PDA

View Full Version : Michigan Newbie

odave
01-02-2016, 08:55 PM
Hey all, here's another new user introduction from Southeast Michigan. I got into sugaring by accident. We have a sugar maple in our front yard that had some storm damage last March. I pruned the broken branch and noticed the sawed off end had a constant flow of sap. My wife thought it was a shame to have it just dripping on the ground so she had our youngest daughter go out with a bucket and catch some, figuring we might be able to do something with it ;) It was at the end of the season so we only got 3.5 gallons which I sloooowly boiled off in a pot on a Coleman camp stove. We got a whopping 10 oz of syrup but it was enough to get us hooked.

I'm strictly a backyard hobbyist for now and am glad I found this forum and all the great info. We have seven maples in our suburban yard - one Sugar, one Red, two Silvers, and three Norways of varying sizes which should give me 11 taps, with our neighbors offering up their trees for a few more. The stove has been retired in favor of a cinder block arch built around our backyard camp fire pit. I ran a test boil with water in hotel pans last fall and it should go a lot faster. Can't wait for spring to come!

ericjeeper
01-02-2016, 10:05 PM
Have fun. This is how many of us here started.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

maplerookie
01-23-2016, 07:16 AM
It will go a lot faster..but soon youll be wanting it to go even faster.. just have fun with it

David in MI
01-23-2016, 12:17 PM
Welcome to the forum. I'm actually not too far from you (Ortonville). It's a great hobby; lots of great people here.

Rachel N Wineman
01-28-2016, 10:17 AM
Hello from another Michigan city slicker. I tapped my street trees and a neighbor's tree. I have my eyes on some more in the neighborhood. I am also lucky to have family in the country, and I get sap from them too.

How many GPH did you get from your cinder block arch, with the water? Do you have any issues with neighbors or ordinance having a wood fire?

Run Forest Run!
01-28-2016, 10:22 AM
What a great story. Welcome to the group. You and your family are in for a real treat this spring. Have fun and make sure to keep us all posted about your adventures in sugaring!!!!

Lethalbowman
01-28-2016, 10:50 AM
Welcome to the wonderful world of Maple syrup. Be prepared to gain a wealth of info from this site that will have you improving on your setup every year.

odave
01-28-2016, 10:56 AM
Thanks, everyone. My kids are asking me every day if the weather is right for tapping - they are as antsy to get started as I am!

Snappyssweets
01-31-2016, 09:44 AM
Welcome aboard.
I was new last year. Everyone here is awesome. From advice to encouragement and even better they are all maple nuts too.
Up here in Central Michigan myself. I put taps out yesterday due to forecast short and long term. Checked this morning first draw will be tonight.
Just remember have fun.

Cedar Eater
02-04-2016, 10:43 PM
Welcome, odave. I'm from a quite a bit further up US 23. Last year was my first year. It looks like we might be tapping sooner this year. Check out the Michigan tapping reports forum here.