PDA

View Full Version : 3x10 small bros operation

jason loper
02-25-2007, 05:32 AM
I have a Small Bros 3x10 raised flue wood fired evap with 16' of stack and a blower on the fire box. This is a much bigger evap than I'm used to operating and I'm having some growing pains. The first problem I'm having is sparks blowing way out of my stack and i hate to turn my blower down because it seems to boil better. Does anyone us a spark arrester or any answers on how to solve this. second is I boiled about 300+ gallons and never got a draw and the syrup pan did not seem to boil very well. we put a lot more wood in and increased the boil but still did not seem just right. Any advise would be appreciated.

Pete33Vt
02-25-2007, 05:52 AM
As far as sparks not to big a deal unless it dry out.As far a draw off, how deep is your sap level in the rig? Whats your sap content? I know that the first boiling can take a while for draw and if your sap is not very sweet it takes even longer.

jason loper
02-25-2007, 06:06 AM
I did not measure the sugar content and I have to run the level about 2.5" because of where the therm is on the pan. The sparks are so bad that all the cars in the driveway had to be moved they were bad. I agree about the draw off taking longer but it's new this year and i feel like i'm missing something. how small is your wood split and how often do you fire.

ibby458
02-25-2007, 06:11 AM
I would also check to be sure it's level. If it's off much, that can have an effect.

You may have to live with the sparks flying out the stack. If it does dry out and you're worried about fire, put out sprinklers on the roof, etc. The rig I used last year had to have the blower going full blast all the time to get the back pan to boil full length. I never took any ashes out - they all blew out the stack! I tried a 1/8" mesh screen, but it plugged too fast, and actually burned thru in a couple days.

Russell Lampron
02-25-2007, 06:15 AM
Adding 4' to the stack will make it twice as tall as the evaporator is long and that may help with the spark issue. You want to use as little wood as possible, no more than 2 layers thick, and fire more often. You want the hottest part of the flames touching the bottom of the syrup pan. Too many btu's are wasted trying to burn a firebox full of wood.

The sap depth should be just enough to cover the pipes in the flue pan and about 1" to 1-1/2" in the syrup pan. Start at the deeper level and lower it some after you get used to the evaporator. I have a 2x6 and am not sure if 300 gallons is enough to sweeten the pans and draw off some syrup with a 3x10.

Russ

Fred Henderson
02-25-2007, 06:42 AM
Its a general rule of thumb that is takes about 100 gallons to sweeten the pan.

Pete33Vt
02-26-2007, 03:44 AM
Sounds like you need to get or make an adapter to get your therm down into the sap at a lower level.2.5" is alot of sap. And if your sugar content is down its going to take a very long time to draw off. My wood is mostly spilt down to about 4-5 " around and I try to fire around every 7-8 mins.

Parker
02-26-2007, 04:12 AM
In my evaporator I have 1/4" construction mesh between the stack and the evaporator,,that keeps my spark problem under control (cant see any at night come out of the stack when firing),,but it sounds like your blower blows harder than mine, my stack temp never gets ovet 250-300 deg.,is the air forced into the front or back of your firebox? is this a factory set up or something you built? Sounds like the blower is forcing the fire-heat too far back-up the stack?? As for your sap levels,,I run my syrup 1 3/4" deep in the syrup pan (old wavey pan, difficult to get first draw),,and like Russ said just a littel over the flues in the back pan,,,,I have never run a 3x10 but (and this is just a guess) i would not think 300 gallons of sap would be enough to get a draw? I like to wait till I have a least 800 gallons to boil...1000 is better

PA mapler
02-26-2007, 07:38 AM
Hi Jason!

Did you get that hood to fit your evaporator? And thanks for the pics of your blower. John has all the parts to put one together here, and we'll try to do about the same thing you did. I didn't realize about the sparks- at least if we get them I won't be freaking out wondering if I did something wrong! :)

It took about 10-12 hours boiling on my 2x6 last year to start drawing off, and I try to keep my syrup pan level 1-1/2 to 2". My trees usually run about 2% sugar.

Beth

jason loper
02-26-2007, 08:50 AM
Beth,

No I have it about 10" above the pans and put a draft inducer in the pipe to get the steam out it works good.

I am going to run the blower at a lower speed and get a different temp gauge with a longer stem so I can lower the level in the syrup pan.

Thanks for the info everyone

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-26-2007, 08:10 PM
Fred,

I would think it would take closer to 200 gallons to get drawoff on his size evaporator and that is if he is running the level around 1" and a lot more with 2.5". Doubt you will be anywhere close to 100 gallons with the new evaporator.

sbmaple
02-26-2007, 10:58 PM
On our 3x10 small bros you need at least 350 gals to sweeten the pans and get a draw 400 gals is better.We run about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 in the syrup pan Like Parker said wavy pan.You dont have to completely cover the temp probe.The temp probe in ours goes in the pan at an angle.

jason loper
02-27-2007, 07:20 AM
I looked at it last night with a longer temp probe and i was able to bend it down so I can run a lower level. I hope i get a chance to run it this friday.

Sugarmaker
02-27-2007, 08:55 PM
Jason,
We run a old 3 x 10 King drop flue, I guess I never thought much about the amount of sap to get the first draw off but I would agree that 2.5 is maybe a little deep. This is OK as you get used to the rig. Maybe you can go lower like 1.5 inches as you get more comfortable. At 2.5 inches it might take a long time to get syrup. As some one mentioned double check for level on the pans. I assume all the correct valves are closed and or open as required? I know that sounds dumb but had to ask.
I have two thermometers at the syrup draw off point. One is a horizontal probe into the side of the pan that is hooked to a low cost digital thermometer with a alarm. This is not for finishing syrup but will alert you if your not standing there watching. The second is a digital with a probe extending to within .5 inch of the pan bottom this one reads in tenths of a degree.

I would guess that we boil 4 hours at 80-90 Gph before we draw off, so I think you may be close except that you have a lot of sap there at 2.5 inches deep. If you keep going at that depth you might have 4-5 gallons at one draw off? Did you measure the sugar content near the thermometer? Should be indicating you are getting closer to syrup.

Regards,
Chris

3% Solution
02-28-2007, 07:00 AM
Hi Jason,
Hey I'm no expert, but I would say a few folks on here have you headed in the right direction.
As Russ said add 4 more feet of stack, I have always been told your stack needs to be 3x the length of your pan for proper draft, slow your blower down as someone else said, your blowing everything out the stack, good way to remove ash, remember your flue pan will boil different than your syrup pan because that sap has mega heat on three sides not just one.
I find with my little rig (2x5) that 1 1/4" in the pan is great, makes me nervous at times but it puts out the syrup pretty good.
The most important thing is don't be impatient, good things will come in time. Soon you will be saying, "When is this stuff going to stop running so hard!!"
Have fun and let us know.

Dave

jason loper
03-05-2007, 01:40 PM
Well I lowered the depth of syrup in the front pan, and slowed the fan down on my evap. i got rid of the sparks but it still didn't boil great. Then I started loading the wood closer to the door and the front pan boiled much better. So all in all i'm gaining but it takes awhile to become one with the machine. Thanks for your help