PDA

View Full Version : Frozen Sap

Zamboni Driver
02-25-2007, 04:58 PM
Quick question for those of you professionals.
How long should sap be stored? For instance...I tapped last week in michigan and didn't get very much...not enuf to boil. Any way it's stored in a stainless bulk tank outside. Well it froze through. So how long is it good for? Thanks to all who respond.
Jim

royalmaple
02-25-2007, 05:23 PM
If it is frozen, it isn't going anywhere.

It would have to be warm to spoil.

From one of the non-experts.

Jim Brown
02-25-2007, 07:20 PM
From another non-expert;if it's frozen it might as well still be in the tree.BUT IF IT WARMS UP ALL BETS ARE OFF!!

Sugarmaker
02-25-2007, 07:43 PM
ZD,
(Wonder if sap would make a good ice rink);)

I hate frozen sap especially in buckets.:(
If you can get the concentrated sap out of the center of the ice cube (in the tank) you probably have 4-5-6% sap, and then throw the ice (water) away. Try jamming a rod from the bung of the tank into the ice if it is not totally solid. If its solid you may just have to wait till it thaws. It will keep the next run of sap cool. This frozen sap is fine and will keep till it thaws. Hope you don't have to use the tank drain if it is frozen solid?
((Also Another non expert. Just have dumped a lot of ice over the years.))
I try not to store sap that may freeze at the sugarhouse, I try to get it boiled if possible. Then we can drain it off the evaporator in to some buckets if required.

That is a good question !Thanks for asking, hope we have helped a little?

Regards,
Chris

sugarin4fun
02-26-2007, 06:52 PM
Chris,
You just answered my question about thowing away the top inch or so of frozen (water) from my 5 gal buckets that I use to store my sap in.
Thanks, Greg

Russell Lampron
02-26-2007, 07:10 PM
That is mother natures RO machine.

Russ

MaplePancakeMan
02-27-2007, 08:53 PM
i'm testing the frozen sap thing, i have 5 gallon buckets all which were almost full when they froze, i knocked the tops off and collected 5 gallons of un frozen sap. Barring the fact that a 5 gallon bucket should yeild approx 16 oz syrup i want to see what this sap will give me testing it on the kitchen cause i can't wait

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-04-2007, 04:10 PM
If it's frozen, it won't go bad.

MaplePancakeMan
03-04-2007, 10:18 PM
i tested the frozen sap theory, i had about 4 gallons of condensed maple sap from ice. I got 2 12oz bottles and 5oz left over so 29 oz and i kind of over boiled it but its really thick so its all good. VERY light aswell, almost all gone already used in some granola bars and pancakes and waffles for the niece and nephew. I wish it would freeze all the time i got my piece of rebarb to poke a hole and drain sap cubes.

SapSipper
03-06-2007, 08:57 AM
So if there is a block of ice in a bucket along with a liqued, is everyone saying that the ice is water only and the liqued is at least concentrate?

If I'm understanding this correctly this is great! But it begs the question - I've got many buckets (especially right now) that are all ice...

jwbmaple
03-06-2007, 09:15 AM
How long can sap be stored when it doesn't freeze? For instance, I plan on tapping this friday and the forecast for the following week is high 30's to low 40's for the daytime and high 20's to low 30's for night time. Can i collect sap all week and then boil on the weekend?

tapper
03-06-2007, 09:46 AM
Just think of sap as fresh milk straight from the cow. Without being chilled the two will probably spoil about the same.

Three Saps Sugar Shack
03-18-2007, 05:49 PM
i think sap has a slightly lower freezing point than water... but to answer the question about "throw the ice or not to throw the ice" does anyone have a brix refractometer? and if you do could you please test the unfrozen sap , and the melted ice from atop it , so we all might have some real evidence as to how much sugar is in the ice?

SapSuckers
03-18-2007, 08:01 PM
I find myself tring to save sap from a week and boil on the weekends also. If you are boiling often i have heard that throwing the ice out is a good idea, but also for someone who tries to save sap it will help keep the tank cool during the days. I try to pack snow around my tank on the edge of a field, as well as shield from the sun. You must be very careful when waiting on sap. I have dumped some tanks of bad sap and YUK!!!! Just like bad snot.

I read on another post someone had the idea of putting frozen 2 liter bottles of sap or water into the storage tank. I think this is a great idea and look forward to tring it during our next run. Cant quite afford or have room for a walk in cooler

Dave Puhl
03-18-2007, 08:14 PM
Take your Hydrometer and some ice that has drained the water off and tell us what the results are... 1% on my reds...frozen sap like said before wont go bad....

parsissn
03-18-2007, 08:22 PM
The trees are running now and we are hitting 20's at night. If I get a partial frozen bucket I'll test the ice chunk vs. the liquid sap with my refractometer. I'll post what I find (assuming I actually find some ice!).

Mark

SteveD
03-19-2007, 08:59 PM
I tested some thawed sap ice with my refractometer and got 1.5%. There was only about 1/2 cup of unfrozen sap (concentrate) in the bucket. That tested to be 7.5%. Most of my normal (unfrozen and/or not concentrated) sap readings this year have been between 2 and 3%.

I would assume that if there would have been alot more unfrozen sap in the bucket....it would have tested to be a much lower percentage.
-Steve

Dave Puhl
03-20-2007, 09:41 PM
Ok..but the question is to throw the ice out or not...I have been pitching the big chunks ..but no more...1% is more than 0%...

MaplePancakeMan
03-20-2007, 11:57 PM
I think, if there is just a coating of ice around the outside of the bucket, toss it theres a point when the temps get too cold and even sugar water freezes. I believe that point to be below 10 degrees for an extended period of time. Thus the more ice in the bucket the more likely it is to have a sugar content. The rule of thumb i use is if its less than 2" thick around the outside of the bucket throw it, if more than that collect it and leave the ice in the bucket to keep future sap cold. If its frozen solid, find a way to empty it and let it melt out i use a 55 gallon drum with the top cut off for that and then put a space heater next to it to melt it.

ebourassa
03-21-2007, 08:36 AM
all i know this year i am boiling everything if has 0.5 i am boiling it. I usually wouldnt but the way this year is going i will boil anything right now. but that just my opinion but on a ususal year (which i have yet to see) mpm is right.