PDA

View Full Version : Cam Locks to pump sap from totes

Big Stoney
12-17-2015, 07:37 AM
We are joining two totes together for collection of our sap. I was going to put a T in the middle of the connection and use a cam lock system to pump out the two tanks. Do you attach the part with the clamps on the T and the other part on the pump? I am a little concerned about freezing, but was guessing that I could still pump out from the top of the tank if need be. I am getting old with two hips replaced so getting up and down on the wagon and moving hoses is not as easy as it used to be.

RC Maple
12-17-2015, 07:49 AM
Not exactly sure what you mean but I would have a male fitting coming off of the T and one also on the intake side of your pump. The hose between them then would have two female ends.

Zucker Lager
12-17-2015, 09:10 AM
The old time pipefitters had a rule to always run the flow of the product from the male end of a connector or union to the female. As an apprentice you didn't ask too many questions you just did what you were told. I think that the only real reason was so that in the future you could look at the setup and know immediately the direction of flow. Otherwise I've never run into a problem going the other way if I felt I needed to. Flow restriction is the same both ways. Jay

BreezyHill
12-17-2015, 03:49 PM
The location of your female end with the levers is where it is less likely to get banged into. On our pump truck the male ends are on the inlets of the truck and the hoses have a female and male on each end of the hose. I have two hoses that are double female ends on the hose and two that are mare/female. I would put a male on the tank Tee so it can be capped and kept clean during off season. Capped ends will stay cleaner than plugged endings. Plugs in a female end will get debris into the edge.

For free discharge into a tank you will want a male end so there is no spray as would be the case with a female end. A double male end is handy to have as is a double female. You can have them connected with a valve to close the hose off and keep liquid in it to facilitate a quicker prime on the pump.

Ben