PDA

View Full Version : Flagging tape long term effect

ADK_XJ
12-09-2015, 09:26 PM
Ive worked hard to tag about 85% of our acreage with white and red flagging tape (I'll let you guess which is which) for maples and orange for trees to cut. Anyone ever experience negative effects to the trees from leaving this tape on for multiple seasons?

After a rain I notice moisture is held against the trunks of the smaller (more smooth barked) trees where the band of tape goes around it. I tried removing a piece to see when dry and felt like the trunk looked slightly dis colored where the tape had been. I would imagine the smaller trees will eventually snap the tape from stretching if left unaddressed.

Should I switch to marking paint? I have a pretty nice system going where I write the DBH on any tree over 3" so I can gauge the growth of those trees that I release with competitor cuts.

DuncanFTGC/SS
12-10-2015, 06:47 AM
I have had flagging tape around the benchmark, for elevation, tree on my property for 10 years. Other than the tree growing making the tape pretty tight, no issues. I have had maples marked with yellow flagging tape for three years now with no noticeable issues. When the tree grows far enough it breaks and blows away. That is probably the bigger issue.

tcross
12-10-2015, 06:48 AM
I did that to my small bush about 4 years ago... a lot of the trees have busted the tape or the weather or critters have done it! I probably have 50-60%% left up! I think you'll be fine!

ADK_XJ
12-10-2015, 03:09 PM
Good input, thank you both. I guess I'll leave my flagging up for the next couple years and transition to marking paint for any that falls off.

On the trees I plan to tap I'm using white and red cattle tags on house-facing side in place of tape.

maple flats
12-10-2015, 03:55 PM
I've actually seen a slight indent (girdling) on a few trees, given enough time, but most break the tape. There is a photo degradable tape, it degrades faster.