PDA

View Full Version : Fire brick question

Windy Acres
12-13-2015, 07:48 AM
Ok guys, this is our first real evaporator, 2x8 raised flue, I'm just wondering if the fire brick job is up to par, I know past the grate is overkill, but sometimes I get a few longer pieces of wood, any suggestions appreciated! 12178

Waynehere
12-13-2015, 07:57 AM
Looks good. Anything you can do to protect the blanket is worth it. I once didn't go all the way up the sides and was careful about loading wood up past that point to avoid hitting the blanket. Well, forgot about the friendlies that like to stop by to help and of course they ALL want to load wood. Which isn't a bad thing. LOL. Well, I couldn't figure out why I had a couple of cherry red spots on the outside of my arch, until we went to startup again the next time, and found the tears from no brick. So I brick every possible spot where wood can get shoved/pushed into the firebox. :) Of course the long pieces have a long reach. :(

Windy Acres
12-13-2015, 09:46 AM
That was kind of what I figured, Ithe couldn't hurt to do a little extra, thanks!

lpakiz
12-13-2015, 10:28 AM
Rubicon,
I think it's perfect. Besides wood and coals that you may shove onto that slope, there will also be ashes that will settle up there, and you will be able to rake/scrape them back down to clean them out.

Chicopee Sap Shack
12-13-2015, 01:59 PM
I would stager the joints in the fire box half a brick on each row to give the brick layer strength

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk