PDA

View Full Version : Making PVC Bag holders.

epd0407
01-03-2016, 09:24 AM
Ive got to make up 60 or so PVC bag holders. Grabbed a hole saw for PVC but the thing makes a darn mess with PVC shavings while cutting the 1 5/8 hole that then need to be sanded and cleaned up. Have any of you found a "cleaner" hole maker for this task? Having to sand down 60 of these is just time I dont have.

mudr
01-03-2016, 10:05 AM
I made some last year, yup messy. I did it in the driveway for that reason. If I make more in the future, I think I'd like to use a Dremel type tool. I could make more "oval" or notched openings then too. I think that would be a better way anyway. I think I did 1.5 inch holes on mine so the taps I had fit. That was a big hole and they were not the most secure. I didn't have a real problem with them falling off, maybe a couple. But I was a tad worried.

Dave Nielsen
01-07-2016, 01:16 PM
A step bit works well for making the keyhole shaped holes. You drill all the way in for the large part of the opening, then move over and drill partially in to get the smaller diameter portion. I tried a hole saw, regular drill bits and a dremel type tool and wasn't happy with the results. The step bit cuts a nice clean hole and you can do multiple diameters with out changing bits.

brikel
01-07-2016, 02:23 PM
I used a sharp 7/8 foster bit to do this last year. It did make a mess but it gave me a good clean hole. Im using 5/16 plastic taps and the 7/8 hole worked well for sliding over the tap.