PDA

View Full Version : What's a tank worth?

DocsMapleSyrup
12-31-2015, 10:22 PM
I met a guy tonight that bought a 300 gallon stainless tank on wheels with cover and valves used previously for hauling sap. Would pull behind a four wheeler. I haven't seen it but he said that he wanted $300 for it. I have not looked at sap hauling equipment yet. Any thoughts about the price assuming it is in very good condition?

unc23win
12-31-2015, 10:25 PM
The going rate for stainless is about $1.50 a gallon.

lpakiz
01-01-2016, 01:01 AM
I paid a $1 a gallon for several tanks, but that was before scrap prices went down so bad.
I suspect you could (should) get it for $1 or less these days.

markcasper
01-01-2016, 02:21 AM
I am assuming it has a tounge/hitch and not just wheels. Basically tank and trailer? To me that would be a good price, but your not pulling that through most woodlots in the spring IMO.

jcb
01-01-2016, 04:30 AM
I am assuming it has a tounge/hitch and not just wheels. Basically tank and trailer? To me that would be a good price, but your not pulling that through most woodlots in the spring IMO.

I agree with this, good price but that is a lot of weight for a wheeler

BreezyHill
01-01-2016, 07:01 AM
I paid a $1 a gallon for several tanks, but that was before scrap prices went down so bad.
I suspect you could (should) get it for $1 or less these days.

$1/ gallon at current market of scrap for tank on a trailer is fair. When stainless scrape was $0.85/# $1.50 was a great price but at $0.33 not so good for the buyer.

You can retrofit the trailer with dual floatation tires and make it anywhere the wheeler will to. Saw a video of the Alaska cattle rancher that is on Discover channel...he hauled a 800# round bale thru mud with a wheeler that had 3 car tires per side on the trailer. Just keep the weight low and be able to stop and you
should be fine.

n8hutch
01-01-2016, 07:19 AM
Personally I wouldn't want to haul 2500 plus pounds behind an atv, that's most likely more than double the rated load for an atv, you might get away with it with a utv.

Not sure how safe it would be if you only filled it half full and traveled on mostly flat ground. I'm guessing there's no baffling in the tank.

However that is a fair price IMO

maple flats
01-01-2016, 08:32 AM
never haul more with an ATV or any vehicle that that vehicle can control and stop. In syrup season, you have loads of mud to contend with so beware. A 300 gal sap load is near 2500# and very hard to stop, a 150 gal load in an unbaffled 300 gal tank can be harder to stop. That Alaskan Cattle rancher does loads of really foolish things which many I feel are for the "reality cameras".

PerryFamily
01-01-2016, 08:35 AM
I had a 125 poly tank on a 5x8 trailer I built years ago behind my wheeler. It was all it wanted and I was on a town dirt road. Now behind like a ranger or tractor I wouldn't think it should be a problem

BreezyHill
01-01-2016, 08:49 AM
Just because you have 300 gallon capacity does not mean you have to use it all. The operator will need to decide what is a safe load for his/her conditions on a given day and the route that is to be traveled. We have used a artic cat 650 to move full hay wagons weighing in at 8000# plus on flat dry ground. But it cantmove the same wagon empty in an inch of mud...one needs to exercise common séance in equipment usage.

unc23win
01-01-2016, 07:20 PM
Leave it up to the original poster what he should or should not haul he asked about the price.

markcasper
01-01-2016, 08:34 PM
We have used a artic cat 650 to move full hay wagons weighing in at 8000# plus on flat dry ground. .

Just have to call BS when I see it! I have a 700 and its not moving a full hay rack from a dead stop! The level of BS is off the charts!

markcasper
01-01-2016, 08:39 PM
Leave it up to the original poster what he should or should not haul he asked about the price.

That is fine! If your not going to be able to pull it, and the user thinks he is going to and then can't, it suddenly isn't worth as much in $$$$ IMO. And that is why I brought it up. Trying to pull a 300 gallon tank and wagon with a 4 wheeler isn't going to happen for a majority of the season weather you like it or not. Just trying to help stave off a disaster ahead of time or have a plan B ready.

PerryFamily
01-01-2016, 09:35 PM
I'd say if it fits your needs then the price sounds good. Good luck with it, can't go wrong with stainless!

BreezyHill
01-01-2016, 09:45 PM
Hahaha. I will get you a video of it this summer. We use that machine to move all kinds of equipment in and out of the indoor.

n8hutch
01-02-2016, 09:36 AM
You folks are awfully excitable, you need to relax a little.

To the OP, good luck with your Sugaring season. May it be safe and enjoyable as making syrup should be.

This Forum ought to be a fun place to learn and share information, it shouldn't be a place to force anyone's own agendas or boost egos. Lately this place is a little touch and go. Remember you are supposed to be on here to share info. Not create tension and discontent.

BAP
01-02-2016, 10:21 AM
You folks are awfully excitable, you need to relax a little.

To the OP, good luck with your Sugaring season. May it be safe and enjoyable as making syrup should be.

This Forum ought to be a fun place to learn and share information, it shouldn't be a place to force anyone's own agendas or boost egos. Lately this place is a little touch and go. Remember you are supposed to be on here to share info. Not create tension and discontent.
Well said Nate!! The only thing I would add is that most of the posts were not related to the question the OP asked, which has happened a lot lately instead of staying on track with the original questions.
To the OP, rule of thumb stainless steel tanks has been at least $1 per gallon to $1.50 per gallon.

lpakiz
01-02-2016, 06:36 PM
The OP did voluntarily state that he intended to pull it with a wheeler, so I feel that Marks caution was legitimate.
IIRC, Mark got pushed down a hill by a tank behind a tractor, and felt lucky not to be injured or killed.
But yes, OP only sought opinions on cost of tank, not suitability.