PDA

View Full Version : head tank options

MunsterMapler
01-08-2016, 06:34 PM
hey guys im just a small hobby guy with hopefully about 50-75 taps this year. I was wondering what I could use for a head tank to feed my evaporator. was planning on using a heavy duty Rubbermaid garbage can. what do you guys think? will that be ok even though its not "food grade" ill buy it new and it will only be used for sap

maple flats
01-08-2016, 07:56 PM
If it is not labeled "food grade" it is most likely contains recycled materiel (from a small % up to 100%). The big issue is what it may have stored in it's former life. nWhile I don't think the recycle pesticide containers, it may have had some chem. in it that an end user put in. I would never trust a container without a "food grade" label. Being bought new says nothing about the source of the component materials.

maplemas
01-08-2016, 08:02 PM
When I started out years ago I used a damaged bath tub that I picked up cheap

psparr
01-08-2016, 08:04 PM
The first year with my flat 2x6 I used a bucket. Had to climb the ladder and fill it way too often, but it worked.

BreezyHill
01-08-2016, 09:37 PM
I know a brewery that got in trouble for having those same cans for mash holders. Funny part was they didn't get a fine because they had the food grade liner there and said they use them in the cans all the time.

So you could use a water tank bung in the bottom and have a liner in the container that you change when it gets nasty. The poly tanks on sale are a good buy and last a long time.

Ben

Ghs57
01-09-2016, 08:58 AM
I contacted Rubbermaid about this tote:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_135881-1097-1869452___?productId=4462425&pl=1&Ntt=rubbermade+tote

It's food grade, and at around $30, a reasonably good buy. I use one for sap collection, but it would work as a head tank.

Other Rubbermaid Commercial totes or cans may also qualify. It must say "food grade" or NSF approved or certified.

SeanD
01-09-2016, 10:05 AM
If you are going to use a tote, look into Sterilite. They don't use any recycled plastic nor pvc, bpa, etc., and they are safe for food storage. Since they are clear, you can see the liquid level inside, too. http://www.sterilite.com/general_info.html

Target carries a wide range of sizes.

Sean

MunsterMapler
01-09-2016, 11:13 AM
Awesome guys, thanks for all the input. I have a 2x4 smoky lake hybrid so I was lookin at something between 30-50 gallons for a tank. The biggest thing is that I don't have a sugar shack and have to move everything from inside my garage overtime I need to boil so small and somewhat least to move and store is a necessity.

MunsterMapler
01-09-2016, 11:32 AM
I just looked on the Rubbermaid website and is said and 2,21 compliant