PDA

View Full Version : 3/16 questions

WI Sugarpop
01-05-2016, 08:27 PM
I have a couple tubing questions. All our taps so far have been with sap sacks but I would like to change that this year and could put about 100 on 3/16 tubing. I'm having trouble collecting on the side of the hill due to back issues. Do you use the same drops and taps every year and where do you get your vacuum gauges? If I didn't want to put a gauge on every lateral, how do you close up the end? We can't leave the tubing up in the bush so will have to figure out how to mark everything. Ideas would be appreciated.

David in MI
01-05-2016, 08:51 PM
Same drops every year; change taps though.

Vacuum gauges here: https://www.directmaterial.com/dry-utility-vacuum-gauge-lower-mount.html

I'm think I'm going to have the same problem this year and will need to take down some tubing in another woods. My initial thought is to spray paint the tubing and the tree at every intersection, using a different color paint for each run.

mellondome
01-05-2016, 09:34 PM
I have a couple tubing questions. All our taps so far have been with sap sacks but I would like to change that this year and could put about 100 on 3/16 tubing. I'm having trouble collecting on the side of the hill due to back issues. Do you use the same drops and taps every year and where do you get your vacuum gauges? If I didn't want to put a gauge on every lateral, how do you close up the end? We can't leave the tubing up in the bush so will have to figure out how to mark everything. Ideas would be appreciated.

You don't need gauges on the lines. Just put an end ring/hook on the top end. Your last tap will be the end of the line. For easy of removal and replacement, number each set of lines, and paint the trees where the lines contact them. Couple different colors to separate lines. Also helps to sketch a rough map.

WI Sugarpop
01-05-2016, 09:40 PM
Do you put more than one tap in a tree if it is large enough?

Super Sapper
01-06-2016, 05:18 AM
You can put 2 taps in if over 18 inches but it is not recommended to put any more if using vac. You will really like the 3/16 over bags, I tried it last year and it ran much better than the bags in the same woods.

WI Sugarpop
01-06-2016, 02:22 PM
Bob, where did you get your tubing and fittings? How many taps will you be putting on 3/16 this year? Do you have to take yours down at season end? Do you put a vacuum gauge on each lateral? Questions anyone? I mean answers anyone. This is all new to me. A couple years ago I would have said I'll never put tubing in cause it is too much work. Now carrying buckets is too much like work.

StayinLowTech
01-06-2016, 03:57 PM
If you have a steep drop and 30 feet of 3/16 tubing past the lowest tap before the tank, you will get vacuum and do not really need a gauge unless you are curious. All fittings must be tight with no air leaks possible. This is the same idea as siphoning liquids, when the 3/16 tubing reaches something larger (bigger tubing or collecting tank) the siphoning effect (vacuum) ends. If you can't touch your hands around the tree (and have average length arms) then put in 2 taps. And is it ever easier than carrying buckets.

WestfordSugarworks
01-06-2016, 04:17 PM
Keep in mind that if your or someone in the future who taps your trees ever wants to become Certified Organic, the paint on the trees will present a challenge. In Vermont at least, you aren't supposed to tap painted trees if you want to be Organic.

WI Sugarpop
01-06-2016, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the comments so far.

n8hutch
01-06-2016, 07:44 PM
Someone in the know told me CDL lowered their price on 1000' rolls of 3/16 to 65$$, I had good luck with it last year

Super Sapper
01-07-2016, 05:55 AM
I got my stuff at Roth's in Cadott. They have an open house the first weekend in Feb. Maple Hollow is nice but are not up on 3/16, I stopped during deer hunting and they were suprised people were having success with it. I will have about 100 taps on 3/16 again and do have to take it down. I painted the trees and marked the lines but we will see how it goes putting it back up. I also took pictures and video.

WI Sugarpop
01-08-2016, 08:22 PM
Can you use 5/16 taps and drops to the 3/16 laterals without losing vac? Also why are health tees called health tees?

BlueberryHill
01-08-2016, 08:34 PM
5/16 taps and drops are fine you won't lose vac.

maple flats
01-09-2016, 05:28 AM
The health tap got it's name as the taps were changing from a 7/16 hole to a 5/16. It is better for the tree because the hole closes up faster.

WI Sugarpop
01-09-2016, 07:35 AM
Thanks for all the info and if anyone has more tips about 3/16 natural vac, it would be greatly appreciated. I should have gone to a tubing seminar 2 years ago here in WI but I guess I was a little closed mined about tubing. Now after hearing about the great results and the help it would be for us for collecting, I changed my mind and plan on doing as many as we can in our 200 tap bush. Last year we switched from 7/16 alum taps to 5/16 SS taps. Things are always changing. I guess that is what makes this hobby fun and costly!!!

DrTimPerkins
01-09-2016, 12:01 PM
The health tap got it's name as the taps were changing from a 7/16 hole to a 5/16. It is better for the tree because the hole closes up faster.

While a 5/16" hole does close up faster, the primary benefit of a 5/16" (or 19/64") spout is that it creates a much smaller (~50%) internal wound to the tree than a 7/16" spout, yet produces close to the same sap yield under vacuum.

WI Sugarpop
01-12-2016, 06:38 PM
Got all our tubing supplies ordered. Can't wait to get it all installed. Will be -10*F tonight so will wait a little!!!

adk1
01-13-2016, 08:26 AM
Doc, if using 5/16" spouts, can you use a 19/64" drill bit :)

DrTimPerkins
01-13-2016, 10:59 AM
Doc, if using 5/16" spouts, can you use a 19/64" drill bit :)

You should use the bit recommended by the manufacturer for your spout. With gravity tubing (not 3/16") you could probably get away with it. Since you have vacuum, the margin for error (leaks) is far smaller, meaning that you should use the proper bit. Not saying that it "won't" work and that others haven't gotten away with it, just that it is better to go with what is recommended so you (hopefully) don't have any issues. The first place to lose money in sugaring is to get tapping wrong.

jmayerl
02-04-2016, 08:39 PM
Should the drops all be 3/16" also? Would that affect lower drops/taps if they were 3/16 not 5/16. I only ask because cdl had a very limited supply of fittings and I got 3/16x3/16x3/16 tees

WI Sugarpop
02-04-2016, 09:02 PM
In a different thread Dr. Tim said that it did not matter. You can use either.

eustis22
02-09-2016, 08:54 AM
how does one clean the lines after the season?

I assume new spiles are added to the drops for next year.

eustis22
02-10-2016, 06:16 PM
ok...nothingt from youse guys.

Here's another question. My lines froze...today there was some sap run...all my drops show leaks at the taps. Did the sap back up from the frozen lines?

psparr
02-10-2016, 06:29 PM
Most don't clean lines. Just let the first run go on the ground.
A good tapping bit and drilling procedure will help with the weeping. I have some. Still have good vac so not really a leak. I think I remember Dr. Tim saying the weeping will dry up after a while. Mine didn't. Also don't hit the taps in too hard. Could be splitting the wood a little.

lakeview maple
02-10-2016, 06:51 PM
I don't clean my lines, I finished tapping today and I left all the valves open on my tanks .The first run and it will flush out all the junk and we are in business.

Flatlander
02-10-2016, 08:29 PM
WI Sugarpop

I've been putting up and taking down tubing for many years on my neighbors property. I use the plastic hose reels you can buy at the local hardware store/big box store. Once you have your tubing up, spray paint lines on the trees that tubing is stretched from /around so you can stretch it back the next year at the same elevation and same location. I change taps every year and have been trying to change my drops every third year. Once you have the tubing back to the barn you can always hook it up to a hose for a good rinsing too.

Squirrels attacked me this year quite heavily on several of the lines that I don't take down. I rebuilt 3 lines with 3/16ths tubing and used the end of line hooks at the end of each lateral as was mentioned earlier by others. This year I think I will release these lateral lines at the end of season and coil them up and try tying them off to my main line. I am hoping the squirrels will leave them alone if they are not on the trees over the summer. You will like the tubing. I got tired of my buckets getting to the bottom of the hill before me a long time ago!

I get all my supplies from Roth's Sugar Bush up in Cadott as well. Check them out

Best wishes for a great season.

WI Sugarpop
02-10-2016, 09:06 PM
Hey Flatlander,
Thank you so much for all your info. I had thought of tubing in the past but didn't do it cause I knew I would have to take it down every year. What a pain. Then after hearing so much about the 3/16 and other guys taking it down, we decided to go for it. We ordered directly from CDL but other supplies we usually make a trip to Maple Hollow. Hope you have good season and look forward to see how you're doing.

Super Sapper
02-11-2016, 05:38 AM
You will really like the 3/16 and it will flow when the bags give nothing. Do a simple drawing of your lines along with painting the trees. I did the drawing on one of two lines last year and it was a lot easier to put back up than the other (who would of thought that there are that many trees to decide on which way to go around). It is more work putting it up but you will love the time saved collecting when your time is the most limited. You will need it for the extra sap you will get.

WI Sugarpop
02-11-2016, 07:01 AM
Thanks Bob for your help also. My plan is to go out the middle of next week to the bush and flag each lateral run with a different color flagging tape so that when we run the tubing we will be able to see where all the trees are. The trees are marked in the back with a white dot but you can't see them from the front. Supposed to be mid 30s next week.

eustis22
02-11-2016, 07:53 AM
Take it down? You don't leave it up year round?

WI Sugarpop
02-11-2016, 01:17 PM
We can't. Landowner says we can have it up during the season but that is it. They don't want it up the rest of the year.

maple flats
02-17-2016, 05:23 PM
What is it spinning on? If it won't spin you will most likely get too many twists in the line.