PDA

View Full Version : Solar powered diaphragm pump on 3/16

PerryFamily
11-18-2015, 08:16 PM
I have a small bush ( 200 taps on 550' of 3/4" main) that I am considering selling the delaval 76 and installing 3/16 laterals. 80% of the laterals are super steep with 7-10 taps per. I'm thinking about adding a diaphragm pump for the other 20% that isn't so steep and to increase vac on the whole system.

I'm wondering if anyone has used a 12volt pump with a deep cycle battery ( or 2) but that's charged with a solar setup. This faces dead south and is wide open. Thinking you could charge the battery's and maybe run a thermostatic switch to turn the pump on and off.

Any ideas?? A

maple flats
11-19-2015, 04:55 AM
If you try that, you want an MPPT charge controller to maximize the solar potential. Also, don't just get a "kit" from places like Harbor Freight or Sportsman's Guide. Panel prices have come down a lot and those type places do not reflect that. Just try a search for the "best solar prices" in any search engine. An MPPT (maximum power point tracking) controller will give you 95%+ of the power while a PWM (pulse width modulation) controller is lucky to give you 45-50%.

Biz
11-20-2015, 08:41 AM
I had a Shurflo pump on battery with 45 watt solar controller last year with mixed results. First problem, I did not use a deep cycle battery, just a car battery, so it would only pump a few hrs after sunset on warm evenings. Surprising how many warm evenings we had last year! Second problem, I did not get enough sunlight, and it would also not charge well on overcast days. Other problem is the solar charger would disconnect everything if the pump was running, solar was charging, but battery was down around 10 volts. Live and learn. I am going to get a deep cycle battery next year, and try to position the solar panel better, and connect direct to battery (through a fuse) instead of solar charger "Load" output.

Dave

DrTimPerkins
11-20-2015, 09:07 AM
I am going to get a deep cycle battery next year, and try to position the solar panel better, and connect direct to battery (through a fuse) instead of solar charger "Load" output.

It's been a long time since I used a solar charger/deep cycle battery to run equipment, so things might have changed quite a bit, but as I recall, if you don't use a blocking diode of some sort (usually built into the solar charger), during cloudy/night periods the battery can "power" the solar panels and drain the batteries.

Unfortunately the reality is that it is often cloudy (or dark) in March and April, so solar power during that time can be a real problem.

You might be better off using a small generator to charge the batteries, or a gasoline powered pump. However if you can make it work, I'd be more than happy to be wrong and I'm sure many here would be very interested to hear of success.

maple flats
11-20-2015, 04:11 PM
Dr. Tim is correct, solar is not an easy solution. I know, since I have 6.32KW (6320 watts) of solar at the sugarhouse. Even with that much, during full production, (lights, filter press, R.O. and a few other things,) I end up using some power from the grid. At all other times of the year I send my excess to my home thru the grid. If you are calculating the needed panel array wattage needed, for use at that time of year, you should go 4 to maybe even 6x what formulas tell you is needed. Even with that, they must be in full sun and not have any shade pass across the panels. You may also need more than 1 battery too. You should realize that a battery should never be drained below 50% power and should then be recharged soon after or you get sulfation on the plates. This sulfation once there can never be corrected, it is a permanant problem, eventually killing the battery.
Good luck.

PerryFamily
11-20-2015, 07:42 PM
There is a gas powered delaval 76 there right now that when running works well but I had lots of problems with this pump last year. I'd like swap to 3/16 but maybe just a more reliable electric pump would be better.
What would be a good option? It's only 200 taps. Maybe something that could be run on a 1500-2500 watt generator.