PDA

View Full Version : Taste like chocolate tootsie roll sucker

ericjeeper
12-20-2015, 07:36 AM
Ok I recently tasted some syrup that a friend had purchased. Has zero maple taste.. I swear you would think it is Tootsie Roll chocolate sucker.. Any ideas on what caused this failure?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Sugarmaker
12-20-2015, 07:40 AM
Humm? interesting! Very interesting. Maybe they are tapping coca trees?
Is there a name on the jug? State law around these parts say you have to be able to contact the producer. Might be the next step? Assuming he wanted maple flavor. Which is what we are supposed to be selling!
Regards,
Chris

jmayerl
12-20-2015, 08:31 AM
Metabolism is sometimes described as a chocolate flavor

ericjeeper
12-20-2015, 09:39 AM
The name on the jug,bought this in bulk and redistributed. But what caused the off flavor?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

DrTimPerkins
12-21-2015, 07:27 AM
It could be caused by several things. In order, I would suspect:

- metabolism (especially if it is fairly light syrup)
- very slight bud (especially if it is fairly dark syrup)
- late-season air injected syrup
- off-flavor caused by storage container
- something else

Find someone near you who is really good at determining flavor/off-flavor issues (maybe someone who buys a lot of syrup or who has gone to the IMSI Grading School). If all else fails, send some to me and we'll give it a taste. Any other info you have on the syrup might be helpful as well.

johnallin
11-09-2019, 08:37 PM
It could be caused by several things. In order, I would suspect:

- metabolism (especially if it is fairly light syrup)
- very slight bud (especially if it is fairly dark syrup)
- late-season air injected syrup
- off-flavor caused by storage container
- something else......

I also had some syrup this year that had a funny tootsie roll taste and smell. It is light and it is air injected.

DR. Tim, you list "late-season air injected" as possibility #3. Can you tell me(us) how air injection could affect taste in that way? Thank you.

Russell Lampron
11-10-2019, 05:30 AM
I've been using an air injector for 6 seasons and this year for the first time I got an off flavor in the second to last boil. I blamed it on metabolism. I had an unusually large amount of nitre this year too.

eagle lake sugar
11-11-2019, 07:09 AM
Our end of the season is late April when we start to detect the metabolic chocolate taste in the syrup. We're so far removed from anyone who buys commercial syrup that it's not cost effective to continue at that point.