PDA

View Full Version : Which is better?

lew
11-15-2015, 07:24 AM
Which is better?

In a vacuum situation, when your mainline has to be relatively high, is it better to have the 5/16 tubing run a negative slope(run uphill) to the mainline and keep the drop line running into the 5/16(tapped above the 5/16) or is it better to have the 5/16 run a positive slope to the mainline and have the drop line tapped in below the 5/16? I'm thinking that a positive slope to the mainline is better, if possible.

GeneralStark
11-15-2015, 12:44 PM
Which is better?

In a vacuum situation, when your mainline has to be relatively high, is it better to have the 5/16 tubing run a negative slope(run uphill) to the mainline and keep the drop line running into the 5/16(tapped above the 5/16) or is it better to have the 5/16 run a positive slope to the mainline and have the drop line tapped in below the 5/16? I'm thinking that a positive slope to the mainline is better, if possible.

If I am reading the Proctor study on tapping below the lateral correctly, it appears there is little loss in production when doing so. IN fact the study suggests there will be an increase in sap yields in trees that have been previously tapped because you are accessing better wood.

I don't know your specific situation and I am sure there are several factors like # of taps per lateral and the length of the lateral, but my suspicion is that your thinking is right on.

lew
11-15-2015, 04:01 PM
My specific situation is that where my 3/4 inch mainline enter the wet/dry the 3/4 are shoulder height or better. So, obviously the 5/16 are going to be hard to tap. This is a new installation, so finding new wood is not a problem. Unfortunately the wet/dry cannot be lowered due to topography. The only problem is at this end.

Chicopee Sap Shack
11-15-2015, 04:19 PM
Run the 5/16 with as much pitch to the main as possible and adjust taps as needed at the tree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sunday Rock Maple
11-15-2015, 05:16 PM
I saw Dr Tim's presentation on tapping below the lateral last spring at Leader and intend to raise the end of one of my main lines (that is currently too flat over a long stretch so that we sometimes get slugging). I'm thinking that's got to result in better vacuum at the end of line and hopefully more sap.