PDA

View Full Version : Finishing from the evaporator?

Dropflue
03-01-2004, 11:46 AM
Has any one out there had any success with drawing off density syrup right from the evaporator? I was drawing off syrup by hot testing with the hydrometer, however my thermometer on the evaporator was reading 9 degrees above boiling water (Thermometer was calibtated to that days temp of boiling water). When I checked the density of syrup after it cooled down, the syrup density was too high. The next day I drew off syrup by temp only from the evaporator (7-7.5 degrees above boiling water), but that syrup was too thin. I do have a finishing unit setup but would like to draw off finished syrup from the evaporator. Some producers have Marcland automatic drawoffs which open by temperature. Are they producing finished syrup??

Any comments??

Dropflue
1 D&G 2x6 dropflue
3 gas nozzles
1 gas well
And a whole bunch of BTUs

backyardsugarer
03-01-2004, 12:50 PM
I had the same problem yesturday. One of the problems with my D&G is that for an accurate reading the therm has to be in the syrup 3 1/2 inches. I am now running my pan at about 1 1/2 inches so the therm is not in deep enough.

They sell finishing rigs for a reason. It must be hard for everyone to finish in the evap.

Chris

Salmoneye
03-01-2004, 02:21 PM
I draw off finished all the time...

Combination of a 3 compartment sideways pan and drawing off on the hottest part of the fire, a big dial thermometer right by the spigot, a good hydrometer, and the old 'sheeting' test...I have only had one thin batch and one batch that crystalized out in the last two years...

wdchuck
03-01-2004, 06:58 PM
We draw off straight from the evaporator and have never had a finishing rig. We use a scoop and a dial thermometer and will occassionnally test with a hydrotherm just to check up on ourselves. My father is such an old hand at this that he can tell you how thick the batch is within a tenth of a point using only the scoop! Sounds crazy, I know, but it can be done-he'd be happy to demo.

Dropflue
03-01-2004, 10:10 PM
Had success tonight drawing off from the evaporator using temp and hydrometer. The syrup cooking tonight in the last section of the syrup pan looked like should when nearing density ( fine bubbles). Yesterdays syrup did not look like that, but the temp read 7 degrees above boiling water. I can't explain the difference from yesterday to today.
Aliens??

Thanks for the comments
Dropflue
2x6 D&G dropflue

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-01-2004, 10:28 PM
I have tried different ways and have found it easier for me to draw it off at 5 to 8 degrees and run it through the filter in the gas finisher and bottler. Sure is less aggrevation for me to do it that way, but to each his own.

That is one of the things that makes this industry so interesting is everyone has a different ways of doing things and no one way is the perfect way in anything. :D :D

Salmoneye
03-02-2004, 05:25 AM
Hey wdchuck!

When I said the old 'sheeting test' in my first post in the thread, what you refere to as you Dad ising the 'sccop' is exactly what I was talking about...Amazing the number of people that have never seen it done let alone know how to do it...Most days I trust it more than my hydrometer or thermometer...It seems to 'self adjust' to the weather and the others you have to make allowances for...It is an amazing thing to watch a Master Maple Sugarer at work...A lost art to most people with all the new 'gadgets'...I only know one other person around here that can do it and we grew up together and learned from the same old man...I never even saw a 'finishing rig' till I was in my teens in the 70's...All that shiney stainless and cast iron gas jets...WHoooWee...That was some impressive... :wink:

syrupmaker
03-02-2004, 07:01 AM
Dropflue.... over here in Eden on Saturday we were drawing off at 7 degrees all day. Sunday, barometric pressure changed later in the day and we were making syrup at 11 degrees. Monday when we boiled if we had not recalibrated the thermometer, it would have read 9-10 for syrup.Nothing wrong with double checking draws with a hydrometer either.

Salmoneye talks about the sheet test.I have seen it but have yet to perfect it. Dad laughs, both my brother and I can tell from the sound of the syrup landing in the draw of pitcher when its not syrup anymore.

Rick

wdchuck
03-02-2004, 07:13 PM
Now you guys are getting me primed! I'm not as good with the scoop as my father, so I rely a bit more on the thermometer than he does, but it really does take all your senses. I find myself listening to the sound of the syrup coming off into the bucket and adding a bit of the thinner stuff if the temp has gone too high during drawoff.

wdchuck
03-03-2004, 06:02 AM
Right, but the law doesn't say that you have to use it at drawoff, only that a hydrometer is the final standard in what is legal syrup. How you get to that point is up to your preference!