PDA

View Full Version : wood stove door

Bricklayer
11-18-2015, 03:54 AM
Was wondering if anyone has used a cast woodstove door with glass as an arch door. My plan is to cut the whole front off an old woodstove it's 1/4" maybe thicker plate steel and attach it to arch front. It's from an airtight stove so it will save me the hassle of building one. And I will be able to see what's going on in the fire box. The stove is only about 10 years old so guarantee it's ceramic glass

n8hutch
11-18-2015, 05:46 AM
I have seen a picture of one somebody did just as you describe. Guess the only downside I can see is Having to be careful around the glass. Good luck, post some pics.

Bricklayer
11-18-2015, 06:39 AM
1380 F is the rating for the glass. I'm going to buy a spare piece of it just in case. Only problem is I won't be able to insulate the door

n8hutch
11-18-2015, 08:10 AM
I doubt you will have an issue temperature wise with the glass, I just was referring to the potential to break it with a piece of wood. I'm sure it will work fine, you can make your firebox a little deeper & keep the heat away from the Door, my syrup pan sits 6" back from my arch front.

Bricklayer
11-18-2015, 08:48 AM
It will work out that my pan is 4" away from the door, the front of the woodstove has air wash but to try and incorporate that into arch might be hard. I will post some pics when I get it cut up and ready to install.