PDA

View Full Version : Wire question

steam maker
11-09-2015, 06:28 PM
Setting up a new bush , have always wrapped the end trees with old mainline with the wire running through it . Wondering if people liked the j hooks for the end of the mainlines ? My problem is there isnt any good non maple anchor trees . So i would be putting the jhooks into maples. What does less damage wrapping the tree or the jhooks?

Thompson's Tree Farm
11-09-2015, 07:47 PM
Most studies show the J hooks, when properly installed, do less damage.

Sunday Rock Maple
11-09-2015, 08:08 PM
We've done both and use only the hooks now.

GeneralStark
11-09-2015, 08:11 PM
Through bolting the tree can be a good method in some situations as well. This is a tried and true method in the arborist world.

steam maker
11-09-2015, 08:15 PM
Which jhooks the ones with the black insulator on it or the galvanized dipped one like the power company use

BreezyHill
11-11-2015, 09:11 AM
12069http://www.ebay.com/itm/271283212123?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Used them since 1980 and never had an issue with tree damage. Trees will grow around them if you don't turn them out ever 5-15 years depending on the tree growth speed.

They also work great to make a right angle in the main with the use of two grips.

Ben

morningstarfarm
11-11-2015, 05:30 PM
I'm in the process of changing all my mains over to hooks..have tried both but prefer the black plastic insulated ones..

steam maker
11-11-2015, 06:15 PM
Breezy u use the galvanized ones ? Do u predrill a hole in tree? And chris can u wheel rite into them ones with the insulater on it ? Im afraid of pulling them straight? But like normal im probly over thinking it again

BreezyHill
11-11-2015, 07:03 PM
Breezy u use the galvanized ones ? Do u predrill a hole in tree? And chris can u wheel rite into them ones with the insulater on it ? Im afraid of pulling them straight? But like normal im probly over thinking it again

Fence installation I drive straight in tree or utility poles. For maple no hole if other than maple and on maple I do a tap size pilot hole 1" deep.

steam maker
11-11-2015, 07:21 PM
So let me get this rite if into a maple u pilot drill a tap size hole one inch deep then drive them in or screw them in?

lpakiz
11-11-2015, 07:34 PM
I buy 1/2 by 6 lag bolts and weld a 5/16 or 3/8 by 4 inch rod across the head, centered. I drill cross-holes for cotter pins in it before welding it.
On one "leg" I put a white porcelain corner fence insulator. The other leg can be used to anchor the pipe when I use the woven grip.
I drill a pilot hole several inches deep, 13/32 or so. I use a piece of 3/8 pipe about a foot long to screw it in. Never had one fail.

BreezyHill
11-11-2015, 07:41 PM
Drive in..,pilot hole is so I don't split the bark. Screw out as the tree grows...small trees more often than on big trees. Some monster trees I have not had to spin out for 20-25 years. But on small trees I have ad them grow around the J Hook.

on the ends I use a length of HT fence wire and a Gallagher rapid tightener to tension the tubing if no support wire. If support wire I tension that and then use a grip and ratcheting strap tool that is 20' long to tighten the tubing and then tie off the HT wire to the Jhook.

This is the other option I use on side of buildings; but it could be used on a tree with a backer board and two Lag bolts. Unistrut. Adjustable height and works well if doing a wet dry line in the woods.

In the pic it is used to hold my Dry line manifold and the dry lines are tied off to it *** well, using the right angle brackets and a replacement link in the hole for a smooth surface that will not cut the wire.

steam maker
11-11-2015, 08:31 PM
Im gonna do a couple test bolts tommorow on some crap trees around the house, they seem like it would be faster and better for the trees

rhwells2003
12-08-2015, 07:08 AM
I'm in the process of helping my father set up his woods, and I told him to anchor bolt the trees with the "J" hooks instead of wrapping the trees. His woods are 90% maple so he didn't like the idea of putting anchor bolts into his maples so he asked the pipe supplier what he thought. The pipe supplier said the installation of the "J" hook anchor bolt damages the tree less then actually tapping your tree. When you tap your tree you pull the spout out and theres an open wound and the tree dies a little around that tap hole. The "J" hook anchor doesn't ever come out so no open wound, the tree kind of grows around it.

Also thought this was interesting and makes sense. He also said anchoring is way better then the wrap around technique b/c all the pressure you put on your wire when you wrap around the tree your pretty much tightly girdling your trees. This can significantly stunt your trees growth and even possibly kill them.

I have 400 taps around the house and all of them are on mainlines that are wrapped and not anchored. After hearing this my job next summer is anchoring all my mainlines!

Make sure you only anchor in a hardwood tree of some sort though. Softwoods aren't strong enough to hold the anchors when tensioned

BreezyHill
12-08-2015, 10:37 AM
RH,
Your guy is pretty close. There is some damage to the tree if you do not drill a pilot hole. The splitting action of the point of the J will create an opening above and below the hole that will be nearly as deep as the hook penetrates and as much as an inch above and below. This will allow in disease and contaminates that will harm the tree. I have several J Hooks in pine trees with no issues since mid 1980's.

We are part way done with retubing the farm and all J hooks installed use a pilot hole the size of the tapping bit and all have been in maples. I just don't tap that tree the installation season.

I have had to cut about 10 dead maples that were girdled by baler twine tied to the trees to mark them for tapping. This was my dad and brothers mistake back in 05 or so. I found these in parts that we had never tapped before.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/271283212123?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This is where I get mine now. Better price than the warehouse even.

12149 This is one J to hold on a 90 degree turn of the main...two grips used. I also use these12150.

to tesion the lines into corners or use two when needing to work on the mainline.

They are called open grips and you have along single wire to lace the grip closed. Lacing takes about a minute and about two to unlace after it has been used. Check in with my fellow CDL dealers for these handy tools.

Ben

Ragged View
02-16-2016, 03:11 PM
These look like they would work well for me in a couple places. No luck finding them yet though.
Can you give me more info about manufacturer or supplier?
Thanks,
Mark

BreezyHill
02-16-2016, 03:30 PM
Open grips are a CDL product.

Ragged View
02-16-2016, 05:59 PM
Thanks. I see them on p. 26 of the 2016 catalog.
http://www.cdlusa.net/Data/Sites/8/media/catalogue-2016-usa-web.pdf