at the level of sap in the float box and know if I'm ok or not. The defoamer gets added where the sap enters the pan.

Woody77
01-08-2016, 10:16 PM
12376I made a copper preheater to replace my pan just to see if it was better .less condensation more heat gain and my float is built right in works great not one issue.12374

Bricklayer
01-09-2016, 04:11 AM
So once the defamer is added there is no need to add any to the area of syrup that is getting drawed off? Reason I ask is because I usually batch boil and when it's almost syrup it always wants to boil over.

Super Sapper
01-09-2016, 05:12 AM
If you add defoamer where it enters the pan a couple drops every so often you will not need to add at the syrup end. If you do add to the syrup end make sure to add it right where it draws off. A float box is a good addition to have as you can have a consistent level and not have to watch as close.

Bricklayer
01-10-2016, 04:26 PM
It's there any difference how the dividers are set up. Pan is not made yet. The stock ones are 3 sections running length of pan. Would it work if I got the dividers set up like a hybrid pan? Large sap pan at rear then 2 syrup pans at front. Basically a fake hybrid pan is what it would technically look like.

Super Sapper
01-11-2016, 06:02 AM
I would go with a 2 foot and 4 foot pan so that upgrading in the future with a flu pan is easier. A 6 foot pan with sap in it is gong to be harder to handle also. Put 3 channels in each pan and have fun.

Ghs57
01-14-2016, 10:15 PM
A float box adds consistency to the operation and is highly recommended.

The pan you go with should reflect your future plans. I understand your reservations, but if you expect to go bigger, spend the money up front (within reason). Otherwise, it will cost you more to do so later. There is also efficiency to consider. A flat 2x6 has limits.

Bricklayer
01-15-2016, 04:58 AM
I will definitely expand in the future. But I don't sell my syrup now. It's just a hobby or addiction more like it. It's hard to spend thousands of dollars on a new pan for the future when I can spend $800 and be good for a couple years. Can always sell the pan and get a new one when I expand. That's my theory anyways.

Ghs57
01-15-2016, 02:15 PM
I will definitely expand in the future. But I don't sell my syrup now. It's just a hobby or addiction more like it. It's hard to spend thousands of dollars on a new pan for the future when I can spend $800 and be good for a couple years. Can always sell the pan and get a new one when I expand. That's my theory anyways.

That's the road I'm on also. Started with pans on a wood stove, built an arch and got a 2x4 pan, I sold my 2x4 to get the current 2x6. But if I were able to start over, even as cheap as I am, I'd have bought the 2x6 instead of the 2x4. If things go well, there may be more after this one. I have not sold a whole bunch, but hope to change that also.

Call it a hobby, fascination, preoccupation, passion, obsession, fixation, mania, or thing, seems there is no shaking it once stricken.

Bricklayer
01-31-2016, 08:27 PM
I've got a continuous flow pan from Patrick Phaneuf ordered. Should have it in a couple weeks. Just in time hopefully. Got it with a float box.

jimmygarison
08-15-2017, 02:38 PM
Hi everyone , I also made continuous flow flat pans, and make some great syrup. I draw off syrup right from the pan. I also draw continuously from the evaporator. It's usually just a drop but it helps keep things flowing. I hope this is so helpful.