PDA

View Full Version : Evaporator Extension

derekp
11-21-2015, 09:56 AM
Has anyone ever extended their evaporator? Right now I have a 2x4 leader wse arch and I am contemplating giving it the chop to extend it to a 2x6..seems pretty simple of an idea but can't find much on anyone else doing it..just some angle iron and galv sheet metal right??any thoughts??

n8hutch
11-21-2015, 11:56 AM
That's about all there is to it, I would but your arch rail extensions and brace the underside with some flat Bar.

derekp
11-22-2015, 12:53 AM
Where abouts are you in Chatham Nate? I worked over there all summer! Chatham's got some nice woods!

n8hutch
11-22-2015, 08:25 AM
I am in the south west corner, near Hurricane mtn rd.

Big_Eddy
11-26-2015, 11:51 AM
I am in the south west corner, near Hurricane mtn rd.

Cool - I'm from a long way away, but I recognize the spot. I've probably driven right past a number of times. We like to spend a week or two hiking in that area late summer. No mountains around my place :(

derekp
12-04-2015, 06:38 AM
Nice...we updated a lot of the Forest Service boundary lines more towards Evans Notch last year. 9 miles of new paint! Don't get to play in woods like that too often!Everything up my way has been mowed over time and time again

Big_Eddy
12-04-2015, 07:18 AM
Nice...we updated a lot of the Forest Service boundary lines more towards Evans Notch last year. 9 miles of new paint! Don't get to play in woods like that too often!Everything up my way has been mowed over time and time again
Small world. I probably saw your new paint!
We were staying at Basin Pond late August. Hiked most of the trails in the area over a 10 day period. We noticed the new marking at various places just to the south of there.

RC Maple
12-04-2015, 08:03 AM
Has anyone ever extended their evaporator? Right now I have a 2x4 leader wse arch and I am contemplating giving it the chop to extend it to a 2x6..seems pretty simple of an idea but can't find much on anyone else doing it..just some angle iron and galv sheet metal right??any thoughts??

I don't have a evaporator made by any recognized manufacturer. I started with a barrel evaporator that I bought at an auction - I don't even know who made it. It was originally a 1.5x2 ft divided pan that sat on top of the cut out section of the barrel. I took it to a local fab shop and they added a foot to the barrel and altered it so that it could accomodate the wider pan. They also made me a wider pan which for the past 3 seasons I have been using. Here are some pictures of the evaporator as it is now. When they made it wider they brought the sides up and made a rail with angle iron that the pan sits in instead of having it rest on the cut out section of the barrel. I don't know if that helps you but I think you're right that some sheet metal and angle iron should do it. You will probably have to play with the air flow in the box then to get it so it heats the pan the way you want.

derekp
12-04-2015, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the info!I extended my 2x4 out to a 2x6 and it was simple. The stack adapter and legs unbolted from the rest of the arch and I was able to slide the firebox forward. I had 2' pieces of angle iron welded to the existing rails and then bolted back on to the stack adapter. I was lucky enough to have my uncle in law, who is a tinsmith, bend me a piece of galv. sheet metal that fit right over the whole extension. A few rivots later, she was back in one piece. After, I bolted a piece of c channel under the middle of where the sheet metal overlap was and attached legs which were made from pipe with threaded rod in the center, which threads into the c channel...basically mini lolly collumns..a few cranks on the adjustment nut and everything was straight and tight...i'll try to get some more photos up soon!

n8hutch
12-04-2015, 02:35 PM
Derek, I was just Hunting up around the Basin today, didn't see much sign, what A strange Fall we have had. At least we can look forward to spring right?

derekp
12-07-2015, 09:42 PM
Season was bad up this way this year. I personally couldnt get out much with a new 5 month old at home but the rest of the guys got a goose egg out of a crew of 5 at camp, and all of the other good old boys that usually pile them up got skunked too..one of my buddies that consistently shoots 200+ lb bucks every year hunted over 20 days straight and only saw 1 buck...only a few random ones here and there...nothing like years past that's for sure!!

optionguru
12-08-2015, 12:55 PM
Should be pretty easy if you can weld. I built both of my evaporators, I'm currently building one for the local school and using all bed frame rails for the angle and an old dumpster for the sheet metal. Recycling at its best. Good luck.

derekp
12-13-2015, 07:08 PM