PDA

View Full Version : Boiling in Pole Barn

Big Stoney
12-20-2015, 06:54 PM
We are not going to have a sugar shack built for this year. We are going to have to try to cope with our pole barn. I do not want to cut a hole in the roof for a stack. We were going to try to run the 10" stack pipe up the inside about 3 feet away from the wall and then use two 45 elbows to vent it out the side of the barn. We will either need to take off a piece of metal siding or cut off some of the top of the sheet to vent the pipe. I have some 14" galvanized pipe that we used for the stack last year. Could I run the 10" stack through the 14" stack when I take it through the wall? I do have a lot of ceramic blanket that I might be able to put between the two pipes. Would this be enough protection for any nearby wood? We may have some steam issues, but there is a large door and many places where air can come in around the bottom of the building.

Any advice to limit our frustration with the steam?

fishman
12-21-2015, 08:37 AM
Mine is in a small pole barn too. In the panel where the stack goes thru I actually used 2 pieces overlapped. When maple season comes I take off the part of roof panel and put in one with the hole for the stack. Its only used that way for 3-340# weeks then I put the other panel back on. Not perfect but cheap, only takes a few minutes. I put a large fan near ceiling to vent steam and it works pretty well. I get a little condensation at peak boil but not enough to drip.

Big Stoney
12-22-2015, 10:07 AM
I think that I may have found enough information in an old thread on insulation as to not burn the barn down. I like your idea with the removable roof panel, but I think that we will be going out the side. The pole barn is 36x48 and 12 feet high with a 5-12 pitch. There is just metal on purlins for the roof. I will try a couple of layers of pipe with airspace and try to keep it away from any wood. I do have quite a bit of ceramic blanket that I could cover some of the wood. I read that ceramic blanket on the pipe would shorten the life of the pipe. Will I need to have as much insulation for the pipe once outside and running up along the metal building?

WESTMAPLES
12-22-2015, 10:34 AM
my 10in stack runs between my rafters about 6feet above the arch, with 4 inches on one side of the pipe and 5 inches on the other then thru the steel roof with no roof jack or anything. i have run the evap full bore for 2 seasons that way and its had no effect of the wood. and in the offseason i pull the stacks out and cover the holes. its not completely proper but it works without worry.