PDA

View Full Version : Adding air under fire

Fleman202
01-07-2016, 09:58 AM
I need some advice on what kind of blower to use for adding AUF. I am using an old oil tank for the arch. I would really like a blower that is somewhat quiet if thats possible. Anyway just looking for advice!

Pibster
01-07-2016, 02:14 PM
I went to a scrap yard and picked up a small furnace blower for $2. The squirrel cage type. Installed it on a dimmer switch and still works great 2 seasons later.

flyyer
01-12-2016, 06:39 PM
1244212443Here's my set up I used last year with a barrel evaporator. The silver thing that looks like a coupling is actual a slide type damper. Blower is a utility type I got off e-bay.

little bettah flavah
01-12-2016, 08:22 PM
I need some advice on what kind of blower to use for adding AUF. I am using an old oil tank for the arch. I would really like a blower that is somewhat quiet if thats possible. Anyway just looking for advice!

I am using an old oil tank as well I got a friend that has given me a a unot off of a old boiler not sure how quiet it is but I've heard it makes the wood burn 30% more efficient

Sinzibuckwud
01-15-2016, 07:48 AM
I was wondering what options others have come up with, if any, for using a battery operated AUF blower?
The shack is centered out in the bush. It's a long way to run power out there.

eustis22
01-15-2016, 09:01 AM
I have a 12v bilge blower connected to a pipe under my grate. The pipe is holed, and I just charge a car battery occasionally as it also handles pumping my sap into my holding tank

Polish Wizard
01-15-2016, 10:39 AM
I just finished reading all 36 pages of this 2011 thread about air over fire.
http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?9364-Air-over-fire

I learned a lot, but most of the details were for the larger, more fancy evaporators.
I'm building my first unit from a lateral file cabinet, and plan to have buffet pans recessed into the arch.
I plan to build a step-up toward the flue, and add insulation blanket and bricks.

I have an old bathroom ceiling fan that I'd like to use for adding air, but after reading the 36 pages I'm not sure what would be my best option for location of the discharge.

I know the wood I'll be using will still be fairly wet, since most of it will be cut slab wood from a local Amish saw mill, and dumped in an outside pile before I bought some.

To get the most bang for my buck, and to hopefully produce the best boil rate ---- where and how should I add air?
If given one choice, should I go for AOF or AUF with this bathroom fan --- which I assume is very low pressure.
If AOF is a better choice, should I add air blowing from front toward the flue, or from one side blowing across the fire?
Should I simply cut a large hole for either AOF or AUF, or use a manifold of some type?