PDA

View Full Version : Mainline tensioning

steam maker
12-07-2015, 05:12 PM
So i got my wire up and was sitting here thinking of ways to stretch the mainline to the wire . Before we used wire rachets to washers with barb fitting thru washer to pull on each end . What other options do people use

GeneralStark
12-07-2015, 07:15 PM
So i got my wire up and was sitting here thinking of ways to stretch the mainline to the wire . Before we used wire rachets to washers with barb fitting thru washer to pull on each end . What other options do people use

Tension grips.

steam maker
12-07-2015, 07:33 PM
Tension grip on each end?

BreezyHill
12-07-2015, 07:36 PM
Grips and a winch on the atv, come along, high tensil fence and tightener, are just a few items used over the years. Most preferred and quickest to adjust over time is the HT fence and tightener.

Ben

unc23win
12-07-2015, 07:40 PM
Tension grip on each end?

Yes both ends works the best.

lpakiz
12-07-2015, 10:15 PM
If your mainline has any curves, just anchor each end as tight as necessary, before you wire-tie the pipe to the wire. Let the pipe take a short-cut thru each curve. Then, as you pull the pipe into the curves, the pipe will tighten naturally.
If your wire is pretty straight, then tension grips and a come-a-long.

WESTMAPLES
12-08-2015, 08:42 AM
i use large 10k lb trucking ratchet strap ratchets they pull great and are easy to backoff if need be, just pull the wire thru where the strap usually goes and crank no extra tools needed

BreezyHill
12-08-2015, 08:58 AM
12145 90 degree turn in the mainline held tight by two grips wired back to one J hook in a tree.

12146 This is a terminal end of a main feeding a ladder system. J hook secured to the tree.

12147 These are the two different styles of handles for the Gallagher rapid tightener. The one on the right is a ratchet style that will wind up tension in seconds.

JoeJ
12-08-2015, 06:51 PM
Ben,
I noticed in your pictures that you do not have a hose clamp on the tension grip. I would suggest to anyone using tension grip to put a hose clamp on the end of the grip ( if you don't already do it) to prevent the accidental loosing of the tension grip. It does not take much to loosen one of those grips.

Joe

BreezyHill
12-08-2015, 07:06 PM
Thanks for the recommendation but it one installs the grips holding the terminal end and pulls on the loop end and keeps tension the grip should not slide. We have never had one slip in the past 40+ years that was installed properly. This does not mean it can never happen but I have less faith in hose clamps than in grips. :)

Last year we cleaned up an old orange mainline that was easily 30 years old and te grip cut into the mainline as have those in the picture. Good grips will feel abrasive when you slide your hand across them. If they feel smooth then leave them at the store. Many electrical ones are very smooth so they do not harm the wire coating...steer clear of these.

Thanks Joe

Ben