PDA

View Full Version : Tapping the 2016 season

Rossell's Sugar Camp
01-05-2016, 07:32 AM
Well, I'm getting everything ready here. Most of the spiles are changed and now I've just got to install this programmable logic controller and I'll be set. Going high tech this year!!!

Urban Sugarmaker
01-05-2016, 09:04 AM
Well, I'm getting everything ready here. Most of the spiles are changed and now I've just got to install this programmable logic controller and I'll be set. Going high tech this year!!!

What are you using your PLC for and what model PLC do you have? I'm using a CLICK PLC from Automation Direct to control my home built RO.

emericksmaple
01-17-2016, 07:23 PM
Well, I guess we are going to bite the bullet this week and go at it. RO is washed and ready to go as well as everything else. Weather looks good here for us starting next week around the 24th or 25th. We're hoping to have everything tapped by Saturday evening. Good luck to everyone.

D and D Sugar Camp
01-24-2016, 03:59 PM
Just finished putting 28 taps in all are on 3/16 gravity, looked at the temperatures for the end of the week and decided to go for it. Probably hang my buckets on Saturday,if the trees on tubing run a little this week. 4 out of the 28 holes were dripping. I guess we'll see what happens.

Sugarmaker
01-26-2016, 04:20 PM
Getting the tubing up today on the rented sugarbush. OK the only sugarbush:) Next will be the setting of the storage containers which I usually don't do till we are a day or so from tapping. Accu-weather just doesn't look good after the warm spell into mid next week! Not sure I want this stuff setting empty and out there for weeks!
Will be watching the forecast and continuing to get ready.
Regards,
Chris

D and D Sugar Camp
01-26-2016, 04:44 PM
Just came back from my tubing lines and two out of the three 3/16 laterals are running steady into my 1/2 main line. Not sure what's up with the 3rd lateral,guess those tree are playing hard to get. Everthing is on gravity. Just thought I'd share this.

unc23win
01-27-2016, 07:13 AM
Accu-weather just doesn't look good after the warm spell into mid next week! Not sure I want this stuff setting empty and out there for weeks! Will be watching the forecast and continuing to get ready.
Regards,
Chris

I have been watching the long term accu-weather myself boy did it change between late last week and now.

Sugarmaker
01-27-2016, 03:55 PM
Tightened right up again today. Stayed near the fire.:) Canned some nice Amber syrup.
Regards,
Chris

D and D Sugar Camp
01-27-2016, 05:50 PM
Rode up to my collection barrel after work , 32 gallons of sap collected since 5 pm yesterday. I added another 32 gallon barrel . Sap was barely moving in the tubing . My other lateral started to run sometime last night. Next 2 days doesn't look good , but looks like a pretty good stretch starting Saturday. Boiling Saturday!!

emericksmaple
01-27-2016, 09:05 PM
Tapped 2800 last week before the blizzard hit. Waded snow on Monday and tues walking lines and shoveling, but got a little over a gallon per tap yesterday and last night. Made 49 gal of top end amber tonight. we are going to try to finish up tapping the rest tom, fri and sat. Sat to mid next week looks great for us.

Sunday Rock Maple
01-27-2016, 09:27 PM
Tapped 2800 last week before the blizzard hit. Waded snow on Monday and tues walking lines and shoveling, but got a little over a gallon per tap yesterday and last night. Made 49 gal of top end amber tonight. we are going to try to finish up tapping the rest tom, fri and sat. Sat to mid next week looks great for us.

First blood for the HC4?

emericksmaple
01-28-2016, 07:06 AM
Yes, and it worked great!

Sugarmaker
01-28-2016, 07:15 AM
Matt,
Your off to a good start. You will be busy for a while now.
We are a little colder today, snow and freezing temps. We are going to have good conditions Sunday thur Wed this coming week. Haven't tapped yet and may wait till mid-Feb of next warm spell near then. Still getting ready.:)
Hope things are good!
Regards,
Chris

FunnyFarm
01-30-2016, 03:24 PM
All tapped! 335 this year. Just a little cleaning and waiting for the sap. Good luck all...

adatesman
01-31-2016, 08:16 AM
I'm just outside Philadelphia and put 32 taps in yesterday afternoon. Flow is definitely on, as I ended up with ~28 gallons of sap even though I didn't start collecting until 2 or 3 pm.

HowardR
01-31-2016, 12:31 PM
I wish I had tapped last week. It's a balmy 61 degrees at the moment and the sun is shining. According to the forecast, the next two days should be good runs also. But it takes me 3-5 days to put in my taps, so I've already missed this run and it's supposed to get cold again in just a few days. So I'll take my time and get ready for my usual start date -- February 15.

Paddymountain
01-31-2016, 02:18 PM
I likewise, am waiting to Valentines Day to tap. I just walked around my woods and saw as Red with a wound on it leaking sap.
I have a little more tubing to repair, and should have that done next Saturday.

Dennis H.
01-31-2016, 06:54 PM
All taps are in as of this afternoon. Not sure the number, forgot to keep track but it is more than 200.
I have a few small leaks that I have to find and fix. Vac level is about 23", I can normally run at 25". So when I run up to collect sap I will check out one part of the sugarbush then check another part the next sap run.
The trees are running so-so. I still have a few things to finish up here at the house so I am glad that it isn't running to fast.

meadster02
02-01-2016, 08:30 PM
Pulled the trigger on the sugarhouse bush tonight 300 taps in and got vac up to 25''. Two more bushes to go should be all tapped by wed. Sap was running tonight while i was tapping.

Dennis H.
02-02-2016, 05:59 PM
Running a little behind this year.

Funny how I thought that I had basically everything ready to go except bring the RO out of storage.
Ha, how wrong I was.
I am finding that there are a few more things than just the RO that needs taken care of, and I have sap that need boiled.

SO it looks like my first boil will be tomorrow.

Dennis H.
02-05-2016, 03:55 AM
Finally got my first boil in for the 2016 season.
Took a little more time an effort this year. Seems like I did not have all my ducks in a row, well they sort of at least.

Biggest problem was with the Vac. Tapped the trees this past weekend and by Weds morning I found that I was only running 15" of vac??? Due to time issues I could not investigate the leaks then so I had to wait a day. Ran for Sap Thurs and took a walk along the lines to find the leak.
I ended up finding 2 trees that were hissing from very small bug holes. The holes might have been about 1/16" round. The one hole was about 4" away from the tap hole?
SO I had to pull that tap and plug it for now.

I still have a few leaks to find as my Vac level is only at 23", I normally run about 25".
I plan on running up today and walking the lines but this time really looking at things and fixing any thing that looks like a problem area.

PATheron
02-05-2016, 05:02 AM
Dennis- What do you use for a vac pump now? Do you have another piston pump or are you using a vein pump now? Wish you had another 22 you wanted to sell me. I could use one of those pump heads. Being warmer down there you must be looking at a pretty good forecast. Looks like colder here next two weeks. Theron

Sugarmaker
02-05-2016, 08:18 AM
dennis,
Looks like your off and running! Good for you!
Weather is wintery here today again. Warming trend for next 3-4 days so we may get some taps in a week earlier than normal?
Was able to get down to Gary R's and visit with him while he made some delicious dark syrup! He has a very nice sugarhouse and the A&A rig preformed very well! Gary showed us some of his 3/16 tubing setups too!

Regards,
Chris

Dennis H.
02-06-2016, 12:36 PM
I am running a SP11, the little brother to the big SP's. That thing runs as good as the that big SP but with out all the power requirements.
I do have a SP22 that I got at an auction about 3 yrs ago. I am going to hold onto that one for awhile. That was the 1sy and only SP22 that I have seen up for sale at any auction that I have gone to so I made sure I grabbed it.

Weather here is good but it is still early season so there are up days and down days. Yesterday I got a full cage tank of sap, 275 gals, then today I had just 50 gals???
The forecast looks good for the next few days but by mid week we are going to be frozen up.
Glad I tapped when I did cause there was a few issues that I had to work thru and this gave me the time to get them resolved without having to do it when the sap was really running.

Good luck everyone, go time is right around the corner.

Paddymountain
02-06-2016, 03:37 PM
I'm in!!! I have 235 taps in on tubing in the last 3 days. 90 Reds on vac at the house, 106 Sugars on 5/16 gravity, and 39 on 3/16 gravity.
In one day I have become a believer in 3/16!!!! I only have 2 places where I could make it work with the grade , but man!!! It didn't start running today til noon, but by 2:30
sap was barreling down the tube. If anyone has any kind of slope , put it in. I still have about 125 buckets to put out, but they will have to wait until next week.
It looks like we'll be in the deep freeze until next Monday. I don't know if I'll have enough to boil tomorrow nite, looks like it's supposed to be pretty nice tomorrow,we'll see.

Sugarmaker
02-06-2016, 04:14 PM
600 + taps in place bring it on!
Looks good for at least one run. Then back to cold again. Well we are about a week early but I had some help and the weather was good to tap.
Regards,
Chris

Dennis H.
02-06-2016, 05:59 PM
Paddymountain, it sure seems that 3/16 is the big thing these days.

I would be interested in doing the 3/16 for one section of trees but there is no way for the sap to get to my sap tank without a mainline. SO they will stay on vac for now.

D and D Sugar Camp
02-06-2016, 06:28 PM
Dennis,
I'm really pleased with 3/16th, but you definitely have to have the drop. I have no air pockets when running just a solid column of sap.
I have very good fall and tried to keep to 30' of drop after the last tap.
It was a pleasure to run and easy to keep tight. No complaints.

Turtlecreek
02-07-2016, 09:02 AM
I am waiting it out here at my place. Starting to get things around but not looking to tap until the 14th or so at this point, kinda glad that I waited it out since we will be in a deep freeze here for a little bit.

Dennis, I have been runing those 3/16 spiles on my buckes for about 2 years now and i really like them to be honest, I have been thinking about tubing them but the one bush I have the owner doesnt want the tubing hanging around all the time so I would have to set it up every year and take it down so it is buckets for me :(

Has anyone switched over to the new grading system? I need to buy grade labels and am trying to figure out how I want to grade this year, use the new or old system. I am leading to the new system, my Ag inspector seems like he could care less just as long as everything is clean he is happy.

Sugarmaker
02-08-2016, 11:44 PM
We have used the new grading system for a year now. No complaints.
Last night we gathered about 1000 gallons of sap and boiled it in today. About 12 gallons filtered.
Having lots of trouble with big draws and syrup being made in the center partitions! Will try to get a handle on this tomorrow as another 750 gallons of 2.3% sap waits for its turn in the morning.
BTW the grade of the first run syrup was Amber.
Looks to get cold again, so we will begin to shut things down, and wait it out.
Regards,
Chris
Chris

Maplewalnut
02-09-2016, 09:44 AM
We also changed to the new grading system. No complaints, although you can tell when people are looking for the once famous little red sticker formerly known as Pa grade B. When you explain it for a minute they have no problems.

Paddymountain
02-10-2016, 07:14 AM
We managed to collect 350 gallons of sap since Saturday and got it all boiled last night.
I have the head tank drained, and need to drain the evaporator at noon. looks like the freeze up is on the way for central Pa.
We did get around 3 gal of syrup, judging by the bubbles at draw off, I think it's fairly light, we'll see.

Sugarmaker
02-10-2016, 10:16 AM
Worked on the rig yesterday to see if improvements could be made to the AOF system. This was to improve the boil in the finish compartment of this old reverse flow rig. Added a air stop in the center of the AOF air tube. Removed the front pan, some cutting, grinding and welding and walla. Added valves to the air inlet on each side of the arch so that now the air can be regulated depending on which side you draw off. Had much better results last night. The syrup temperature seemed to remain more stable during draw offs. Which was the goal. Now for some more fine tuning, maybe it will make more consistent syrup? Some times i think a old flat pan on some blocks would be much easier:)
Was good to be in a warm sugarhouse last night as the temps dropped and the snow came back. 6-8 inches of snow this morning. Sap is shut down for a few days.
Lots of visitors at the sugarhouse helping make syrup. We made 30 gallons of Amber syrup in the last two days which is good for our sized operation. Flavor was very good!
Hope things are good as folks get started.
Regards,
Chris

HowardR
02-12-2016, 07:49 AM
I'm going to start tapping on Monday. The long-term forecast for Kittanning (right in the middle of western PA) suggests that a big run will be starting on Friday.

I would have tapped during the balmy weather at the beginning of February, but I just wasn't ready. I've actually been pleased to read in the "Anyone boiling in PA" thread that sugar concentrations have been low so I don't feel too bad that I missed the first run.

Instead, I went through with my plan to expand the diameter of the lower pipes that take my sap down to the garage where I boil. (I am all gravity feed, no vacuum.) My tubing system grew up haphazardly over the years. I basically have four half inch pipes climbing my hillside with an average of about 100 taps on each. Now, each pair of half inch pipes joins to become a 3/4" pipe (instead of y-ing into each other) and the two 3/4" pipes join to become a 1" pipe (instead of 3/4"). I'm hoping that I'll get more sap as a result of expanding the diameter of the pipes.

Sugarmaker
02-12-2016, 11:05 AM
Howard sounds like good improvements to your systems! You havent missed to much yet. We are froze up for a week or more.
Spent time in the sugarhouse getting the frozen slush warmed up and doing some detailing on equipment/ systems.
Did purchase a cotton candy machine yesterday.
Completed the AOF control system upgrades.
Had a new deep float made for the float box on the drop flue rig. Thanks to Creekside welding and machine for the quick service.
Working on a concept to keep the filter press hot between filtering events during the day. Anyone have comments on this?
Regards,
Chris

Paddymountain
02-17-2016, 10:57 AM
Thought I'd bring this thread up to date. It's starting to thaw out in Central Pa. Had the vac on yesterday and pulled in a little sap.
Also, checked my one gravity bush and it ran about 4" in a cage tank yesterday. not too much, but the week end looks promising.
I have about 125 buckets to put out and am glad I waited til after the slop mess yesterday. My sap I drained from my evaporator last week
is froze solid in 6 buckets. maybe when the sun comes out, I'll set them out to thaw. I'm looking to boil again on Saturday.
I'm thinking this will be the real start to the season.

Sugarmaker
02-17-2016, 12:04 PM
Yep ,looks like it will be correct temps and weather for a sap flow this weekend in NWPA.
Regards,
Chris

unc23win
02-17-2016, 12:20 PM
Chris are you thinking you could get more through Siro if you could make it warmer? Do you filter from the evaporator or a canner? I would think you could maybe heat the Siro with a propane burner I you got the dist ace right it probably wouldn't hurt it or scorch it?

I filter mine right off the evaporator once I learn the right amount of DE to charge the filter with (changes a little throughout the season) I can filter all night so far I haven't made more than 40 gallons a night. I know guys who get a lot more through it which is mainly because they are drawing off more syrup more often.

Sugarmaker
02-17-2016, 06:45 PM
Chris are you thinking you could get more through Siro if you could make it warmer? Do you filter from the evaporator or a canner? I would think you could maybe heat the Siro with a propane burner I you got the dist ace right it probably wouldn't hurt it or scorch it?

I filter mine right off the evaporator once I learn the right amount of DE to charge the filter with (changes a little throughout the season) I can filter all night so far I haven't made more than 40 gallons a night. I know guys who get a lot more through it which is mainly because they are drawing off more syrup more often.

Jared,
I did start a post on this issue. I am going to try to run hot water off the steam away drain into a pail with the Siro filter setting in the pail. I have never gotten more than about 20 gallon through the filter, but we never make much more than 20 gallon per day.
We do draw off the evaporator. Draws are not real steady off the rig. still boiling raw sap.
Good luck with your season!
Regards,
Chris

KV Sappers
02-17-2016, 08:11 PM
I'm off and running. Tapped 20 trees today. Sap was running on all of them. Weather looks good next couple of days.

Paddymountain
02-17-2016, 08:26 PM
The transfer pump burned up on my releaser today, got a new one coming in the mail. Guess it's better now than when things get really hopping!

Dennis H.
02-18-2016, 01:43 AM
KV Sappers, that is great to hear. I guess you all will finally get to try that new evap out.

PaddyMtn, That is a bummer about the transfer pump, are you using an electric releaser?

Paddymountain
02-18-2016, 07:11 AM
Dennis H. I'm using an old surge milkhouse electric releaser. It has worked well for about 5 years. I can run about 22" of vacuum on it.
I put a solonoid on the vac side,with an orifice to bleed vacuum down a little bit whille the transfer pump is on. I can get about 2" more vacuum ,and the pump
overcomes it better. I have a Bender that I'm going to plumb in before the weekend, How much vacuum can I run with it? My new motor ships out of Wisconsin, so I probably won't see it until Monday.

Sugarmaker
02-18-2016, 08:06 AM
Folks,
Right at zero this morning and they are predicting 50ish by Friday evening. Maybe have a run by Sat if things get thawed out?
Have 60-70 gallons of sap sickles setting in 5 gallon buckets that will take a while to thaw too!
Looks like a good weekend to get tapped if your not already.
Regards,
Chris

lpakiz
02-18-2016, 08:11 AM
Paddy mountain,
I ran a Bender several seasons. They will work properly up to about 18 inches HG, then they will hang up after a dump and not reset. The float and rod get sucked up onto a seat at the top of the unit for the dump. The problem is vacuum over 18 is too strong to let the rod and float pull away after the fluid level drops. The solution is a bit more weight on the float rod. I used 2 SS nuts, 1/2 inch thread.

Paddymountain
02-19-2016, 06:51 PM
Thank Ipakiz: I'm still working on the Bender, Pretty cold here today ,but sap should run tomorrow. Between last night and tonight we
got all our buckets out. I'm not sure how many, maybe 100 , I'll count when I gather. The neighbor got his buckets out tonite too, we should be at
400 taps total. That's about all I can do and still keep a job! In a couple years I'll be retired, and then it will be a pleasure to boil all day instead of all night.

KV Sappers
02-20-2016, 08:51 PM
Collected 12 gal. sap today, 1st. of the season. Trees ran fairly good averaged little over 1/2 gal per bucket. Expect trees to run most of night will do my first boil of the season tomorrow.

Turtlecreek
02-20-2016, 10:24 PM
Well after tapping 57 trees this week and enduring the freeze up, I collected about 40 gallons today. I modifed my barrel arch this year and wholey smokes this thing is a rocket now!! I can keep a rolling boil goint in my pan with 3 inches of sap in it yahoo!!

All I did to modify the arch is instead of a 6 inch stove pipe out the back I got a floor register duct and put it in the back, this spread out the hot gasses over a 12 inch area instead of straight up the 6 inch stack. I also cut down on the distance below the pan and now there is onle about 3 inches between the pan and the bricks in the back.

My pan is sweet now and I should start to maks syrup tomorow after church. Temps in the 60's here today really woke up the bush real nice. It is still 40 here so tomorrow I should need a life preserver to collect sap!!

Dennis H.
02-21-2016, 05:21 PM
KVSapper, how did they run today for you. It seems like that they ran all night long.

KV Sappers
02-21-2016, 07:15 PM
KVSapper, how did they run today for you. It seems like that they ran all night long.
Collected 12 gal. yesterday morning and another 14 this morning. Sugar percent was at 2% which is great for me. Started my first boil today. Evaporator was boiling at about 8 GPH. I am one happy syrup maker. Did not draw-off yet still sweetening the pans. I checked the buckets this afternoon and they were not running much. Looks like tomorrow should be a good day. How are you doing?

unc23win
02-21-2016, 08:35 PM
Well I got a pretty good run yesterday and managed to sweeten the pans last night. I needed a little more sap to make syrup. Spent the morning looking for leaks and got decent run today after it hardly froze. Made 23 gallons of Amber Rich. I am very glad to get started

Paddymountain
02-22-2016, 09:57 PM
Here's a picture of the moon through the cupola. I took it on Saturday night.
We boiled the last 3 nights, have been making some nice light syrup. On my last post, I was having trouble getting a bender releaser working.
Got it sorted out on Saturday morning and was able to draw in sap all weekend. My new transfer pump motor came today. It's mounted , just need to wire it up, and be back in business. Hope everyone is staying caught up!

Sugarmaker
02-23-2016, 07:06 AM
Did you set up your sugarhouse like stonehedge? To be aligned with the planets? That's cool!
We mad another 14 gallon of nice amber syrup last night. We continue to move forward!
Regards,
Chris

Paddymountain
02-25-2016, 07:58 AM
Boiled until 1:30 last night. Don't know what I'm going to do when the big sap hits!!!
3/16 tubing @ 11.8 gpt after 6 gatherings

unc23win
02-25-2016, 08:14 AM
I'd say the 3/16 is doing good for you Paddy

D and D Sugar Camp
02-25-2016, 04:10 PM
That's a great average , we are at 9.2 gpt on our 3/16 after 5 gatherings. There is definitely something to be said for the 3/16 system set up correctly with good fall. I will probably run out of time to boil when the heavy runs show up. My 6gph evaporation rate won't cut it when I am only able to boil on the weekends, we are definitely going to be purchasing a evaporator for next season.

Boil on,
D&D

Rossell's Sugar Camp
02-25-2016, 08:26 PM
What are you using your PLC for and what model PLC do you have? I'm using a CLICK PLC from Automation Direct to control my home built RO.
Sorry to finally get back to you here. I am using a plc to control my vacuum pump and electric releaser and the pump to pump the sap to the sugarhouse. I made my own Liquid level detection circuit with up to 6 channels using the analog inputs on an atmel atmega 328P microcontroller. I used this to detect sap in the releaser and in the tank to control the different pumps. It starts and stops with flow and not temperature. The next step is a web interface and a HMI using LabVIEW. The PLC I used was actually just an ALLEN BRADLEY MICROLOGIX 1000. Just simple Discreet I/O. Nothing special. How do you like the CLICK PLC from Automation direct. my understanding is that the programming software is free.

Sugarmaker
02-26-2016, 11:10 AM
Sorry to finally get back to you here. I am using a plc to control my vacuum pump and electric releaser and the pump to pump the sap to the sugarhouse. I made my own Liquid level detection circuit with up to 6 channels using the analog inputs on an atmel atmega 328P microcontroller. I used this to detect sap in the releaser and in the tank to control the different pumps. It starts and stops with flow and not temperature. The next step is a web interface and a HMI using LabVIEW. The PLC I used was actually just an ALLEN BRADLEY MICROLOGIX 1000. Just simple Discreet I/O. Nothing special. How do you like the CLICK PLC from Automation direct. my understanding is that the programming software is free.

Way to technical for this old man!
Would be neat to see it work!
I remember when we used buckets, hanging on metal spiles!:) Wait I still have a few of those! Every time you took the lid off it was like a package on Christmas morning!
Regards,
Chris

mapleack
02-26-2016, 08:23 PM
Up and going since this past Saturday. Probably have about 50 gallons made. I haven't been on the trader for way too long, our 8 month old future sugarmaker sure has changed priorities around here!

unc23win
02-26-2016, 08:58 PM
Welcome back Andy and congratulations! I know all about the priority change I have an 8 month old myself.

emericksmaple
02-26-2016, 09:11 PM
Well I'll give a quick update on us. We boiled our 1st Jan 27th and have boiled 14 times total so far. We are at 1003,gallon so far. Sugar content has not been the best, but the new HC4 is doing a fantastic job. All of our syrup has been amber and golden, but lately has been very hard to filter. the other night I only was able to put 60 gal through our 10'' press.

Happy sugarin to all!!!!

Sugarmaker
02-27-2016, 08:42 AM
Matt,
Great job! Thanks for the update! That's a pile of syrup!
Regards,
Chris

Sugarmaker
02-27-2016, 08:45 AM
Up and going since this past Saturday. Probably have about 50 gallons made. I haven't been on the trader for way too long, our 8 month old future sugarmaker sure has changed priorities around here!

Andy,
Congratulations! Good to hear form you! Hope your season is good. Take care of that little one.
Regards,
Chris

Paddymountain
02-27-2016, 10:39 PM
Finished up boiling about 11 tonight. Have all the filtering and bottling caught up. It looks like it might get a little warmer the next few days.
Thursday and Friday , didn't produce too well. Hope everyone is having fun!!!!

HowardR
02-28-2016, 08:20 AM
After a cold half week of below freezing highs, it looks like today is going to be one of my biggest days ever for sap. It's just 9:15am and the sap is already pouring in. And the temperature is only supposed to get down to 39 tonight, so this should be one of those nights when the heavy flow keeps going all night.

D and D Sugar Camp
02-28-2016, 11:17 AM
It's a gusher!! Yahoo!!! 64 gals on 43 taps since 11pm last night. I love it!!

mapleack
02-28-2016, 08:09 PM
Andy,
Congratulations! Good to hear form you! Hope your season is good. Take care of that little one.
Regards,
Chris Thanks Chris, I appreciate it. Nice day today, 1200 gal of sap. Probably lots more tomorrow.

Paddymountain
02-28-2016, 08:27 PM
Help.....!!!!!

Dennis H.
02-29-2016, 12:15 AM
Yes, the sap is running! The releaser was dumping every 1 1/2 minutes this afternoon when I went and collected.
Figure the tank will be full again in the morning.

Sugarmaker
02-29-2016, 07:02 AM
Yesterday we had a good day for our small operation, and made 16 gallons of nice Amber Rich syrup from 625 gallons of 2% sap. I think our total is around 100 gallons for the year. Grade has gone slightly darker.
Regards,
Chris

KV Sappers
02-29-2016, 08:37 AM
Yes, the sap is running! The releaser was dumping every 1 1/2 minutes this afternoon when I went and collected.
Figure the tank will be full again in the morning.
Boy the sap was running yesterday. Collected 32 1/2 gal from 28 buckets. Best collection I ever had in one day. Thanks for stopping by Dennis. You must have brought me good luck because I got my first draw-off yesterday. Just shy of 1/2 gal of syrup. Got those floats adjusted better.

Gary R
02-29-2016, 05:32 PM
I'm already done for the season. Totally cleaned the evaporator yesterday. Tapped 1/30 and made first syrup 1/31. We made about 25 gal. of dark and dumped plenty of sap. Time to relax and visit others. Good luck guys.

Dennis H.
02-29-2016, 06:47 PM
KVSappers, glad to hear that the new evap is working now. Now you should be able to draw off more often now that the pan is making syrup.
It was a very good day for sap for us.

Gary, How was the sugar content for you. Was it better this year? Mine is still low, I now think that it is just my trees.

mapleack
02-29-2016, 09:35 PM
2,400 gal of sap today when we quit gathering at 6 pm. Probably biggest sap day ever. Sap that I tested was 1.3 percent, so about 36 gal of syrup made today.

HowardR
02-29-2016, 11:22 PM
Long term forecast calls for nights above freezing after Sunday night; so just one more week of sap if the forecast is correct.

Last year, the sap started running around March 6. This year it looks like it will stop running around March 6.

Dennis H.
03-01-2016, 05:50 PM
Sap is changing, Noticed that it is getting cloudier and sugar content is dropping a little.
Next few days look good but I am worried that come next week it may be the end for me.

KV Sappers
03-02-2016, 08:30 AM
Looks like season is coming to a close. I think Sunday's great run was the start of the end. Trees ran a little Monday but did not run yesterday at all. Rest of week looks good but I think that's going to be the end. I'm getting a lot of moth in my buckets and that normally is a sign for me that season is ending.

unc23win
03-02-2016, 09:20 AM
It is a little windy out there today and was most of the night got a freeze anyhow looks like it might not get above freezing until Friday maybe. The forecast is as usual unreliable past 2-3 days.

YoungFamilyFarm
03-02-2016, 09:39 AM
Our first year in and how strange it's been. We tapped on 1/30 and have had 6 'run cycles' as of last night. Looks like Monday could be the beginning of the end. Not sure if I should be upset though, we made 6000 gallons of sap and over 100 gallons of syrup on 466 taps. I would call it successful albeit an early start and end. I wondered if some folks could give me production per tap numbers they have gotten? We are close to 13 gal sap/tap this year on 26-27 in/hg vacuum. Not sure if this is what I should expect in years to come? We are cooking at a friends place this year, and building our sugar house/buying equipment for next. Just having a hard time deciding if this is a "baseline" kind of production? Info and opinions appreciated!!!!

Sugarmaker
03-02-2016, 10:39 AM
Our first year in and how strange it's been. We tapped on 1/30 and have had 6 'run cycles' as of last night. Looks like Monday could be the beginning of the end. Not sure if I should be upset though, we made 6000 gallons of sap and over 100 gallons of syrup on 466 taps. I would call it successful albeit an early start and end. I wondered if some folks could give me production per tap numbers they have gotten? We are close to 13 gal sap/tap this year on 26-27 in/hg vacuum. Not sure if this is what I should expect in years to come? We are cooking at a friends place this year, and building our sugar house/buying equipment for next. Just having a hard time deciding if this is a "baseline" kind of production? Info and opinions appreciated!!!!

Brian,
Sound like you did good!
Base line avg might be .25 gallons of syrup per tap on buckets or gravity tubing. .5 gallon of syrup on good sugarbush with high vacuum.
We average .25 to .3 gallons of syrup on 600 ish taps on gravity, made 200 gallons last year, as a example. Each year can be different! Good luck with your sugaring operation!
Regards,
Chris

HowardR
03-02-2016, 10:52 AM
About 20 years ago, I tapped my trees a second time -- in late March -- and I actually got a good flow from the new taps. I'm thinking that this year might be a good time to try that strategy, assuming that after next week it gets cold again.

Here's my thinking: This week, my taps haven't been yielding as much as they normally would, so the holes must be healing due to the daytime warmth. But, on the other hand, I see some evidence that the season is not that far advanced. There's the calendar. (I've never ended a season this early.) Then there's the rest of nature. I still haven't seen any insects to speak of, and I usually see a lot when the season it is over.

So, my question is: What do you think?

YoungFamilyFarm
03-02-2016, 12:09 PM
I appreciate the info Chris. I should get the wife and kids over to your place and check things out. We are excited to get started and do everything at our farm. One step at a time. This is by far the most expensive hobby I have tried to date!

billyinvt
03-02-2016, 12:26 PM
The 10 day forecast looks VERY WARM. With night time temps so high, I am worried about trees budding. Up til now I have been happy about the lack of snow in the woods, but I sorta wish we had that season extending insulation now.

Paddymountain
03-02-2016, 04:00 PM
It's been a rough season here in Central Pa. Burned up the motor on my releaser, blew the diaphragm on my hand pump on the filter press, and scorched
the syrup pan on Monday. All in all though, I'm still having fun. It looks like there is a big warm up coming next week. That may be the death knell for us
syrup makers here in Pa. I've only made about half the syrup I normally do, but I guess that's how you know when you have a banner year.

Gary R
03-02-2016, 07:27 PM
Dennis, Sugar has been almost as low as last year, about 1.1. Two bad years in a row. Hopefully it is just a weather thing (time will tell). My previous few years were almost .5 higher. Here is a bad theory of mine. What if trees have an "X" amount of sugar stored in the ground at all times of the year. A few years under high vacuum and we have removed those extra stores. We don't need freeze thaws to get sap. We're pulling it from the ground.

Andy, congrats on the new addition to the family.

Howard, I'd only do it if the trees could handle an extra tap. Too much tapping will bring poor sap flows in the future.

Brian, welcome to this expensive hobby. At that vacuum I'd expect to be in the mid 20 gal. per tap. You guys might survive this warm spell up there. Keep your hopes up.

I have been making sap and selling it. Since Sunday I've had about 900 gal come in. My 3/16 ran over 3 gal/tap Sunday night. Tanks overflowing a few times.

mapleack
03-02-2016, 07:41 PM
About 20 years ago, I tapped my trees a second time -- in late March -- and I actually got a good flow from the new taps. I'm thinking that this year might be a good time to try that strategy, assuming that after next week it gets cold again.

Here's my thinking: This week, my taps haven't been yielding as much as they normally would, so the holes must be healing due to the daytime warmth. But, on the other hand, I see some evidence that the season is not that far advanced. There's the calendar. (I've never ended a season this early.) Then there's the rest of nature. I still haven't seen any insects to speak of, and I usually see a lot when the season it is over.

So, my question is: What do you think? Howard, I tried the second hole idea ONCE about 15 years ago, also after a long hot spell. The new holes were placed 3" below the first holes, thinking it would only damage the same column of sap wood. They ran sap, but I'll never do it again do to splits and general stress on the tree. We have to just take what we are given and be optimistic that next year will be better!

Dennis H.
03-02-2016, 08:01 PM
KVSappers I think you are right, the end is near. I am holding out till Sun-Mon. to see if the few days of cold will give me one last run.

I can tell that I am beat, wore out and tired, I pulled my one bone-headed move of the year today. I ran for sap this morning hoping I would get another tank load of sap and was very surprised that the tank was empty, funny. Took a look at the releaser and seen ice in it and also ice hanging from it so there was sap running. Still no sap in tank, not a drop.
OH S%^&, drain valve, yeap, I left it open from the day before.

Gary, I was actually thinking that my sugar content would be up this year. I have read that the season after a low seed producing summer will have higher sugar content and we had almost no seeds this past summer.

HowardR
03-03-2016, 04:03 PM
Thank you Gary R and Andy for your thoughts on my idea. Instead of tapping the same trees again, I'll be tapping trees that I haven't tapped before. If I tap again, it will only be if the forecast starts calling for below freezing nights again and if the trees haven't budded yet.

Paddymountain
03-04-2016, 07:08 PM
Spent the last two evenings getting caught up on bottling. I have all the tanks washed out, and need to hose out the flue pan, and give the syrup pan a vinegar
soak in the morning. Not much of a run the last day or so. I also dumped the ice out of my buckets that has been accumulating since Wednesday.
Tomorrow we might get something, however they are calling for 42 and cloudy we'll see. If not Sunday -Monday for sure. Don't know if the end is in sight
we'll have to wait and see. I'm at half crop right now.

Sugarmaker
03-04-2016, 08:17 PM
I appreciate the info Chris. I should get the wife and kids over to your place and check things out. We are excited to get started and do everything at our farm. One step at a time. This is by far the most expensive hobby I have tried to date!

Brian,
I was not looking at your location in your post. Sounds like you are close by! You will be busy this weekend, but if you do get a chance your welcome to stop in anytime. I think we will be boiling Sunday evening???? Expensive? Yes that can happen in this hobby:)
Regards,
Chris

KV Sappers
03-04-2016, 08:17 PM
Dennis, what a bummer on the drain valve. I only collected 17 gal on Monday then the trees stopped running. Got 13 gal. this evening and they were running pretty good. Next 2 days look good and probably Monday morning but after that I think will be done. Sap is starting to get a slight yellow hue to it and extended forecast has temps not dropping below freezing. Short season for sure but hey I got my feet wet with that new evaporator. Already making plans for next year.

Dennis H.
03-04-2016, 08:23 PM
KVSapper, I am excited to see what sap ran for me also.
Today did not go anywhere near what I had planned for yesterday. I had my annual food inspection this morning, which went very good. I then was going to finish and filter syrup that I had made the past few days, then do a sap run.
Well at least the food inspection happened! Everything after that did not. So now that I hear that your trees ran I am kind of interested what may be waiting for me in the morning.

KV Sappers
03-06-2016, 09:01 PM
Thought today would be a good day for trees to run. Not so for me. Collected all of 7 1/2 gals. today off 28 trees. Looks like my trees are shutting down. How did anybody else do?

Z/MAN
03-06-2016, 09:30 PM
Got about a pint of sap.:cry:

PA TAPPER
03-06-2016, 09:44 PM
Thought today would be a good day for trees to run. Not so for me. Collected all of 7 1/2 gals. today off 28 trees. Looks like my trees are shutting down. How did anybody else do?

I collected an boiled 135 gallon of sap today from 280 taps. My Maple are slowing down, no surprise as I had tapped them Jan 1st. My walnut are flowing nicely on 3/16 tubing and doing fair on buckets.

Dennis H.
03-07-2016, 02:02 AM
Did not get as much as I was hoping, Found that the moisture trap on the vacuum pump was tripped??
Cleared that out and got things going and found that I had a major vac leak, dropline came undone at a tap. I think that happened yesterday or last night and once there was nto enough vac to reset the releaser the sap just got sucked up the vac inlet line and filled the moisture trap.
So two things, one I lost sap after some point yesterday and lost all sap till I went up in the afternoon to find this happening. Oh well.

Sap is getting cloudier so not a real big deal. I did bring back about 120 gals and I was even able to boil for an hour.

As long as my releaser wows are over I should get a load of sap today and maybe even Tues morning. It sure does look like that I will be done at that point.
I have no interest in making late season syrup. I just don't want to deal with the foam and really dirty syrup.

Paddymountain
03-07-2016, 07:10 AM
I had a pretty good run yesterday. we got it all boiled last night. I'm really trying to stay on top of it as warm weather is on its way.
Made about 4 gallons of syrup last night. If the is the end we will fall pretty short of a regular season.
Everyone, get everything you can!!!!

Sugarmaker
03-07-2016, 08:38 AM
Probably will gather this afternoon. Yesterday the temps got to 40 late in the P.m. then dropped back to freezing. So not much sap out there now. but temps are climbing and we should be at a pace of 100 gallons of sap per hour for the next several hours. Then it will probably slow down over night.
Sure doesn't look like a freeze again for almost 2 weeks. Hummm?
Regards,
Chris

D and D Sugar Camp
03-07-2016, 05:34 PM
Just moved 110 gallons from the bush to our walk in cooler, going to collect tonight thru tomorrow and pull my taps tomorrow evening. 70° tomorrow and 76°Wednesday with night lows in the high 40s. This stinks!! Time to get the Ranger out and hit the Lake!

KV Sappers
03-07-2016, 06:14 PM
I collected 15 gals. today. Sap still looks good but with temps in the 60/70 and lows in 40's I'm pulling all taps tomorrow. Will do final boil tomorrow. Now its time to go fly fishing.

Dennis H.
03-07-2016, 07:51 PM
Sap is still flowing here and it has cleared up a little, still cloudy but not as bad as yesterdays sap. Sugar content is holding steady too.
Still fighting lost sap though, for some reason all of a sudden I am having the moisture trap fill up with sap and drop vac to releaser and trees.
Adjusted a few things and will see how that helps for the rest of today and tomorrow.

sbedilion
03-08-2016, 08:35 PM
Finished my first season w a goal of 1 gallon. Finished the season w 3 gallons of syrup, 2 pints of maple cream, and 1 pint of sugar. Started w 1 aluminum buffet pan...quickly upgraded to 2 stainless steel buffet pans...then luckiy a coworker who is a laser operator at the metal fab shop i work at is also doing it and fab'd us up 2 2x3 flat pans. The kids loved it...Im hooked. My daughter is taking a jar in for show in tell to her preschool class. You guys have been a wealth of knowledge. Thanks!13667

Evets
03-08-2016, 09:45 PM
That's great! Good job getting the kids involved.

KV Sappers
03-09-2016, 07:08 PM
Season is officially over for me. Did last boil today, cleaned up buckets, sap tanks, and have evaporator soaking for cleanup tomorrow. Short season but one of my best. Ended season with 3 gals. 1 qt. with a ratio of 49 to 1. Hope everyone else has a good season see you next year.

Dennis H.
03-09-2016, 07:22 PM
It is over me also, taps are pulled and tubing has been cleaned and hanging to dry now.

KVSappers, that is great to hear that even though it was a short season you managed to have your best year.

sbedilion, that is great to hear the kids are having fun make maple syrup. It sounds like you are hooked now, upgrades during the season is a sure sign that you now have an maple syrup addiction.

Sugarmaker
03-10-2016, 11:10 AM
Folks,
We may be done today/ tomorrow? Gathered 450 gallons of sap yesterday and had another 200 delivered at just the right moment last night.
With several suppliers of sap we are currently at 173 gallons of syrup with some left in the evaporator. I think my taps have made around 145/150 gallons of syrup.
Sugar content was still at 2%.
Grade is dark robust.
With rain last night there may be a 150 gallons of sap waiting as we finish the 2016 season.
Regards,
Chris

unc23win
03-11-2016, 11:25 AM
Bring on the freeze! Calling for a freeze starting around 11 tonight low around 26'

Sugarmaker
03-11-2016, 05:06 PM
Well You could have warned us sooner!:)
Just picked all my storage containers. Will start cleaning tubing in a few days.
We finished with 180 gallons of syrup made for 2016. About 150 gallons from my taps (.23 gallons per tap) and the rest from other folks taps.
Did not make any Golden Delicate syrup this season.
Will see how folks do through this freeze and into the next weeks.
Regards,
Chris

Paddymountain
03-11-2016, 07:17 PM
I finished boiling on Wednesday night. Have the sap from the evaporator condensed down to about 7 gallons. Still need to filter and bottle about
20 gallons of syrup. With the warm weather we just tried to keep the sap boiled. Evaporator is soaking in vinegar water, and all the buckets are down.
Tomorrow is bucket washing day. Not sure what my syrup total will be, but we got 3000 gal of sap. Sugar content was about as low as I've ever
seen. Looked at a small woods tonight that could be set up on 3/16 and do pretty well.

Springfield Acer
03-11-2016, 08:30 PM
I boiled my last sap last night keeping after my sugar maple sap each night. I gave up on my reds Sunday.
My friend kept bringing about 100 gal a night that was always 1.9 to 2.0!
It's too bad the weather brought it to an end.
I gathered all my tanks and buckets tonight and will filter and bottle tomorrow and wash buckets Sunday.
By the time I boil down what is left in the rig, I'll top out just short of 50 gal - compared to 80 or more the last two years.
We boiled 25% less sap and got 37% less syrup.
Now to prep for '17!

emericksmaple
03-11-2016, 08:42 PM
Well we have called it quits too. I'm going to boil the pan out tomorrow for our maple weekend. Overall we didn't do too bad. Had 4200 taps and ended up with 1775 gallons of syrup. Most of it is Grade A Amber. We did make about 10 drums of Golden. Only made about 300 gallons of dark, and a little very dark. Sugar content sucked!!! Most was 1.5% if we could of held 2% I think we could have made a full crop. Overall I think most of Somerset county is going to range somewhere in 50% to 70% of a crop. Just to put the word out. I'm looking to buy about 50 to 70 drums of Grade A amber or Grade A Dark. Must be packed in stainless or plastic drums. Guarantee to pay above most bulk buyers. Give me a call to discuss 814-521-5961.

Sugarmaker
03-12-2016, 08:07 AM
Matt,
Great numbers for a not so good season!
Hope things are good with you and your family as you wrap up the season!
Regards,
Chris

unc23win
03-12-2016, 09:42 AM
Running pretty good here right now. My dad said it went down to 23.

unc23win
03-15-2016, 08:25 AM
What was that saying brick by brick or something like that.

Made syrup the last 3 nights no huge amounts but it's very good tasting Dark Robust sugar has stayed put and the sap is still clear. Calling for 2 days 50 and rainy and then freezing nights for a week and maybe a day or so it doesn't get above freezing.