PDA

View Full Version : Affordable auto draw off

Clinkis
11-28-2015, 08:54 AM
4 years ago I purchased a Maple Guru auto draw off. It's worked pretty good and I've made a lot of syrup with it but unfortunately I've learned why all manufacturers have gone away from diaphragm valves. They require constant cleaning, especially late in the season. I've decided to upgraded and have been doing some research on what's available. I am looking for an affordable, simple and reliable auto draw off. Any suggestions? I've been looking at the Smokey Lake auto draw offs. Anybody have any feedback on them?

lpakiz
11-28-2015, 07:21 PM
Yup, I used one. I had a M_______land and had to watch for the valve plugging. The first SL version had valve problems, too. The SL unit I have now is utterly reliable. So is the SL float system.
I can leave an absolute beginner at the evap and leave and go to the woods and not worry a bit. If you have the 240 gallon head tank full, there is no worry for over 2 hours.

Clinkis
11-30-2015, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Does anyone know if you can get the smokey lake with a 3/4" valve? Can't find the info on their website.

BreezyHill
11-30-2015, 06:46 PM
I built mine from parts off ebay, PID was $10, SS valve in 3/4" was $55, relay and heat sink was another $10, elec wire and conduit from Home Depot was around $20, #3 for a switch to turn on the system and my air under fire or just the system no fan in case the temp got to hot. Adding an alarm and warning lights for next season and a sap flood valve for high temp over run.

Several in my area use these systems now. Cheap and you can get spare parts to have on hand and fix pretty quick if needed.

Ben

lpakiz
11-30-2015, 09:12 PM
The SL is a 1 inch valve. If you want to reduce it, try to orientate the valve vertical.

Urban Sugarmaker
12-01-2015, 06:20 AM
I have the SL valve in 3/4". Just call them and order direct.

Tweegs
12-01-2015, 02:26 PM
I did almost the exact same thing as Breezy with a PID, RTD and valve. With switches, wiring, box and other necessaries it was around $100.

I installed an RTD on each side of the syrup pan and ran those to a switch to select between right and left draw off. The valve is mounted with a quick disconnect (US Plastics). To change sides, move the plugs in the pan, flip a switch and move the valve. Whole process takes about 30 seconds.

Clinkis
12-01-2015, 03:17 PM
Would anyone mind sending me a few pics or schematic of their home built auto draw off? I've looked on eBay and there are a lot of different pids. Thanks

CharlieVT
12-01-2015, 04:28 PM
Would anyone mind sending me a few pics or schematic of their home built auto draw off? I've looked on eBay and there are a lot of different pids. Thanks

Here's a post in an older thread about home brew autodraw offs. If you spend some time searching the old threads, you'll find lots of info.
This post lists parts, etc.:
http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?21428-Anyone-build-their-own-autodraw-off&p=232020#post232020