PDA

View Full Version : lets here some fun stories about being a sugermaker

WESTMAPLES
12-22-2015, 09:09 AM
i love making syrup and good production where are the rest of the fun loving sugarmakers ...... that do the same and the money is just a pat on the back when the syrup sold to smiling face people who love the art of it ( and the smell and taste of REAL syrup ) let here some sugar house stories guys and gals

tcross
12-22-2015, 09:43 AM
i'll bite. one day last year I had about 6-8 people in the sugar house, coming and going. the sap was running really well and the tanks were filling up. I was in the middle of boiling and shooting the sh*t with some buddies and noticed I needed to pump my sap up to the holding tank upstairs... so I tell my buddy to hit the switch on the wall to start the pump. he did, and all was good. another beer goes down, and we start talking about hunting. if you knew me, hunting is more of a passion of mine than sugaring is. So I start telling a "hunting" story, when I realize I'm getting really wet... and it's not from the steam! I look up just in time to see gallons of gallons of sap pour down on my head... and the guests! "guess I should probably shut the pump off hu, Trav" my friend says. Ah... yeah! I can't recall how much sap I lost, but I do know my guests got quite the chuckle out of it! sad thing is, it wasn't the first time I've done it. My wife says I try to do too much at the same time... guess she was right that time!

WESTMAPLES
12-22-2015, 10:21 AM
yeah about the same happened to one of my buddies that was helping me. i backed in with a fresh load of sap on a freezing cold night last season and setup my gas pump to send it up to the head tank, my bud was like `all i have to do is start the pump right??` i said go ahead he pulled it and seconds later the pump hit full prime and blew the fitting off the head tank line (frozen line) . his first instinct was to cover the gushing pump hose ( we all know the finger over the hose end spraying trick) with his hand i heard him yelling , i ran over and shut the pump off and he said `my girlfriend always wanted me to be alittle sweeter ....` , i replied ` i could have got you some powdered sugar to put on yourself, that way you wouldn`t freeze to death before you made it home to her lol ....` . he went a changed his clothes, i thawed the line and reclamped the fitting, pumped up the sap and we had the story to tell that night while friends and family standing around the evap.