PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Evaporator Preheater???

johnpma
01-07-2016, 10:54 AM
Hi Guys,

How are you that boil on 55 gallon drum units preheating your sap??

Trying to come up with ways to modify my barrel evaporator to incorporate a preheater of some sort.

We have about 40 taps out. The process is too long if we add cold sap. Our barrel unit is lined with a blanket and red bricks on top of the blanket We have a wall built about 3/4 of the way back in the unit from red brick

We did OK last year but want to make improvements for this season

Polish Wizard
01-07-2016, 12:47 PM
I asked a similar question for a preheater wrapped around the flue stack.
I don't know how to add a link to that thread, so I'll suggest looking for one titled "Looking for plumbing diagram for flue pipe sap heater"
The other folks provided a great deal of info you may find helpful.

You might also watch this man's video.
He included a coil of copper tube wrapped around the flue stack and enclosed it (or it is actually inside his stack---I can't tell for sure because I'm confused by the appearance of the flue pipe joints).
I wonder if simply wrapping a copper coil with aluminum foil would suffice to help keep heat on the coil as it is wrapped around the stack?
Maple Syrup Sap Homemade Evaporator Test - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twWbSs8Bpws

RC Maple
01-08-2016, 07:41 AM
I have a barrel evaporator with a 2x3 pan and have a preheater for it that was made by Sunrise. It's just the standard one they put on their 2 ft wide pans.

johnpma
01-11-2016, 10:17 AM
I like that tubing around the flu system Polski!!! Thanks for posting.

RC You have a nice set up there. Never thought of actually building a boil barn with a barrel unit.....I'm jealous!!

Thanks for posting guys. In the process of building a new barrel unit now. Door kit just arrived.

flyyer
01-17-2016, 04:49 PM
Here is mine pre-heater pan....... new to me this year, going to try a run this next weekend.

johnpma
01-18-2016, 10:33 AM
Nice setup is that all open beneath the warming trays? Did you insulate around the pans? I like the blower idea

Fleman202
01-20-2016, 02:53 PM
Hey Flyyer where did you get the blower, and what size is it?

johnpma
02-03-2016, 08:32 AM
Here is mine pre-heater pan....... new to me this year, going to try a run this next weekend.

12478 How did it run? How is the area under your pans insulated or bricked? Working on my unit now......will post pics soon for suggestions

pyro
02-03-2016, 06:07 PM
I have some stupid questions.

Is the flue pipe exiting the back?
How do you move liquid from the preheater pan to front pans?

leaky bucket
02-03-2016, 07:17 PM
I made a coiled preheated for my 2x6 a few years ago . I got a pc of log approx the size of my chimney pipe ( the log is just a firm form to wrap around ) and made a coil around it with 1\2" copper pipe used a 25' roll Took my pipes apart and slid it over the stack ( all while I was boiling). Connected one end to the head tank and other to float. What a difference. If you don't have a float attach a ball valve and just let it drop into pan and adjust as required.
It don't have to be tailor made and expensive to work.

Mike