PDA

View Full Version : Feed tank

Forrest hunters
01-03-2016, 05:06 PM
I have always used a pump to feed my float box but this year I am moving indoors and thinking about a head/feed tank. What are people using to keep the head tanks full all the time. Anyone using an off the shelf float valve? If so what size? I am on a Smoky Lake 2x6 which averaged 50gph outside last year with no hood or preheater and outside. This year I have a hood and preheater on order and will be inside so thinking I need something to fill the head tank in 70-80 gph. If not a float valve what are you using? I would really like to not have to worry too much about it like a pump in storage drums and then pump to the head tank with the float valve.

Woody77
01-03-2016, 05:18 PM
Hey I have a simple sump pump setupwith the float in the head tank wired opposite high level off low on completely jerry riged but works.
On a nother noat I want a set of smokey lake pans have ben shoping for 4 years is his stuff that much better.I have yet to see one boil

wishlist
01-03-2016, 05:33 PM
I use my ro to fill the head tank Forrest , I guess if my Lapierre 2x6 averaged 50 gph I would need a bigger ro.
Woody, I'm just east of Elsie about 30 minutes. Your welcome to take a look at my Shoemaker hood.

Forrest hunters
01-03-2016, 05:47 PM
Woody, can you take a pic of what you have (I know it is out of season). I don't understand how you are set up.

I have only boiled on a half pint then a Smoky Lake full punt before I bought this 2x6 from Jim. I averaged 50 gph last year and tgat is with start up and shut down. He has another gentleman just north of him that was doing about 80 with hood and pre heater. I have that on order now with some other cool equipment that is idea of mine but Jim put it to paper and is building it. I can't discuss that just yet but should help with safety and possibly improve evaporation even more. More than welcome to come see my stuff anytime you want this coming season. I'm 15 minutes north of Grand Rapids.

maple flats
01-03-2016, 07:36 PM
I just have my head tank valve end butted against a 10" sq. cutout in the sugarhouse wall. Then it goes thru a T with the one side facing up and I use clear vinyl tubing for a site gauge. My head tank holds 200 gal and I boil about 75-80 gal/hr +/-. I only have 2 marks on my site tube, 1 at 40 gal which is for refill and one at 30 gal wich means stop fueling if I have not more sap. In use I run mu tank up to about 150 gal of 8% concentrate and then I recirculate and raise the % while I boil. As it nears the add mark, I stop recirculating and go back to concentrating sap, if I'm lower that that, I back off the RO pressure a little for a few minutes which lowers the concentration% butgives me a faster flow. After a little while I run the pressure back up and continue.
If you don't have an RO, just get a little food grade pump and pump the sap up as needed.

Woody77
01-03-2016, 08:02 PM
Sorry the sugar bush is currently in fabrication mode everything is scattered from one end of dads barn to the other awaiting a cement floor probably won't run this year or just enough to wet my waffel.lol the first way I did this float was use the sump pump float that is on the cord the adjustable kind that the pump actualy plugs into. Fold the cord over and zip tie it back to the float so the cord appears to come out of the opposite end .it worked great till the mice made a nest I'm the box and ate the cord .will likely go back to this setup with the new sugarbush. Just don't run out the lower container while your sleeping next to the evaporator on a 40 hr cook you'll cook the pump. Oops.