PDA

View Full Version : Anyone doing maple syrup in southern CT

Samuelvw1
01-02-2016, 08:20 PM
Hey I'm located in Shelton, CT anyone making maple syrup in or near Shelton this is my second year and I am tapping more trees than last

https://www.facebook.com/SamandSons2/

Sam
50 taps
Smoky maple flat pan
Leader eveperator filter/bottler with automatic fill valve

Helicopter Seeds
01-06-2016, 11:03 PM
I'm in Shelton as well, 3rd year at it. yup wife thinks I am nuts, but likes the idea that we gave all in-laws, all her nieces and nephews, a bottle.
I have a neighbor down the road also making some.

Agent914
01-07-2016, 10:37 AM
I live in Middlebury been syruping for 8 years with 30-40 taps execpting last year's to snow & family issues...getting geared up for this year.

lafite
01-08-2016, 02:14 PM
Cheshire. I skipped last year as well. Almost ready for the 2016 season since I only have a gallon left from 2014!

valleyman
01-11-2016, 12:03 PM
I'm in Shelton as well, 3rd year at it. yup wife thinks I am nuts, but likes the idea that we gave all in-laws, all her nieces and nephews, a bottle.
I have a neighbor down the road also making some.
Hi Heli- I'm in Ansonia with a wife and kids that are convinced I'm nuts too!

wkies
01-13-2016, 10:50 AM
In Stamford. As usual, I will be ready to tap on February 1 and wait to for a good stretch of weather. Good luck to everyone.

scottdevine
01-17-2016, 06:15 PM
I'm in Oxford, and this is my first year. I have been texting Sam daily (whom i met on here) from Shelton, CT, and would like to chat with others around my town my number is 203-217-1030. Pretty sure i have taken crazy and nuts to a new level. I have built an evaporator, and pieced together a pallet shack. I begin this journey just after Thanksgiving. The weather has cooperated allowing me to work most nights until after 10pm...wife is definitely in the "you are nuts" category. I am beyond excited to get started with this new hobby. Mapletrader.com has been a huge asset for me, and i thank the entire community for what i have learned thus far, and all that is to come. Today was my first complete test boil of the entire setup i plan on running, (4 pots on an open fire and at least 2 pans on the evap. I haven't worked out all the details yet of finishing down, but today i learned a lot with the water test. 1248212483124841248512486

jamesd14
01-17-2016, 07:51 PM
This is killing me, I am in ledyard CT which is southeastern part and my second year. Last year I tapped on March 4th as it was pretty cut and dry of when to tap, this year I have no idea yet. We only had a couple days so far that it has been below freezing during the day. I did take some of my syrup from last season today and make some maple cream for the first time. I had 10 taps last year and almost 3.5 gallons of syrup I made on homemade cinder block evaporator with hotel pans. This year I have a 2x3 I bought from mason and should have around 40 or so taps. Very addicting.

jamesd14
01-17-2016, 07:52 PM
Oh I love the great use of pallets, awesome idea.

51 cub
01-18-2016, 06:18 PM
Well, I'm sure enough around your town. I go by every day between work and home. Send me a pm or email sometime, I'll get you my cell phone number to text. I don't know it well enough myself to reel it off. Sometime when you have 2 minutes, I can tell you everything I know

lakeview maple
01-18-2016, 06:49 PM
Scott , that is so awesome, Be careful tho you don't set the floor on fire. It is great to see others get excited about making syrup like I do. Hope you have a great season, Allen

scottdevine
01-18-2016, 09:31 PM
hahahhaah...yes, that was a concern, i was also able to get a lot of scrap duct work off of a construction site, and tore it all down to make the steam hood, and also cut it into sheets and lined the floor under the barrel evaporator, and up the wall behind the smoke stack. I did a complete test run this weekend, and singed the roof slightly, so some modifications need to be done this week, and a little more metal will go on the walls. It got really warm in there during the 20 minute test, so this weekend (regardless of snow), will be test #2. Here are photos of some of my "handy" work...don't care how it looks, i am an "indoorsman" having a blast with this outside work! Working on flashing the steam stacks this week and widening and better insulating the smoke exhaust.

jamesd14
01-25-2016, 05:58 PM
That is really nice. Anyone put any taps in yet. I have the itch the weather seams perfect just not sure.

jamesd14
01-30-2016, 08:33 PM
Put in 22 taps yesterday afternoon in ledyard and got 18 gallons sap yesterday and 24 gallons today, I will have evaporator up and running tomorrow, only got stove pipe to install, once I have boiling I will do about 18 more taps. Most of my 1 gallon sap jugs were overflowing tonight because I was gone all day today, my sap bags had almost 2 gallons in each. The few red maples I tapped only had about 1/4 gallon in each jug. Sugar maples were going crazy.