PDA

View Full Version : Using a 8x10 walk in refrigerator

jamesd14
11-08-2015, 09:32 PM
This is my second year making maple syrup, last year I used homemade cinder block arch with hotel pans boiling outside in the open, this year I bought a Mason 2x3 and would like to boil inside. I have an older Nor-lake 8x10 walk in refrigerator without the cooling units, I am trying to see if I could convert this into a nice and small sugar shack. I do have a 3x3 stainless steel steam hood out of a kitchen I could mount over the evaporator pan. I will only be boiling the sap in the sugar shack and finishing in the house. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, I will have just under 50 taps.

Ed R
11-09-2015, 06:44 AM
I think that would work fine to boil out of. There are a lot of repurposed sugar shacks out there. Are you going to go thru the roof with both your steam stack and smoke stack? That is probably your best option if this is your long term solution. I've used flex duct (plastic duct with spiral wire in it) to redirect steam off of my 2x6's hood and out an existing second floor window of my mini barn. You might be able to redirect your steam out thru your entrance if the cooler has enough height. That might save you from one penetration.

jamesd14
11-09-2015, 07:08 AM
I do plan on going through the roof with steam and smoke stack. I am hoping it does not get to humid in there. The ceiling height is only around 6'9 so the steam hood will only be about 10 inches above preheated pan.

Ed R
11-09-2015, 09:01 AM
You will be fine then . Don't extend the steam stack to far above the roof line to keep condensation from forming and dripping back in.

jamesd14
11-09-2015, 11:17 AM
How far would you recommend extending the steam stack. Also inside the hood is a lip with hoses attached so hopefully any condensate that does come down will get caught in the lip. Also do you think I would need a fan of some sort it the hood or just let it go up. Also how far do you think I should go up with smoke stack and would it be better to go out roof or run it out the side and then up.on the mason 2x3 the smoke stack comes horizontal out the back.

maple flats
11-09-2015, 11:29 AM
The sooner you turn and go vertical the better. A horizontal stack does not vent very well. You should put an elbow on the stack outlet and go straight up from there. On a 2x3 go a minimum of 6' up, yours will need to be higher because from where it goes thru the roof it should extend at least 3' above the roof.

Ed R
11-09-2015, 11:57 AM
The steam stack should be just tall enough to keep snow from melting back in. Not sure what typical snowfall is in your area. No vent blower is needed.

jamesd14
11-09-2015, 02:20 PM
Oh thank you very much, last year we got 109 inches but that was well above normal for Southern CT.