PDA

View Full Version : Smokey lake pans vs leader

Kh7722
12-19-2015, 01:31 PM
Hey All
I'm looking into purchasing a 2x8 oil arch in the spring from leader (best price was leader). Question is which pans if they were exact same price between smokey lake and leader which one would you chose and why? Who has best features, service, durability over time etc.
Thanks

derekp
12-19-2015, 04:50 PM
Smoky Lake...For me, being able to call and talk to the person who makes the pans means a lot. I had a ton of questions about what would be right for my operation and Jim took the time to explain everything to me and the differences between options. The quality of his products can't be matched either..

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk

MISugarDaddy
12-21-2015, 06:27 AM
Another thing to think about is that when you buy pans from Smoky Lake, it will cost you less for a hood for them than if you buy Leader pans and have Jim make a hood for your Leader pans because then you are having to have custom hoods built. Saturday we picked up our hood and preheater for our 2' by 6' Revolution pans and are very happy with the craftsmanship that Jim and his team put into their work. Can't wait to put it to use this next spring. If we had it to do over, we would have purchased both the pans and the hood (and the arch) from Jim.
Gary

Pete S
12-21-2015, 11:22 AM
Bought a rig from Smokey Lake just before last season. We opted for the "Badgerland" which isn't top shelf, but it's a work of art. Jim has a wonderful staff that has crazy welding/fab skills. They were able to tweek a few things for me to customize our rig just a bit,............... NO questions asked.

You can stop at his shop and shake his hand. I realize he's just about 45 minutes from me, but I wouldn't consider going anywhere else.

n8hutch
12-21-2015, 12:54 PM
Does Smoky Lake build oil rigs? Leader certainly would have built many more oil fired evaporators. As far as the pans go & customer service I would say it is Hard to beat Smoky lake..
Are you concentrating? Burning oil on raw sap would give me heartburn just thinking about it.

Kh7722
12-21-2015, 03:33 PM
I don't think he makes oil rigs, I got a quote from him last year on a wood arch, but want oil. I'm thinking leader arch because like said they have built tons of them and have it down. I have heard of others trying to make oil and have not had the best luck, not saying that jim could not make a sweet arch, but leaders price was not too bad. As far as pans go its 95% with smokey lake, because like said I can call him and actually talk to the maker, plus his work looks awesome