PDA

View Full Version : snowshoes

maple flats
12-02-2015, 06:01 PM
I found a sale with Sportsman's guide for the magnesium military snowshoes on Cyber Monday, for $23 something. I apparently should have pointed it out sooner to you guys, since I see tonight that they are back to $49.99 if you are not in their buyers club. I have used a pair of these for a few years and really like them for when you have lots of snow. They usually sell for somewhere in the mid forties new and once I bought a pair for $35 or such used thru the Guide. I however do not like the military binding that comes with them. I have had various different bindings in the past. Last year I tried the Bob Maki rubber binding and in easy travel terrain they were my best yet, but once last season, as I was climbing out of a steep ravine, my snowshoe went thru and my foot ended up down way too far, caught in some limbs and brush. I was alone and it took me about a half hour to get myself free, I had figured if it got to be an hour I was going to cut the binding.
Anyway, this year I found one that looks to be ideal and I bought 1 to try. They proved to be super fast to mount on the snowshoes and fast to get my boot strapped into and then released. The new binding is lower priced than the Bob Maki's were too. My new best binding is the "world's best snowshoe Harness" my Marc Deschene in Maine.
When I found that super sale on the magnesium snowshoes I ordered 2 more pair and after trying the Marc's snowshoe harness I ordered 2 more of them as well. I now have 4 pr. of the Magnesium snowshoes, 3 Marc's harnesses and 1 wears the bob Maki binding.
I also have 3 other pair of Tubbs type bear paw snowshoes in 3 different sizes for use as snow conditions change. I got 3 extra of the mag ones to supply any help I may get for fixing lines and tapping if needed. Hopefully I bought enough that we won't get too much snow and I won't even need to use the snowshoes this year. If that happens it will be my best investment in a while.
Give the Marc's snowshoe Harness a look, they will be suited for traditional bear paws, Alaskan/Michigan/Yukon snowshoes or any bigger trail type snowshoe. I still get along well with the Tubbs type bear paws binding but not with the ones that are usually used for the snowshoes I mention as the ones these Marc's will fit best. If enough of us get these we can keep the snow down to a manageable depth and we will be able to leave the snowshoes home.

Rock Bottom Maple
12-12-2015, 02:52 PM
Hi, picked up a pair. Very nice for the price. No snow yet. So have not had a chance to try. Thanks for the info.

maple flats
12-13-2015, 05:25 AM
That's the best investment you can find. I wish I had bought some last year too, maybe then we would not have had 4' on the ground at tapping last year.
By the way, I ordered 2 pair this year and don't even know who will use them yet. With my member discount and a free shipping option, I got 2 pair at $22.50 ea. and they shipped free. Had I not been familiar with those snowshoes, I would not have even taken a chance thinking they must be junk at that price.