PDA

View Full Version : Putting taps on ahead of time

PATheron
12-01-2015, 11:23 AM
I have a question about putting taps on ahead of time. Usually I put my taps on ahead and let them hang so I can tap faster if I can. This year im putting some on while its still warm out. If the taps hang on the drops and they are new is there much contamination in a month of non frozen weather just hanging in the woods? Im going to do it either way because its the most cost effective way for me to do it myself and will allow me to tap really fast early plus Im not making mersh syrup anymore so they don't have to run quite as long anyway. Just wondered how much contamination you get hanging in the air like that. Thanks Theron

unc23win
12-01-2015, 01:36 PM
Theron that is what I am going to do this season I am going to put new spouts on hopefully over Christmas break from school and have them ready to go. Then I can spend my time after that getting everything ready to go and maybe add on some before tapping. I have talked to a few others who do the same I know Spud has his kids change spouts over Christmas break from school. Your still spending the same amount of time in the woods total (maybe less depending on snow fall), but making tapping time (perhaps the most important time of all) count the most. Say you have 10,000 taps and it takes you 10 seconds a spout to cut one off and put a new one on that's like 27 hours spent changing spouts ahead of time or 3 more days added to your tapping time.

I don't think temperatures have to be below freezing to avoid contamination your lines should already be dry and the new spout should be fairly clean. Contaminating mold or bacteria needs warm and moist conditions. Seems like someone told me they look for the temperature to be consistently below 50 to change spouts ahead of time, which is probably a good rule of thumb.

Like you said you have to do what is the most effective for you. For us in PA I'd like to see a 6 week long or longer season that starts in February.

PATheron
12-01-2015, 02:34 PM
Jared- Im hoping for a season like that too. Putting the taps out ahead lets you spread out the time so you can do more yourself is my thinking. Then when you tap its crazy fast and a lot more fun. Now that the junk isn't valuable at all the early stuff is all the gravy seems to me. Plus the lines are working for the real thing. Im hoping for warmer weather too last two years been to cold. I hadn't heard the 50 degree thing but that sounds reasonable. Hope you have a good season Jared. Theron