PDA

View Full Version : Little bubbles

Rangdale
11-07-2015, 01:06 PM
We went to start bottling some of our syrup for Christmas gifts and took it out of the fridge (we have a spare fridge we store it in) and heated it to 185 and bottled it into 8oz bottles. Once it cooled we noticed a few of the bottles had some small bubbles at the top, almost like foam and some did not. If shaken they will go away but appear again later. I thought the density must be off but opened one of the bottles and tested it at the 60 degree mark and right on. It looks fine and tastes great so not sure what the heck it is. I can't say I've ever noticed it before but we make such a little amount (only 5-6 gallons) that I can't honestly remember. Any ideas??

Daveg
11-09-2015, 07:28 PM
This is pure speculation. Could it be because it was refrigerated, air that had condensed into liquid became gas as you reheated it and if you had brought it back up to 212' it would have "gassed off" completely, but because you only heated it to 185' it wasn't enough heat to eliminate the vapor (your bubbles)?

Sunday Rock Maple
11-09-2015, 08:18 PM
Was it filtered?

Rangdale
11-10-2015, 08:59 AM
Yes, it was filtered upon initial canning and was and still is crystal clear (no niter). We've done this same process before (store in fridge before bottling) and haven't noticed this issue before, but again, don't make that much so perhaps it's always done this an just never noticed. Just strange that some bottles have it and some don't. There is no off taste or anything so I guess I'll just keep those for myself and give away the others.