PDA

View Full Version : SS bucket spouts

Fred Henderson
02-24-2007, 09:54 AM
In regards to the SS 5/16" bucket spout ( straight one with the flange). I was in the shop this morning and I took a SS 3/8" nut and drilled it out to 11/32" and then let the drill wobble around a bit. I could then take the spout and drive it into the the nut for a good snug fit. I don't know if this will solve the leaking on the ground problem or not. I have 50 of these spouts and will try a few.

super sappy
02-24-2007, 10:00 AM
when they make them if they used a washer with 5/16 hole and slid it back onto the tap 1/2 " I think these would be perfect. I did the same thing with the nut and flared the botton of the hole in the bucket uith needle nose pliers.When the sap runs we shall see.SS

Fred Henderson
02-24-2007, 11:11 AM
In the 07 Maple Pro catalog on page 9 item # 3 shows a straight spout like the bucket spout but it has an entension to it . They told me ot was made for tubing and I think the it would be perfect for buckets. Anyone know if Maple Pro has closed up shop for good? Their new web site sure as heck in not up and running.

super sappy
02-24-2007, 12:14 PM
When I saw those in glen goodriches catalogue I called and asked him about them .He said that they are tiny and most likely will not work.I guess the pic in the catalogue is blown up some. SS

hard maple
02-24-2007, 04:54 PM
sugarmakers doing the the R&D once again. I wonder if these spouts will someday be listed in the "discontinued" section.

Fred Henderson
02-24-2007, 07:10 PM
I plan on developing a whole new SS bucket spout and when I do I will share it with fellow maplers by not the equip dealers.

brookledge
02-24-2007, 08:57 PM
It seems like the manufactuers would do more R&D before investing in it and selling a product that is doomed from the beginning. Just like those micro spouts they came out with them and then discontinued them a year later. If they had made a prototype they would have seen the problems with them and saved themselves alot.
Keith

Russell Lampron
02-25-2007, 04:59 AM
The dealers sold alot of micro spouts. The sugarmakers that bought them were the ones who lost the money on those. They lost the money spent on the spouts that were $1.25 each and they lost the volume of sap that they didn't get because of them.

My thought was that if they had come out with a 1/4" spout instead of 3/16" they might have worked.

Russ

ibby458
02-25-2007, 06:25 AM
That brings up an interesting question. Why was 5/16 settled on for tubing size? Suspicious minds gotta wonder if it's ONLY because it's an oddball size, and tees, adaptors and other fittings are not readily availble EXCEPT from maple dealers. I can get 1/4 and 3/8 fittings anywhere, but never 5/16. I asked a dealer once and he just chuckled and said "Why do you think?"

hard maple
02-25-2007, 07:25 AM
Fred
I'm thinking like you on this one. I just didn't have enough time this year. And glad I didn't go ahead and copy their design.

tuckermtn
02-25-2007, 09:09 PM
I went to check on the 5 buckets I hung the other day with the new SS bucket spouts and the buckets and lids were all over the place. granted its been more than average windy the last 3 days, but to find all of them looking like a big ole' yard sale was discouraging.

I plan on trying out some plastic wire ties/pull ties on the spouts- just zip them on with the bump on the top and then cut off the tail. Hopefully that will keep the bucket a little further in on the spout.

so far, not so good w/ the new spouts

-tuckermtn

Fred Henderson
02-26-2007, 05:12 AM
I want to try the hook for the old tin spout. Just slip the spout into the ring.

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
02-26-2007, 07:03 AM
What about this idea for next year? Take a pair of vernier calipers and get the measurement before the collar-Now drill a new hole in the top rim of the bucket just a hair bigger then the dia. of the spout-drill tap hole into the tree-now insert tap through hole in bucket and then tap spout into the tree and just rotate the bucket on the spout to empty it.

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
02-26-2007, 07:04 AM
What about this idea for next year? Take a pair of vernier calipers and get the measurement before the collar-Now drill a new hole in the top rim of the bucket just a hair bigger then the dia. of the spout-drill tap hole into the tree-now insert tap through hole in bucket and then tap spout into the tree and just rotate the bucket on the spout to empty it.

OR Try a rubber gourmet in the original hole first that will allow the spout to go through but not the flared end of the spout?

Fred Henderson
02-26-2007, 09:01 AM
That sounds like a good place to start but here is one better I am sending my 50 back. Maybe they can use them for fill in their driveway because they would not even make good scrap metal.

Russell Lampron
02-26-2007, 11:46 AM
Fred,

Try the ones from Leader. They are more expensive but they work.

Russ

tuckermtn
02-26-2007, 12:50 PM
my SS taps are going back also...I'm going to keep the few that I have fiddled with but the rest are getting traded for the Leader ones...But now I have 150 buckets with holes that might be too big...

live and learn...

-tuckermtn

Fred Henderson
02-26-2007, 01:10 PM
Are you guys talking about the Leader alu hookless spout?

tuckermtn
02-26-2007, 05:12 PM
Fred- yes- I will go back to using the Leader hookless ones... altough I converted 20 taps today that I was going to use buckets on to tubing and totes...and they were running today...

-tuckermtn

Russell Lampron
02-26-2007, 06:02 PM
Fred,

Yes, they are the aluminum 5/16" hookless ones. I started using them 5 years ago and am going to use them 100% this year.

Tuckermtn,

How big did you make the holes in your buckets? I enlarged all of mine to 3/4" so that the bucket will slide over them. If your holes are that size or a little bigger you won't have a problem.

Russ

Fred Henderson
02-26-2007, 07:17 PM
I will call my local dealer to see if he has any. I plan on tapping the 9 or 10 of march.

tuckermtn
02-28-2007, 05:39 AM
Russ- I drilled the holes out to something just shy of 3/4" so they still should be fine...I tried some yesterday with the leader hookless and they seemed to hang fine. Keeping my fingers crossed when the wind blows

-tuckemtn

Fred Henderson
02-28-2007, 09:49 AM
I just sent my SS one back to maple pro this morning. Yesterday I picked up 35 of the leader hookless.

Russell Lampron
02-28-2007, 11:44 AM
I think you guys will be happy with the leader spouts. Just looking at the picture the stainless ones didn't look like they would work. They don't stick into the bucket far enough for the sap to go into the bucket. They would probably work good on telephone poles though.

This has been a good thread. Hopefully someone else won't have to spend their hard earned to do the manufactures r&d for them.

Russ

hard maple
02-28-2007, 12:19 PM
I'm glad I only bought one spout. So they only soaked me for $1.10
On a side note, it only runs a fraction of what my 7/16 spouts run.

Fred Henderson
02-28-2007, 03:31 PM
I got more steel spouts than I can ever use but its always nice to try something new. I use mostly cast iron ones. 2 or 3 will break each year and we just chuck them.

Dave Y
03-01-2007, 06:42 PM
I bought 100 of the 5/16 IPL spout. So far I don't like them. I have had 3 come out of the tree. half a doz. or more buckets blown off. The bucket blowing around on the spout wears a grove in the spout. They don't seal well and to top it off half of them are running down the out side of the bucket. The only way I see these working, is to drill your hole straight in, not at an upward angle and then do not ream the hole in the bucket. Tap threw the hole in the bucket and swivel the bucket to empty. The worst money I have spent to date sugaring. Just my opinion.

Fred Henderson
03-01-2007, 07:17 PM
Some of my buckets are worn so bad it wouldn't make any differences if I drill them out or not. I would have to drill a whole new hole.