PDA

View Full Version : 12V Shurflo - What is the best way to power it (and other questions!)

BlueberryHill
01-04-2016, 07:02 PM
I have set up a 3/4" mainline that is 500 feet long and I hope to be able to get 100 taps running into it. The Shurflo 2088 12V pump will be only about 90 feet from a 115 outlet on my house. I have seen people mentioning that they have used computer power supplies to go from 115v to 12v and I have also seen others that have used battery chargers. I have both on hand. Is one better than the other? If I use a battery charger, is there an advantage to tying in a 12V car battery into the setup?

And since I am asking questions... here is another.... I have 100+ taps (4 separate lines) on 3/16 gravity in a location where I cannot get 115v power to. I love the 3/16! I have a 25' drop right at the end so it is pretty ideal. But I was wondering if anyone has tried putting a shurflow on the end of a setup like this? Would it get me enough extra sap to make it worth buying a pump and battery for $200+ total?

Lastly.... a 3rd location. Also too remote for power. Not enough slope for 3/16 to help a whole lot. Just a gradual slope gaining about 20 feet in elevation over maybe 200 feet. Not a place where I can do a mainline (I don't want to have to take it down every year) but there are up to 100 taps here and decent sugars. I could drop a tank and mount a Shurflow & battery on top of the tank. But I don't know the optimum way to set up the tubing. How many "laterals" or how many taps per lateral. Right now I am considering attaching a 1-2 foot section of 3/4" main to the mini-shelter that I will have the pump under. Then on that small section of mainline I can mound a double fork or two and my laterals can run off of those giving me 4-8 laterals at 25 or 12 tape per lateral. This plan is just based on a bunch of assumptions though!! Curious to know what you guys would do in this situation.

softmaple
01-04-2016, 07:57 PM
look into a lunchbox releaser. it runs on air and all you have to do is run a 5/16 maple line for an air tube. and keep the air compresser at your power spot

BlueberryHill
01-04-2016, 09:11 PM
I read up on the lunch box and it looks good. My compressor is a huge POS and I have been meaning to get a serviceable one for years so this would be a good excuse to do that. Does anyone know the pros/cons of the lunchbox vs the shurflo? From what I have read, 100 taps on a low slope 1/2" mainline might be pushing the limit for the lunchbox. But would that also be the case for the shurflo too? Not sure of all the pros/cons of each and would appreciate any input from someone that has experience.

BlueberryHill
01-05-2016, 11:17 AM
Has anyone added a lunchbox to the end of a 3/16 gravity line? I'm curious to know if it would be worth doing or not. Would there be an added benefit to this if you already have the slope and the natural vac? I plan to get 1-2 to experiment with anyway, but anyone who wants to share their experiences (do's and dont's) it would be great. I have a few spots in mind to do some different experiements. I'm getting all excited for sap! I need to take a breath or I will end up tapping too early, haha.

morningstarfarm
01-05-2016, 11:38 AM
hey brother, congorats on the expansion...400??? you are gonna have some long nights ahead of you..let me know if you need anything...good luck and may the sap gods smile on you...

BlueberryHill
01-05-2016, 12:04 PM
Thanks Chris. Hope you get flooded down there too! I'm hoping that my new rig will help with the long nights. I should be able to boil 4X faster than last year once I get everything buttoned up here. Too much sap is not a bad problem to have though and I know what to do with it. If you are up in the Raymond area some time you should give me a ring. Got a plan yet on when you drill hole #1 of 5000? :cool: