PDA

View Full Version : Ice in sap buckets

Johnmaubin
01-08-2016, 02:47 PM
Anyone out there have a opinion on this? The small layer of ice that forms in sap buckets over night, is it worth collecting with the remaining sap and boiling it? The theory is that only water freezes and the ice block contains no sugar content. Or is there sugar in the ice and it is worth boiling with the sap. Could this technique be used as a poor mans reverse osmosis? Any thoughts or opinions welcome. Thanks

Sugarmaker
01-08-2016, 03:13 PM
Anyone out there have a opinion on this? The small layer of ice that forms in sap buckets over night, is it worth collecting with the remaining sap and boiling it? The theory is that only water freezes and the ice block contains no sugar content. Or is there sugar in the ice and it is worth boiling with the sap. Could this technique be used as a poor mans reverse osmosis? Any thoughts or opinions welcome. Thanks

Yes.
No.
Yes.
Regards,
Chris

DrTimPerkins
01-08-2016, 03:36 PM
Yes.
No.
Yes.
Regards,
Chris

Exactly correct.

51 cub
01-08-2016, 07:01 PM
This is good to hear. I could never understand saving the ice if there's no sugar in it. Seems like a waste to me, but I'll admit a feeble mind. I've always heard that letting cider freeze, and pulling out the ice is how to make applejack.

Helicopter Seeds
01-09-2016, 08:14 PM
I remember reading this last year. As a curiosity, I tasted some of the ice, and it had some sweetness, so I chickened out on throwing it away! I suppose that some sap could stick in it, I probably only salvaged a 1/4 teaspoon of syrup!

n8hutch
01-09-2016, 09:07 PM
I usually collect the ice and all. Once it sits in your storage tank for awhile it turns to whiteish soft ice,has that freezer burn look. That ice had no sugar in it when I melted some & tested it.

I have used those ice blocks to keep sap overnight when it starts to really warm up.

bigschuss
01-11-2016, 12:43 PM
I have always pitched the ice from my buckets and routinely realize less average boil times than expected and higher average production yields than I would have expected had I not pitched the ice.

DrTimPerkins
01-11-2016, 12:55 PM
I've always heard that letting cider freeze, and pulling out the ice is how to make applejack.

That process, when it involves ethanol, is actually considered "distillation" by the Feds, and is illegal.

51 cub
01-13-2016, 06:09 PM
That process, when it involves ethanol, is actually considered "distillation" by the Feds, and is illegal.

It is, I won't deny it. It's just one of the many old, interesting things I like to read about