PDA

View Full Version : Best wood to use for structural timbers and board and batten siding?

claystroup
12-02-2015, 03:10 PM
I am starting to draw plans for either a 12' x 16' (no permit required) or 14' x 18' sugar shack (no permit required if built as agriculture exempt in Michigan) to build next summer. I have about a total of 50 trees to tap on my property and don't plan on getting much bigger as it is a retirement "Hobby" and not my source of income. I want to build it timber frame style like the old barns with either a 6/12 or 8/12 pitch roof and 8' sidewalls. I am going to go with regular footings (42") and 2 courses of 6" block and a 4" slab on sand backfill. There are 2 sawmills within 20 miles of me and I have talked to both of them and they can cut 6" x 6" timbers up to 22' out of pine, ash or white oak. They can also cut all of my exterior board and batten siding out of the same types of wood. Pine is the cheapest, white oak is the most expensive. My question is, which type of wood would be the best for the 6" x 6" timber framing(is pine strong enough) and which would be best for the exterior siding(hold up to the weather the best)? As much as I like the looks of unpainted weathered siding, I wood probably use a translucent gray tinted stain on the exterior. Thanks, Clay

BlueberryHill
12-02-2015, 03:34 PM
6x6 you would be good to go on a building that size. Pine would be strong enough. White oak would be pretty cool though!

maple flats
12-02-2015, 03:50 PM
Any of those are strong enough, but I'd suggest white oak for longevity, it will last for generations as the timber frame part of it. For the board and batten I'd much rather try to get Hemlock if possible. If you use pine board and batten it may not last as long. Pine does not like to get wet and if you have siding down at snow or splash height of the rain off the roof it will not be very pretty in 10-15 years. If you can get it hemlock will last far longer. Oak would again be the longest lasting, but also the most costly. I really can't say how the ash would hold up, even though I have my own sawmill, I never cut any ash into board and batten, that if nice most generally goes for furniture and if not nice it makes great firewood. I do suspect it would also be good for the 6x6 post & beam too, just not as good as the white oak.

asknupp
12-03-2015, 09:02 AM
Just finishing up a barn and lumber yard talked me into using poplar. They said that poplar has a natural preservative. More $ than pine but cheaper than oak. Plan to seal it with a clear sealant in the spring when things are warm enough again.12109

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
12-03-2015, 08:59 PM
Very nice attractive building.

asknupp
12-03-2015, 09:25 PM
Thanks westvirginia mapler. Ha-ha the wife thinks its only for storage. In a couple years it'll probably be sugarshack. Already have sugarshack but its aa 12x16. Looking to possibly out growing in a few years. Time will tell!

optionguru
12-04-2015, 12:43 PM
I am almost done with my 14x16 and I used 8x8 hemlock and hemlock ship lap siding Overbuilt it but I love it. I've used hemlock on a few out buildings in the past and it holds up well. I also spray it with a mixture of 1/3 Thompsons, 1/3 Mineral Spirits 1/3 used motor oil. Probably not the EPA's first choice but it gives it a nice color, no bugs touch it and it doesn't fade out.

12125 12126

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
12-04-2015, 08:00 PM
Very nice building also.

CTsap
12-05-2015, 06:21 PM
With those options I would do both framing and siding in pine. Pine 6x6 will be plenty strong and easier to work with.

maple flats
12-06-2015, 07:46 AM
I have heard of old barn siding in poplar that is still good after generations, with little or no paint. I do not know which poplar that is. Tulip poplar on the stump, dead sure does not last well, but that may have no bearing on what the siding might do that is made from tulip.