PDA

View Full Version : Just Joined!

Zacho
12-24-2015, 09:21 AM
Good morning! I was just accepted onto the site.

I have been sugaring for 2 years and have really caught the bug and am looking to upgrade from my homemade 55 gallon drum and pan. We started with 50 taps the 1st year, had 120 last year and are looking at 250 taps for the upcoming year. We hope to keep increasing the number each year. We made just over 10 gallons last year and just didn't have enough boiling power to use all our sap.

We are looking for advice/experience with the different evaporator manufactures. I have seen CDL and Leader but am looking for your input.

Thank you for any and all advice!!!

Brett

tuckermtn
12-24-2015, 11:18 AM
seeing you are from WI, definetly check out Smoky Lake maple.

https://www.smokylakemaple.com

Zucker Lager
12-24-2015, 11:51 AM
Hey Zacho:
Welcome! We are in Sugar Camp Wisconsin. Just a tiny hobby operation but we love it. Check out the town of Phelps chamber of commerce for the Phelps Maple Fest info. Its fun stuff. Smokey Lake usually has a really nice display there. And they sell their display items discounted. Good pancake breakfast and free tours of about 5 sugar bushes, from small hobby to large commercial operations. Maybe we'll see ya there? Jay

MISugarDaddy
12-24-2015, 12:44 PM
You definitely need to contact Jim at Smoky Lake since you are in Wisconsin. I just picked up a hood and preheater last weekend from Jim and will tell you that you won't find any manufacturer that builds a nicer arches, pans, and hoods. He explained that he has several pans already built for people who might want them for this upcoming season, so you could have one in place for next spring even though it is generally too late at this time to get a setup from companies like Leader and CDL.
Gary

littleTapper
12-24-2015, 07:43 PM
Hi Brett! Welcome from another Wisconsinite. I grew up just to the south of you on a farm near Taylor, if you've heard of it. Wish I was closer to the farm and could tap the huge amounts of maples there....but I'm not.

Anyways, yes, contact Smoky Lake. Just got a pan from them. Exceptional product and people.

Hope your upcoming season is great!

esetter
12-25-2015, 07:58 AM
Welcome , I just joined myself. Everybody has been free with their knowledge and very friendly. Wisconsin is beautiful , we drive through there on our way to North Dakota hunting. Best fall color anywhere I've been!